Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Thread Starter

    (Please could I only have helpful/kind replies )


    I could really do with some support/advice.

    I'm unwell, on a waiting list for in-patient hospital treatment in London and currently on a leave of absence from my uni course.

    My illness completely messed up my university career because I missed a lot of assessments due to flair ups. Now I have to return to an ordinary degree because I've missed several exam periods.

    Here is my academic history:

    Year 1: First year - passed with A and B grades
    Year 2: Second year - passed coursework with A grades, missed exams
    Year 3: Second year again- A grades at first sitting for the exams I missed and sat new coursework in different outside subjects.
    Year 4: Third year- A grades for coursework and neuroanatomy test, missed exams
    Year 5: Third year- Too ill to work but directed against taking a leave of absence.

    The only reason for my problems is that my condition lead to me being unable to sit exams (I get 'stuck' due to intrusive thoughts that something awful might happen to my family if I do routine actions such as writing in particular environments, dressing in particular clothes etc and have to counteract these with noisy and lengthy compulsions and/or leave the environment).

    I wanted to take a leave of absence in both my attempts at third year but my parents were in extreme financial hardship (there were baliffs at our front door) and instructed me not to take leave as we'd have to pay back the loans and I'd be unable to pay my rent.

    My disability prevented me from progressing and now I'm stuck.
    Is there any point in me requesting to take another year of leave so that I can go back after my hospital stay? Is there any point in taking an ordinary degree? Has anyone launched an academic appeal for this kind of situation?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Is this something you've discussed with your tutor and the disability team?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Write a reply...
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.