Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,

I'm in my first year at college and want to become an accountant. I do A levels in Maths, Chemistry, Biology and History. I was just wondering if people could help me out on the best route to take to work for one of the big 4 firms (Deloitte, Pricewaterhousecoopers, KPMG and Ernst & Young), any help is appreciated!!!

ReputationRep:
    Either go to a good university and get a 2.1 or above (pick a subject you enjoy) and apply through the 3 year graduate route, or get some good A level results and apply through the school leavers scheme for the 5 year training programme.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTew29)
    Hi Guys,

I'm in my first year at college and want to become an accountant. I do A levels in Maths, Chemistry, Biology and History. I was just wondering if people could help me out on the best route to take to work for one of the big 4 firms (Deloitte, Pricewaterhousecoopers, KPMG and Ernst & Young), any help is appreciated!!!

As someone who worked for a Big Eight accounting firm when I was young
    (30 years ago, it was the Big Eight), let me warn you that working for a Big 4 firm should not be a goal in and of itself. I say this because people were fired left and right while I worked there, and on April 16th, the day after tax filing deadline in America, they got rid of about 1/2 their staff. I had only been there a few months. The guys who were fired had been there exactly a year longer than me (they were the people hired from the previous year's class). I was not fired, but quickly realized that a year later, I would probably be treated in a similar manner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by floridadad55)
    As someone who worked for a Big Eight accounting firm when I was young
    (30 years ago, it was the Big Eight), let me warn you that working for a Big 4 firm should not be a goal in and of itself. I say this because people were fired left and right while I worked there, and on April 16th, the day after tax filing deadline in America, they got rid of about 1/2 their staff. I had only been there a few months. The guys who were fired had been there exactly a year longer than me (they were the people hired from the previous year's class). I was not fired, but quickly realized that a year later, I would probably be treated in a similar manner.
    Can't speak for the past, but people are not currently fired 'left and right' at the big four. It's as stable a place to work as any. Wouldn't advise the OP to base his career choices on things like that, else you could probably find a reason not to choose anywhere.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 14, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.