Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm a 17 year old girl (nearly 18), 5'4" and I’m on Day 3 of my serious health commitment. I don't care about being anonymous anymore, I just want help.

I HAVE to lose weight.
    Even my boyfriend said: “You look fine, but you do need to lose some weight”. and has been getting worried about me.

That gave me the push I needed. I took a good, long look at my life and my size. I knew I was fat, but I had no idea.

I weight 208lb, making me obese which almost makes me cry to say. That’s basically 50lb heavier than my boyfriend. And I took some pictures of myself in my underwear to motivate me and was horrified (I suppose that was my intention)

Currently:

208lbs

Dress Size 14-16.
    I want to be

140lbs
    Size 12

I NEED to get to this goal of losing 68lbs by September 26th. (Before Uni starts)

It's 3lb a week, and I know it's going to be hard, especially to sustain all this healthy eating.

I've already reduced my calories to around 1600 with no junk food and so far I've been on two 30 minute runs (Well, kind of doing the couch 2 5K thing) and done lots of sit ups, done about 20 minutes worth of dancing. I've been drinking a lot of water and green tea.

I started trying to run about 2 weeks ago actually. I find it difficult to take an iPod when running, so often find it boring (even if it's really difficult!) unless my boyfriend comes along with me, and he's the only thing that can keep me motivated on runs.
    I've also tried to take the dog, but it has to be off lead or he won't run very fast, but if he is off lead he gets distracted by other dogs. Anything tips to make runs more interesting?

Are there any other tips that can help me lose weight?? Am I doing enough? And is this really manageable?

ReputationRep:
    You're doing the right stuff. The hard part is to keep doing it.

The respect you'll have for yourself will make all the pain worthwhile at the end though. Remember that when you struggle.

Try to work in some high intensity stuff it's the best way to burn calories. I box which is great plus you get to hit people!

ReputationRep:
    Running is boring in general to be honest, instead i try to pick a shorter distance, say 2 miles and just try and cut down on my speed. I would just get distracted if i had to run 5k or more unless its for a race. Which leads on to my next point, try and take place in some races it doesn't really matter if you come last or whatever but its a good indicator and can keep you motivated. Could try out some light weight training but i wouldn't recommend doing situps as it wont make you lose any weight unless you're doing like 50 sets of 20 or something crazy.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    May I recommend to taking an activity class? Last year when I wanted to lose weight I took up martial arts and been doing it for over a year now. You get the exercise you nee plus you have others there to keep you motivated. :yep:

I personally would say that losing 3 pounds a week will be hard to do in the long run and if you don't do it one week can actually make you lose motivation. So don't be too discouraged, you're doing the right thing so far

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beccagood95)
    Are there any other tips that can help me lose weight?? Am I doing enough? And is this really manageable?
    No. Frankly, you won't lose a consistent 3lbs a week for such a long time period whilst staying healthy.

Listen, you are overweight and do need to shed some but there isn't a rush. You just can't force it. You sound desperate and putting the pressure on yourself will just lead to stress and you will just burn out quickly.

Losing weight is a long term process. You need to go slow and steady and not freak out about it and set yourself unrealistic deadlines. Face the fact that you might not get to ten stone before your uni starts, maybe not even before the new year but you know what? You can get a lot slimmer by then.

Don't be harsh on yourself. Get into a good eating regime, plan 3 solid meals a day with appropriate portions. Don't make yourself crazy counting everything to the nth degree and don't completely restrict any food type. It just isn't realistic, I mean, you are talking about the 8 months to a year... are you really going to go that long without having any junk food? You certainly don't need to.. you just need to cut back the portions and how often you have it.

On top of that, don't go crazy with exercise either. Find ways to be active that are fun and challenging. Stick with running and try and get better at it and then see if you start to enjoy it. If you are doing the couch to 5k, it might just be boring because you can't run much yet. Try and get new headphones or wear joggers with zip pockets or whatever so you can bring your music if that is what you like. Also, find new and interesting routes. If you stick with it for a while and don't enjoy it then simply find another activity that you do like. Better still, find a few different activities. Take up a sport, go dancing, get the train into the countryside and climb a hill, go swimming, etc.

ReputationRep:
    Hi I am basically in the same position as you. I started about six weeks ago and have lost about 1 stone already. I have been having a daily calorie intake of around 1000 calories and I have been doing exercise everyday and my weight loses have been on average 2 pounds a week. I think it will be difficult for your body to lose as much as three pounds every week as that is quite a lot of weight. I would definitely advise that you join a fitness class as I have found them really useful.

ReputationRep:
    Can you sign up to a gym?

Don't be afraid to if you can afford it.

Real Talk Here: Changing your body and gaining the body you want takes time.You may not get it in 5 months No point doing this if you are not going to continue your good work during uni.

ReputationRep:
    Don't listen to people who tell you that you can't do it. Only listen to those who are willing to offer advice based on their own experience and on hard science. There's no reason that you can't make the weight-loss.

However, what I would say (based on my own experience of losing weight from a similar BMI to yours) is that you should focus more on body-fat reduction. This is because otherwise you'll run the risk of losing weight and actually looking fatter and being less healthy.

You have to want to do this so badly that it leaves the realm of want: so badly that anything other than success is unimaginable. If you really do want it, then this is what I'd say based on hard science (the controlled-conditions kind) and my own experience:

• Low carb is very important as apart from limited fruit intake and unlimited veggies, carbohydrate is just plain unhealthy.
    • On the other hand, do not attempt to go low fat at the same time. In fact, adopt a diet that's both high in protein and in animal and nut fat.
    • Avoid soya like the plague. Run from real dairy, too.
    • The best cardio for weightloss is swimming. Categorically. This is because conventional calorie calculations remove the thermo from thermodynamics and ignore the fact that the water is sucking energy from you even when you aren't moving. For this reason and also for the hormonal benefits, I recommend daily cold showers or baths.
    • Pound down the veggies like your life depends on it. Butter is good with some veggies (spend a few pence extra and get the organic butter) and olive oil is obviously great with salads.
    • Lift weights. You won't bulk up unless you're a one in several million genetic freak or on roids, so don't worry about that. You will increase your metabolism, feel great and get 'toned' as you ladies like to call it. Greatly increase calorie intake to a surplus once a week. No more or less frequently.
    • I personally recommend taking vitamin D, vitamin B-complex and cod liver oil, and I won't bore you with the details as to why this is unless you want to know really badly.
    • Eat two or three brazil nuts a day if possible for fat and selenium content (very common deficiency). Also eat eggs for breakfast every day (whole eggs). It's generally good to have only five or six different meals that are chosen carefully for nutrition, as otherwise things can become confusing and I personally found freedom in limited choice.

Good luck, and we all believe in you and want to support you! You should post your progress in a thread so we can see it and encourage you, and also to motivate you just that little bit more!

ReputationRep:
    Best of luck with this. It sounds as though you have a good idea of what you need to do, but it's important that you don't get carried away with goals that may be unrealistic. You might lose 3lbs a week at the beginning, but eventually it will slow down to 2, and then 1, so you might not be able to lose that much before you start uni. But it's still a good idea to crack on and have a good go!

(Original post by Swizzel)
    Hi I am basically in the same position as you. I started about six weeks ago and have lost about 1 stone already. I have been having a daily calorie intake of around 1000 calories and I have been doing exercise everyday and my weight loses have been on average 2 pounds a week. I think it will be difficult for your body to lose as much as three pounds every week as that is quite a lot of weight. I would definitely advise that you join a fitness class as I have found them really useful.
    1,000 calories a day is very low, especially if you're exercising. I'd advise that you increased it or you risk not being able to get sufficient nutrients into your diet, or not being able to maintain a stable weight when you're done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
    1,000 calories a day is very low, especially if you're exercising. I'd advise that you increased it or you risk not being able to get sufficient nutrients into your diet, or not being able to maintain a stable weight when you're done.

My calorie intake does seem low but i am following a specially designed diet and i have check ups to ensure everything is fine! Thanks for the advice though!

ReputationRep:
    Dont worry about the deadline too much, 2lbs is a good weight loss per week and you may not loose the 70lbs by september but you will be a lot thinner and you will continue to loose weight through early uni and you should reach your goal easily before Christmas as if you loose weight too quickly you can bounce back onto your old habits and put the weight back on, being fit as a person who used to be fat is more of a lifestyle you may have to continue jogging and eating right even after you loose to weight so you cant just loose the weight and start eating bad again.

Anyway your whole 1600 calories and 30mins jogging etc... seems like a good plan.

ReputationRep:
    Fresh fruit or vegetable juice for breakfast
    Large avocado salad for lunch, with tuna if you have a big appetite
    Vegetable soup (home made) or stir fry and salmon for tea

Xx

ReputationRep:
    Good luck! You can do it. My advice would be to reduce portion sizes but still making sure you have a varied and healthy diet. You really have to think about what you're eating as fuel and nutrition for your body, so it is a lifestyle change rather than a diet. Obviously, so long as you have a calorie deficit, you will lose weight, but this is easier said than done. So here are my tips:

I really recommend taking cod liver oil, as Azuresky said above, because it has important vitamins, that if you don't get from your diet, could cause you to want to continue eating till you get enough. So basically, helps to reduce appetite, as well as good for you.

Limit bread and pasta intake, potatoes are a better source of carbs, but not too many! Fish, chicken, vegetables, eggs are all good. Drink more water. Don't drink fruit juice or sugary drinks.

Exercise is important too, classes at the gym (spin, body pump) are great if you lose motivation quickly. But you can't outrun a bad diet.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't worry about achieving your overall goal by September....even if you lose 30lbs by then that is very good going and a big step in the right direction. As long as you're progressing you should be happy and you will get there. I think maybe 40lbs loss by uni is a good loss and then over the 6 months after another 20lbs and then you should be happy with what you've achieved and decide where you want to go from there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by McHumpy92)
    I wouldn't worry about achieving your overall goal by September....even if you lose 30lbs by then that is very good going and a big step in the right direction. As long as you're progressing you should be happy and you will get there. I think maybe 40lbs loss by uni is a good loss and then over the 6 months after another 20lbs and then you should be happy with what you've achieved and decide where you want to go from there.
    Lmao, I think this is the only informative and helpful comment I've ever seen you post

ReputationRep:
    Everybody starts from somewhere ... Just be happy that this is something you can change if you put the time and effort in, it will be hard at first but it will soon become easy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by areebmazhar)
    Lmao, I think this is the only informative and helpful comment I've ever seen you post
    There is no point giving helpful comments....people just read all suggestions and pick the easiest one that most likely won't work.

If someone sounds like they genuinely want to change the way they look I will help. Not enough advice on this forum with actual real life solutions for most, just a bunch of people trying to give the most scientific answer to try and sound smart while posting loads of links. Always best to make small steps as you go along because drastic changes cause people to give up. On here you will get told to a training routine they will never attempt, a diet they won't stick to and all the other crap that only a truly dedicated person would do. A lot forget that most peoples goals is to just look 'normal' rather than be the best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by McHumpy92)
    There is no point giving helpful comments....people just read all suggestions and pick the easiest one that most likely won't work.

If someone sounds like they genuinely want to change the way they look I will help. Not enough advice on this forum with actual real life solutions for most, just a bunch of people trying to give the most scientific answer to try and sound smart while posting loads of links. Always best to make small steps as you go along because drastic changes cause people to give up. On here you will get told to a training routine they will never attempt, a diet they won't stick to and all the other crap that only a truly dedicated person would do. A lot forget that most peoples goals is to just look 'normal' rather than be the best.
    Fair enough, a very good point.

ReputationRep:
    It's great that you're making the change, best of luck

ReputationRep:
    You can do it sweetie. I'm 5'5" and weighed 196lbs in March last year. I felt awful and looked it too. I lost 42lbs and nearly got to my goal weight. I gained some weight back and am in the process of losing it again. You CAN do it, just don't give up. I will give more info later x

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.