Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, My name is Jack and im 15 years old. Im in my final year of school and I should hopefully finish with 7 GCSE's Being: English, Maths, Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Drama and Spanish C-A, English being a C and Maths a B also a few B-Tecs. My dreams since I can remember is to be a pilot, the past few months Ive taken a keen interest into the RAF and learned its a high demanding job and also hard to get into because of the competition. I'm planning to do A level Maths, Physics, Computing and Creative Media Production (Video Editing) in college. I'm not 100% sure how the RAF works, as in how to become a pilot, Ive looked but Ive been told different things. I basically want to know the best route to take in become a pilot, my preference in a Fast Jet Pilot, but I know you don't get a say in what you become only a preference. My uncle in a LA pilot (Light Aircraft) and he is going to teach me how to fly and they all I will have to do is pay for an instructor to put me through a test and I will then be a qualified LA Pilot, so by the time I apply for the RAF I will already have this. Im trying to get any advantage possible as this is my dream and I wont give it up easily :P. Is there any advice you can give me on my choices and how I could go by doing this the best way possible. And if the choices I'm making are actually beneficial.

ReputationRep:
    You need to pass all the medicals first most fast jet pilots are at the ssme physical standard as an astronaut.

Most fast jet pilots are also graduates. Since the air fleet was downsized, they have become even more selective.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Jacktar)
    I'm planning to do A level Maths, Physics, Computing and Creative Media Production (Video Editing) in college.

My uncle in a LA pilot (Light Aircraft) and he is going to teach me how to fly and they all I will have to do is pay for an instructor to put me through a test and I will then be a qualified LA Pilot, so by the time I apply for the RAF I will already have this.

Is there any advice you can give me on my choices and how I could go by doing this the best way possible. And if the choices I'm making are actually beneficial.

Drop the Creative Media Production and focus on getting the best grades you can, in the three most academic A levels you can.

Go to University and do the most academic subject you can (but any traditional, academic subject will do, prepare for the career you will have if you can't join the Armed Forces).

Don't sweat over the expense of getting a PPL. Learning to fly to PPL standard is often more of a negative than a positive. Military flying is very different, and requires specific aptitudes that civilian flying does not require. So the fact you have a PPL does not mean you will be successful as a military pilot. By all means take every opportunity to go flying and see if you enjoy it though.

ReputationRep:
    Also, if you do go to university, certainly look into the UAS. It may also help to be part of the air cadets now, if they take college students, and you aren't already. However the UAS will help massively with understanding and applying for an air force career.

ReputationRep:
    Aswell as all the Medicals, you require two A levels at at C or above (critical thinking and general studies do not apply) this aswell as 5 GCSE'S at C or above.
    You can apply for 17.5 years old up to 26, however to become a pilot you must do you first tour before your 26th birthday. Training is long to become a pilot and my application at 22 was accepted but because I would be so close to my 26th birthday they wanted me to accept an air officers post.
    Get involved and do flying lessons if you can, even if you do not pursue this area a pilots license is expensive and great to have, so if your getting it for free!
    Book a careers appointment at your local RAF office, but don't forget they use pilots in the army core aswell!
    Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dannyhemms)
    Aswell as all the Medicals, you require two A levels at at C or above (critical thinking and general studies do not apply) this aswell as 5 GCSE'S at C or above.
    You can apply for 17.5 years old up to 26, however to become a pilot you must do you first tour before your 26th birthday. Training is long to become a pilot and my application at 22 was accepted but because I would be so close to my 26th birthday they wanted me to accept an air officers post.
    Get involved and do flying lessons if you can, even if you do not pursue this area a pilots license is expensive and great to have, so if your getting it for free!
    Book a careers appointment at your local RAF office, but don't forget they use pilots in the army core aswell!
    Good luck!
    No. You must be in training before your 26th birthday. That means you could be 26 on day 1 of IOT and still be 'within limits'.

The age range is only limited for aircrew and most other branches are open for applicants well into their 30s.

ReputationRep:
    Does your Uncle want to give me some free flying lessons too? (Damn PPL is so expensive )
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Your uncle can't give anyone flying lessons unless he's a rated Flying Instructor (Aeroplanes). Someone who's a qualified light aircraft pilot (as in the holder of an NPPL/PPL(A)) doesn't necessarily know the first thing about teaching someone to fly, and encouraging someone without an instructional qualification to teach is dangerous.

Besides, if he's not a rated FI(A), you can't log the hours flying with him; you still need to have what, 40 hours of instruction logged before you can sit a PPL skills test, I think? And each of those hours has to be flown alongside a rated, current, CAA-approved instructor.

Plus, it's a bad idea. I've said it before several times over the last 10 years or so, but mixing civilian light aircraft flying with military flying is a bad idea. You'll need to "unlearn" various civilian techniques and re-learn the military way. If you have 500+ hours of light aircraft flying then you'll see a benefit as it's all become so natural, and the airmanship and familiarity will help. If you have 50 hours, it'll be a disavantage.

Further on that that, a guy I know very well was killed when ZE982 crashed in Scotland a few years ago. He was a regular light aircraft pilot, and the accident report makes a reference to him accidentally using light aircraft flying techniques just before crashing, which may have contributed to the accident.

It also doesn't help in the slightest with selection; it'd be unfair to penalise people who can't afford a £5000 PPL before joining, so no-one takes it into account.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't end up being a RAF pilot what do you want to do in life? Keep your options open; in fact I'd respectfully go what against TPD says and tell you to DO your creative video editing course. If its one of your passions then do it.

ETA: Go to the careers office ASAP, maybe consider joining the ATC.

ReputationRep:
    Someone's seen Top Gun...
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Kilroy8)
    Someone's seen Top Gun...
    Quite a lot of people have. We even have enough people here with fast jet experience to critique the air combat scenes if you like. What's your point?

ReputationRep:
    Calm down it was just a joke. Its not like every other person who wants to join the Air Force wants to be a fighter pilot anyway.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.