The Student Room Group

Chance of getting into Oxbridge with poor IGCSEs?

I was just wondering if some of you could help me out with this question. I started at a international school following the British curriculum this year, pretty much without knowing most of the syllabus not to mention I was to take exams for a two year course at the end of the year..I'm predicted 5A's(History,Business, English, English lit, Physics) 2 B's(Spanish, ICT) and 2 C's(Biology, Maths). I'm thinking of choosing Econ, English, History and Maths next year, although I hate the latter. My interest for economics is huge, and I would be prepared to overcome my laziness in Maths for a good uni..So the question is; Would top universities like Oxford even consider my application with these IGCSEs if my A and AS level grades meet the requirement?
Original post by krunch
I was just wondering if some of you could help me out with this question. I started at a international school following the British curriculum this year, pretty much without knowing most of the syllabus not to mention I was to take exams for a two year course at the end of the year..I'm predicted 5A's(History,Business, English, English lit, Physics) 2 B's(Spanish, ICT) and 2 C's(Biology, Maths). I'm thinking of choosing Econ, English, History and Maths next year, although I hate the latter. My interest for economics is huge, and I would be prepared to overcome my laziness in Maths for a good uni..So the question is; Would top universities like Oxford even consider my application with these IGCSEs if my A and AS level grades meet the requirement?

No idea, but if you hate Maths and are lazy when it comes to studying it (your words, not mine) then you might as well forget studying Economics at a highly prestigious university. Mathematical ability is essential to the subject, which is why a high Maths grade is a standard requirement at top universities.
Reply 2
If you hate maths then economics at uni isnt for you. Tbh you need further maths if you want to stand a chance at somewhere like cambridge.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending