This discussion is closed.
waiting2smile
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(in despair) ...'thoughtless and fervid a faith as inspired the priests of Baal' Does anyone know what this term means? (Part of research for English, terribly fun work). The only information i have for this word is that it's a religious term - associated with the Jewish religion? :confused: Rep for the person who comes up with the definition.

p.s: don't hesitate to remind me that this thread belongs in the academic section - I know
LH
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It is a religious term, seems to be the name of a Middle Eastern God. Ba'al shem is a Jewish title.
Agrippina
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by waiting2smile)
(in despair) ...'thoughtless and fervid a faith as inspired the priests of Baal' Does anyone know what this term means? (Part of research for English, terribly fun work). The only information i have for this word is that it's a religious term - associated with the Jewish religion? :confused: Rep for the person who comes up with the definition.

p.s: don't hesitate to remind me that this thread belongs in the academic section - I know
Baal:
n. pl. Ba·als or Ba·al·im (--lm)
1. Any of various local fertility and nature gods of the ancient Semitic peoples considered to be false gods by the Hebrews.
2. A false god or idol.

I recognised the word as it's mentioned a lot in Mendelssohn's "Elijah", which I'm singing at the mo in one of my choirs. It talks a lot about "the prophets of Baal" so I'm guessing he's a God! As the def. says!
waiting2smile
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
It is a religious term, seems to be the name of a Middle Eastern God. Ba'al shem is a Jewish title.
If it's incorrect i'll blame you. You get a rep, and i'm going to go and have some icecream and then write an essay
waiting2smile
Rep:
?
If it's incorrect i'll blame you. You get a rep, and i'm going to go and have some icecream and then write an essay
I take back what i said...Eeyore gets the rep
Howard
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It comes from the story of Elijah and the Priests of Baal; 1 Kings 18;

Can I have some rep then?
Agrippina
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yay, thanks!
waiting2smile
Rep:
?
(Original post by Howard)
It comes from the story of Elijah and the Priests of Baal; 1 Kings 18;

Can I have some rep then?
Eeyore got the rep, since she gave a wonderful definition, for the rest of you...thank you for your help- if that's any consolation
LH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Nooooooo!
Is said pretty much the same stuff, if anything more in depth - did you know the title baal shem is given to Jewish men with supernatural powers? And in the middle east Baal is a fertility god?

And I said it before Eyore and I need the rep!
Bhaal85
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
And there's me thinking it being a thread about me.
LH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Bhaal85)
I thought it was originally.
Agrippina
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Bhaal85)
Lol, what does your screen name refer to by the way? I've often wondered!
Powerline
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

I have no idea of what you are talking about.

Hope this helps

P.s-this thread belongs in te academic section
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Had lockdown impacted your relationships?

Yes, my partner and I are struggling (0)
0%
Yes, my partner and I broke up (3)
11.11%
Yes, it's hard being around my family so much (6)
22.22%
Yes, I'm feeling lonely isolating alone (2)
7.41%
No, nothing has changed (8)
29.63%
No, it's helped improve my relationships (8)
29.63%

Watched Threads