Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Thailand, Cambodia, loas and Vietnam? watch

ReputationRep:
    My best friend and I are planning on travelling this summer for 6 weeks. We're planning on going from the first of July til the 10th August (I might stay out longer).

She wants to go to Thailand, Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam but I feel like we won't be able to do it as we'll end up cramping and not seeing enough of each country/missing out loads. I can imagine spending the summer on a hot sweaty bus/train/boat and not seeing anything of these places.

Have you done a similar trip? How long should we spend in each country/what's the minimum we can spend in each country without missing too much.

What country is the safest to travel alone in (As i'm probably gonna end up traveling alone). I also want to learn to scuba dive/surf.

ReputationRep:
    The walk from thailand to Vietnam through Cambodia takes 108 days. You won't have enough time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FloydRix)
    The walk from thailand to Vietnam through Cambodia takes 108 days. You won't have enough time.
    Why would I walk it? Hahaa

I said that I didn't want to spend my time away on a bus/train/boat instead of actually seeing places

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annuhlees)
    Why would I walk it? Hahaa

I said that I didn't want to spend my time away on a bus/train/boat instead of actually seeing places
    Because you won't get anywhere without spending time on a bus/train. Have you looked at a map of the size of England? Compare that to Vietnam/Thailand. Your idea seems very far-fetched and disillusion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FloydRix)
    Because you won't get anywhere without spending time on a bus/train. Have you looked at a map of the size of England? Compare that to Vietnam/Thailand. Your idea seems very far-fetched and disillusion.
    I know that hence 'I don't want to be spending ALL my time on a bus/train/boat. I was wondering how long I should spend in each country.

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I'm off to SE Asia for 2 and a half months, tomorrow! I've got a total of 7 and a half weeks in Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam. My last minute reading and freak out has made me think I want to spend 4 weeks in Thailand and the other 3 and a half in Cambodia and Southern Vietnam! I want to chill on my travels, i've realised I don't want to be constantly checking the time for the next bus I need to catch! Laos doesn't particularly appeal to me and the indochina loop seems a lot of hassle, especially when I don't particularly want to visit a country! I did want to visit Hanoi and Halong Bay, but i'm 18 .. I've got a lot of time left to fulfil dreams! I want to do things rather than visit 'x' many countries; and I think spending longer, quality time will allow me to do that

Edit: For how long you should spend in each country, research and rank which countries interest you the most; spend the longest in those! If you are set on doing the Indochina loop i'd allocate two weeks to Thailand and Vietnam and a week to Laos and Cambodia.. that's the stereotypical lengths from my hours spent googling

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 14, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.