Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

You Can Go Back In Time And Change/Influence Up To THREE Events - What Will They Be? Watch

ReputationRep:
    You can go back in time, at any point in world history and change three events and three events alone - which will they be?
    (You can only remain in one time period [i.e. the time of one event] for a maximum of 24 HOURS.)

This can involve killing/speaking to someone or anything like that. But it must be three events and three events alone.

What are you going to do? What will you change?

(It could even be your history - but that wouldn't be as fun, would it?)

Spoiler:
    Show

Beware, however - it could be said that some events, however horrible they may have been, have actually shaped us as a Race. Some horrible events might have even aided our progress.

Also, just pass over the temporal paradox and temporal issues that come with time travel. This is more a theoretical/philosophical exercise.

ReputationRep:
    None other than things that may have happened to myself in the recent past. Changing history would most likely result in my existence being terminated.

I'm assuming that we are taking already acquired knowledge with us on our adventures to make the world a brighter place? I definitely would have liked to have won the lottery last week, and I do now know the numbers of said draw..

So that I'm not being boring, and assume that whatever I change my existence is guaranteed, one of the things I would have done was to promote the conservation of the Smilodon. Those things would have been badass :cool:

I'd only change my own history.

1) Make myself say yes to that boy who asked me out in year 7.
    2) Make myself speak to another boy in year 8 who apparently fancied me.
    3) Make myself speak to my crush at the start of year 12.

If I had done these three things, my life might not be such the fail it is now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mockery)
    Changing history would most likely result in my existence being terminated
    This represents a dilemma both from the selfish perspective (I'm sure most of us would rather exist than never have done) as well as the logical argument that dictates that if you cease to exist you'd never end up being able to go back in time and change things anyway

The temptation would be to do something like go kill Hitler in his cot or something but many of us would not then come to exist e.g. Weimar Germany may well have swung the other way and the Soviet Union might well have been tempted to impinge upon a ‘free world’ that had not been unified in the same way as they were (NATO etc) thanks to WWII. Our parents may have been wiped out either as a product of callous Soviet hegemony or nuclear holocaust. In my case my grandma had been ‘walking out with’ an airman who went MIA in the war before she met my grandpa and my grandpa would have had a very different life were it not for the forces

I’d probably go back to intervene in a humanitarian way if I could e.g. convince Stalin and Mao not to sentence tens of millions of their own people to death. If one’s only able to go back and change a decision that has a 24 hour shelf life then I'd probably opt for stuff like uncovering the dodgy dossier of 2003 (without ending up like poor David Kelly), and compelling Kim Jung Ill/Un and Assad to begin the transition to democracy when they ascended to power

One of the things I would have done was to promote the conservation of the Smilodon. Those things would have been badass :cool:
    Sure, because cave men spoke English and were big into conservationism back in the day

(Original post by Maid Marian)
    1) Make myself say yes to that boy who asked me out in year 7
    Put fate of humanity on hold folks.. I've got important work to do relating to a teenage crush! :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    Sure, because cave men spoke English and were big into conservationism back in the day
    Even better, I'd promote the conservation of Homo sapien neanderthalis by teaching them how to be more sociable and form stronger social groups (which is what is now wildly percieved as being accountable for their demise) and then I can become the Jesus of the neanderthals creating an army of bowmen on Smilodon-back :lol:

I'd expel any immigrants of Homo sapien sapien into Europe back to Africa and the continent would remain mine!

ReputationRep:
    Even better, I'd promote the conservation of Homo sapien neanderthalis by teaching them how to be more sociable and form stronger social groups (which is what is now wildly percieved as being accountable for their demise) and then I can become the Jesus of the neanderthals creating an army of bowmen on Smilodon-back :lol:

I'd expel any immigrants of Homo sapien sapien into Europe back to Africa and the continent would remain mine!
    Homo Sapiens Sapiens is superior, you traitor! Off with your head! :haughty:

ReputationRep:
    I can become the Jesus of the neanderthals creating an army of bowmen on Smilodon-back :lol:
    Heh, good luck with that

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 14, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.