Why would ANYBODY bother doing a psychology degree? Watch

This discussion is closed.
FuLLuPMepOrtION
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
obviously, it's probably very difficult and i respect that, but why would anyone want to spend £27,000 for a direct entry into the largest graduate unemployment market?
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Not all psychology graduates want to become psychologists. Many graduate schemes don't specify a particular degree subject, only the grade. Psychology degrees can give you lots of transferable skills: it's one of the few that does both essay writing and statistics. You do need to do a psychology degree (or conversion course) if you want to be a practising psychologist. Also of course, some people do it cos they find it interesting
placenta medicae talpae
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
So they can answer questions like this without even having to ask
ryanb97
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by FuLLuPMepOrtION)
obviously, it's probably very difficult and i respect that, but why would anyone want to spend £27,000 for a direct entry into the largest graduate unemployment market?
to join MI5 and be secret agents!!

ryan
Victoriapownall
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by FuLLuPMepOrtION)
It is true though physiology is such a safe subject that anyone can really do and it won't get you anywhere in the Job market
Carpediemxx
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by placenta medicae talpae)
So they can answer questions like this without even having to ask
You know psychology isn't mind reading?
Really cringes me out when people say stuff like that =/
thegreenchildren
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Maybe they are passionate about the subject and would love to spend 3 years studying it ? And the fact that they don't have to pay back the loan if they are unemployed sounds appealing? I don't know but the people I know that are studying psychology soon just want to go to university mainly, they probably haven't thought about the unemployment rates yet.
Lazuliblue
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Victoriapownall)
It is true though physiology is such a safe subject that anyone can really do and it won't get you anywhere in the Job market
Physiology is different to psychology....
Venomilys
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Depends from which uni. London met phychology? :no:
HeavyTeddy
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Unless it's Freud, psychology is dull.
Solid.Snake
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Perhaps some people study it because they enjoy the subject?
russellsteapot
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I don't think you can break down the graduate unemployment market by subject with any accuracy. There's a generally big graduate unemployment market across almost all courses, and obviously the most-studied subjects will probably be over-representated against the lesser-studied ones. Most graduates don't go into their own field of study (unless the degree is specifically vocational) so for practical purposes it doesn't really matter if your degree is in psychology or anthropology (randomly chosen lesser-studied non-vocational subject). So you might as well choose a course you like.

The primary reason the biggest unemployment markets are English, psychology, history, sociology and so on is because they're the non-vocational degrees with the most students taking them. It's no direct representation of the actual employability of any individual candidate, but bigger numbers in = bigger numbers out.

Indeed, psychology tends to fare reasonably well when taken as a percentage rather than a number.
Hal.E.Lujah
  • Study Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I know someone who's just finished their degree and gone straight into employment at Wunderman. I also know two people following into criminology with the police. It offers such a wide variety of options that I don't think anyone can blame the degree, it's just the people with the degree and how they want to use it.

Plus, what about the people who just enjoy it from an academic perspective and want to push forward?
cambio wechsel
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Psychology done at a reputable institution implies essay writing skills + experience of (lab based) experiment + facility with stats.

That should be rather a marketable skill-set for those wanting to work in the general graduate market.
WeirdLittleO
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm in my third year of a psychology degree, a part of me regrets choosing it and another part of me is glad I chose it.

Before I went to uni I was undecided between nursing and going into counselling and becoming a clinical psychologist. I was pretty much set up for nursing but I was really enjoying psychology a-level and I got caught up in it. I figured if I applied for a psychology degree it would keep my options open with it having so many branches and academic prospects, whereas nursing meant I could only be a nurse.
So, off I went and three years later here I am. About to finish a psychology degree. Funnily enough, I'm in the process of getting a place onto a nursing course as the desire to be a nurse has prevailed. Without my degree I wouldn't have even been considered for an interview as I got below the standards for a level grades. It's a relevant degree as well, even though I'm not going for mental health branch. Some apply with English degrees and the like.
I've really enjoyed my course though and had a great 3 years despite not choosing nursing in the first place (it was easier to get onto back then than it is now).
Psychology can open many doors so long as It's bps accredited, people who are passionate go on to study a masters+PhD which lands you in a really good job ranging from clinical psychologist to educational psychologist.
Many people take this degree out of interest and/or assume It's an easy route into becoming a psychologist, but it isn't. It requires hard work and dedication to reach that level. Places for PhDs are competitive.
The course also has many transferable skills that can be applied to a lot of jobs, which helped with my nursing application.
Kinda gone off topic but I just wanted to say my own reasons for studying psychology. It isn't as pointless as it seems.

(Please excuse any incoherence, I've had a crappy day)

Posted from TSR Mobile
SophiaKeuning
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You try it then. Why are people so judgmental and arrogant. Leave people be, it doesn't concern you idiots.
SophiaKeuning
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)
I know someone who's just finished their degree and gone straight into employment at Wunderman. I also know two people following into criminology with the police. It offers such a wide variety of options that I don't think anyone can blame the degree, it's just the people with the degree and how they want to use it.

Plus, what about the people who just enjoy it from an academic perspective and want to push forward?
This is true. Especially what you say about it depends on how people use their degree. Some people have initiative and drive, others just leave any degree that can be general such as Psychology, History, English and just wait for a job to come to them through jobcenterplus.gov.uk. Those who love psychology, have an idea of where they want to go in life and get a first at a good uni have nothing to worry about.
Victoriapownall
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Lazuliblue)
Physiology is different to psychology....
Auto correct....
Tackla
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Auto correct....
Auto correct is the root of all problems.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lazuliblue
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Auto correct....
Ah yes....damn autocorrect!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • Nottingham Trent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20

What's stopping you doing a masters?

It's too expensive (47)
23.98%
My career doesn't need one (27)
13.78%
I'm sick of studying (41)
20.92%
I can't find a course I want to do (5)
2.55%
I don't know enough about them (13)
6.63%
Nothing, I'm going to do it! (63)
32.14%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise