Turn on thread page Beta

'Baal' watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (in despair) ...'thoughtless and fervid a faith as inspired the priests of Baal' Does anyone know what this term means? (Part of research for English, terribly fun work). The only information i have for this word is that it's a religious term - associated with the Jewish religion? :confused: Rep for the person who comes up with the definition.

p.s: don't hesitate to remind me that this thread belongs in the academic section - I know

ReputationRep:
    It is a religious term, seems to be the name of a Middle Eastern God. Ba'al shem is a Jewish title.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by waiting2smile)
    (in despair) ...'thoughtless and fervid a faith as inspired the priests of Baal' Does anyone know what this term means? (Part of research for English, terribly fun work). The only information i have for this word is that it's a religious term - associated with the Jewish religion? :confused: Rep for the person who comes up with the definition.

p.s: don't hesitate to remind me that this thread belongs in the academic section - I know
    Baal:
    n. pl. Ba·als or Ba·al·im (--lm)
    1. Any of various local fertility and nature gods of the ancient Semitic peoples considered to be false gods by the Hebrews.
    2. A false god or idol.

I recognised the word as it's mentioned a lot in Mendelssohn's "Elijah", which I'm singing at the mo in one of my choirs. It talks a lot about "the prophets of Baal" so I'm guessing he's a God! As the def. says!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    It is a religious term, seems to be the name of a Middle Eastern God. Ba'al shem is a Jewish title.
    If it's incorrect i'll blame you. You get a rep, and i'm going to go and have some icecream and then write an essay

ReputationRep:
    If it's incorrect i'll blame you. You get a rep, and i'm going to go and have some icecream and then write an essay
    I take back what i said...Eeyore gets the rep

ReputationRep:
    It comes from the story of Elijah and the Priests of Baal; 1 Kings 18;

Can I have some rep then?

ReputationRep:
    Yay, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    It comes from the story of Elijah and the Priests of Baal; 1 Kings 18;

Can I have some rep then?
    Eeyore got the rep, since she gave a wonderful definition, for the rest of you...thank you for your help- if that's any consolation

ReputationRep:
    Nooooooo!
    Is said pretty much the same stuff, if anything more in depth - did you know the title baal shem is given to Jewish men with supernatural powers? And in the middle east Baal is a fertility god?

And I said it before Eyore and I need the rep!

ReputationRep:
    And there's me thinking it being a thread about me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    I thought it was originally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    Lol, what does your screen name refer to by the way? I've often wondered!

ReputationRep:

I have no idea of what you are talking about.

Hope this helps

P.s-this thread belongs in te academic section

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 17, 2004
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.