Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,

I'm in my first year at college and want to become an accountant. I do A levels in Maths, Chemistry, Biology and History. I was just wondering if people could help me out on the best route to take to work for one of the big 4 firms (Deloitte, Pricewaterhousecoopers, KPMG and Ernst & Young), any help is appreciated!!!

ReputationRep:
    You would normally need a UCAS tariff of at least 300 and a 2:1 or above in any degree at a decent university.

If you are certain about your future career as an accountant you might be interested in an employer-sponsored degree such as PwC Flying Start.

ReputationRep:
    Check out the school leavers schemes. You may have missed them if you're already doing your second year of A-levels though.

ReputationRep:
    If you wanna work for a Big 4 firm doing a general scheme (tax / audit / advisory), you'll need a 2:1 minimum and usually 320 UCAS points (ABB). Some schemes require 340 (AAB).
    If you want to join the School Leaver's program I think you need 300 UCAS points. PwC actually look for 240-280, depending on the scheme.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    (Original post by SamTew29)
    Hi Guys,

I'm in my first year at college and want to become an accountant. I do A levels in Maths, Chemistry, Biology and History. I was just wondering if people could help me out on the best route to take to work for one of the big 4 firms (Deloitte, Pricewaterhousecoopers, KPMG and Ernst & Young), any help is appreciated!!!
    Hi there

There are several routes you could take. You don't say if you want to go to university or not, so you need to consider the following:

• university route: upwards of 280-300 UCAS points, first or a 2.1 degree
    • school leaver routes: apply direct from A levels, higher apprenticeship route or a partnership programme such as flying start where you attend university and get the chance to work at the organisation too.

I would start looking at the recruitment sites of the Big Four - there are opportunities for you to attend insight days at each of them, and they run these at different times of the year. It helps find out more about them, and also they get to know your name and your interest in working for them!

Louise

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 16, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.