Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Hey, so I'm in an awkward situation with a very old friend and I wondered if anyone out there can help!
    So the story goes we've been friends since we were 13, we're in our 20s now and stayed friends despite living in different countries, taking different paths through facebook and holidays etc. In the past couple of years we've grown further apart, I think I've changed a great deal, we fell out over a boy and from that point on I found it harder to keep up the friendship. I say 'fell out', more like i just told her straight that I was hurt she was having dinner with a guy i had a thing with and still had feelings for. she didn't really like being confronted about it and still kept on posting on this guys wall etc. I distanced myself from her but she kept on contacting me, asking how I am. I decided I was over it and we met up and stuff but things aren't great, it feels a bit fake, i feel like I'm being someone I'm not when I'm with her. I don't wish her any badness but I want out. Preferably without any ill feeling or bitcyness... If I ignore her and bump into her, how will that work?
    I don't get why she even wants me as her friend, I feel like she doesn't like me, she started giving me significantly less expensive christmas/birthday gifts, little subtle things tell me we're different now, why is she bothering me at all? Help!

ReputationRep:
    In life things are always changing. Dont hold onto relationships that hurt you, its a sign that you need to let go. Embrace the change, and realise that change happens for a reason. It won’t always be easy or obvious at first, but in the end it will be worth it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hey, so I'm in an awkward situation with a very old friend and I wondered if anyone out there can help!
    So the story goes we've been friends since we were 13, we're in our 20s now and stayed friends despite living in different countries, taking different paths through facebook and holidays etc. In the past couple of years we've grown further apart, I think I've changed a great deal, we fell out over a boy and from that point on I found it harder to keep up the friendship. I say 'fell out', more like i just told her straight that I was hurt she was having dinner with a guy i had a thing with and still had feelings for. she didn't really like being confronted about it and still kept on posting on this guys wall etc. I distanced myself from her but she kept on contacting me, asking how I am. I decided I was over it and we met up and stuff but things aren't great, it feels a bit fake, i feel like I'm being someone I'm not when I'm with her. I don't wish her any badness but I want out. Preferably without any ill feeling or bitcyness... If I ignore her and bump into her, how will that work?
    I don't get why she even wants me as her friend, I feel like she doesn't like me, she started giving me significantly less expensive christmas/birthday gifts, little subtle things tell me we're different now, why is she bothering me at all? Help!
    You tried to stop a friend from having dinner with a guy and posting on his wall because you had feelings for him? O_o

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 15, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.