Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Well, I have 3GB of RAM already, I have a 320gb and a 80gb harddrive already, I also have a microATX case but I'm not sure if it'd be better to upgrade it (it only has a stock 220W PSU).

The games I want to play:
    CSS, CS1.6, Dota 1,2, Heroes of newerth
    I have a rubbish monitor also which only supports 1024x768, so I don't want to be able to play them at a higher resolution. Medium settings are also fine.

nothing else really interests me and it'll be used for browsing the rest of the time.

I'm completely up for building it.

Ideally, I'd like to spend as little as possible to get these games running at 1024x768 resolution.

If anyone could help me pick out the parts as I'm completely hopeless at doing so

ReputationRep:
    Well cs1.6 will play on anything and css aint too demanding.

Dont know the other games but it seems to me they aren't the most demanding of games from a quick google image search, and given your not really arsed about maxing out settings, youd rather just play the game - it would seem to me you only really need to get yourself a modest graphics card.

Id say spend about 40 - 60 quid on the best value nvidea/ati card you can get and you'll PROBABBLY be fine with this. Before you buy a card just google the model and look for reviews on its prerformance.

If you motherboard is reasonably new it should have a pci express slot which is what all the Gcards are, but check just encase.

If case is particularly small then check dimensions aswell before buying.

Dont think you need more Ram than that for what you want.

Don't know if you need a processor aswell? But if so check what your mother board can accept, set budget then check reviews and go for best value.

220w is a bit on the low side for a power supply, but if its not a monstor PC then it may do the job fine, id just plow ahead and if you find the computer is shutting down randomly then you probabbly need a more powerful one.

I don't know exact models at this moment in time as new stuff comes out constantly, but when I am building/upgrading a computer - my general process is --

Set budget -> see what parts i can buy with budget -> look up reviews of said parts -> buy what appears to be best value -> put it together and forget about it all for another 3 or 4 years :-)

ReputationRep:
    Dota 2, HoN and CS:GO isn't too demanding but would require a modern PC. The specs that you told us is irrelevant, gaming depends mostly on GPU by a massive margin then the CPU. At that resolution, you don't need anything too powerful for the games you've listed. I doubt your PSU can support anything decent, so you'd need to spend about £35 for a decent 400W PSU if you're planning to upgrade this rig. If your board has a PCI-E slot then great you can add a good graphics card like a HD6670 for £45 which would play any game maxed out on 1024x768 but tell us what CPU you have first. Theres no point getting such a good card with say a Pentium 4 CPU. Download CPU-Z and GPU-Z or alternatively run DXDIAG to tell us what your current specs are.

You'll be looking at spending atleast £150 whilst keeping the case, HDD and DVD drive for a low end rig. I've rounded up an AMD A4 5300 APU + 4GB RAM + 450W PSU + A55 FM2 Motherboard for £150 on scan. The built in GPU in the APU is adequate for the games that you want to play at 1024x768, but you might want to spend an extra £20 for the A6 5400K for the better CPU and GPU. AMD APU's are the best for your money if you're looking at mid-low end gaming rigs.

ReputationRep:
    Just a tip - you get what you pay for '^'

ReputationRep:
    I have Celeron 1.6 GHz CPU ... my MSI motherboard can support 4 GB PCI graphic slot and it has 128 Mb built in shared from RAm... it can support 4GB ram in 1 slot (it has 2 slot) and at latest it can support intel dual core CPU.... currently i have no graphics slot , i have 512 mb ram and u know my CPU(see above) .. i can play cs 1.6 and dota(WoW/TFT) just fine but playing CSS laggs my pc and sometimes it crashed... should i max out my CPU and Graphics or do i need to change my whole pc :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I was looking into this about a year ago. Cheapest you could expect to get a home-built PC that can cope nicely with most modern games was £600-700. Most of if goes on the graphics card and the processor.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidbaroi)
    I have Celeron 1.6 GHz CPU ... my MSI motherboard can support 4 GB PCI graphic slot and it has 128 Mb built in shared from RAm... it can support 4GB ram in 1 slot (it has 2 slot) and at latest it can support intel dual core CPU.... currently i have no graphics slot , i have 512 mb ram and u know my CPU(see above) .. i can play cs 1.6 and dota(WoW/TFT) just fine but playing CSS laggs my pc and sometimes it crashed... should i max out my CPU and Graphics or do i need to change my whole pc :eek:
    Create a new thread if you have a new question.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.