Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I have posted a few replys on some threads about China but I thought I may make this thread to try and answer any questions anyone has about China.

Myself- I have landed a few days ago in HK and now I am in mainland China and will be for the next 6 months atleast I am teaching English to kids.

It is all very new to me but exciting so as I learn new things I would like to maybe share them with you guys so if you are thinking about coming to China give me a shout and il try my best to reply to you guys

ReputationRep:
    You're not by any chance with a company called eltic?

ReputationRep:
    No, I did look into them and they do seem very good but for one reason or another I am not with them. At the time I did not feel they would accept me/ I was not ready. I am now though and got accepted just fine with my compay.

ReputationRep:
    How long did it take you to learn the language? If you didn't already know it that is

ReputationRep:
    Oh I don't know the language i'm learning little bits at a time as I go along.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, so it's easy to get by without knowing the language? That's interesting, thanks for answering!

ReputationRep:
    Well so far yes, although bear in mind I have only been here a very short time. Basics are easy, buying stuff/ordering food is a simple point, smile and pay most of the time however I expect it to be a very different challenge when I go to get a haircut for example (I'm gonna go ahead with the point at random guys hair to solve that I think). Don't kid yourself and think it will be easy to get by with no help, luckily I have a good team supporting me who speak good english and they deal with all things chinese related that I cannot on my own. It is very rare to find someone who speaks english here generally the younger people speak english as they have been taught from school which actually was demonstrated today when a young guy maybe 15-16 came up to me, said "Hello...Where are you from?" (side note this was in a museum beside a exhibition about the killing of the british and pushing them out of China so it kinda caught me offguard) anyway I reply "I'm from Ireland". He said "Oh good...May I take picture with you?" and so I took a picture with him and I have never seen a bigger smile on anyones face to see a westener. The Chinese are such a friendly people once you can get past the language barrier.

ps. Sorry for long post I will ramble on + today has been a long but amazing day.

ReputationRep:
    No worries about the long post, thanks for all the info!

Oh I forgot you might be with a group, I was thinking it all sounded a bit easy haha. It sounds great though, have you started the English lessons yet?

ReputationRep:
    Nope, tomorrow I go to my school. It's near Shanghai so I have to take a train which will take 20 hours!! I thought the flight was bad. Although considering the distance the price is good its around £26 so can't complain with that.

ReputationRep:
    I was supposed to go, unfortunately due to circumstances I'm not

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I went to Beijing and Xi'an last year and I had a really hard time finding people who spoke English. They lost my bag on the connecting flight and no one even spoke English in the airport! I had to get a Chinese girl who was also in my situation to translate for me. It was really difficult. Maybe because Hong Kong is a business hub you are finding it easier to find people who speak our language?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm currently living in Beijing (arrived in August, leaving in July), studying Chinese at Tsinghua University. I'm about to take the HSK 5 so my Chinese is decent right now and I teach English to migrants' children on week-ends. Having the best time of my life.
    Feel free to ask me anything about China/Chinese/whatever

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bambirina)
    Hey, I'm currently living in Beijing (arrived in August, leaving in July), studying Chinese at Tsinghua University. I'm about to take the HSK 5 so my Chinese is decent right now and I teach English to migrants' children on week-ends. Having the best time of my life.
    Sounds awesome! How are you finding the teaching and China?

I'm also Chinese, but have been living in the UK for the majority of my life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bambirina)
    Hey Bambrinia, Hows it going?
    As someone with some experince of living in China got any advice for me being a new guy in the country?

ReputationRep:
    Im currently living in China for a year in Jiangxi, where abouts are you?

ReputationRep:
    Currently Shenzhen but I get on a train tomorrow (20 damn hours) and head to my school in Yangzhou so I guess my train shall be passing past Jianxi sometime tomorrow or the day after

ReputationRep:
    I had no idea time zones were so far apart. I landed in china a few months ago and it's new year's apparently

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arirang)
    Shenzhen is lovely! I really liked it there~ Are you getting the K-train to Shanghai by any chance? 20 hours seems like a long time.

I was in China for five week last Summer meeting all my bf's family, but we went to Shenzhen then to Henan province, then took a mini holiday to Xi'an, then went to Shanghai and Hangzhou. If you can, go to Hangzhou - it's a really beautiful city. We rented bikes and the three of us (me, him and his cousin) were able to get around very easily and it was honestly the best fun I've had in a long time.

I can't really help with anything from a foreigners point of view, because I was always around locals and always had someone with me, but seeing you're also from N.Ireland there's a fair chance you'll be a magnet for "Omg you're so white!" comments (unless you're tanned lol) and photographs. Also, until you learn Chinese you'll be paying more than locals will for the same thing, but things will still be very cheap.

This guy does a series on YouTube (which you won't be able to watch, so I linked the youku upload) all about living in China. He's a consultant from South Africa, this is just one of his videos but he has many many more on things like etiquette and all that:

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzgxNjU4MTQ4.html
    Have to agree, I've been a subscriber of SerpentZa since around 2009 and his videos are great. Very informative and seem to give a realistic portrayal of life as a foreigner in China.

This question is for the OP but anyone can answer it. What made you decide to move/teach in China? How easy was it to get everything sorted before you left your home country? And how did you find the first few days settling in?

ReputationRep:
    If i'm being honest China was not my specific choice for my getaway but now that I am here I am glad I had enough time to get everything sorted about 1 month or so I could have got things done faster but I dragged my feet a little and I worked alot before I came. The worst thing is the time difference and jet lag its hard to sleep the first few days and to get into a proper pattern because of different timezone, excitement and nerves etc. Apart from that no problems.

Question for any of the guys in China; Anyone of you use FB and have a way to access it? I brought along a program but it is not working and would appreciate some help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anythingoo1)
    Sounds awesome! How are you finding the teaching and China?

I'm also Chinese, but have been living in the UK for the majority of my life
    I find it hard to catch the kids' attention but it's very fun and rewarding, they have so much energy ! I also teach this one kid privately, also a migrants' child, and he really never wants to do anything that I plan. He just loves to draw. I figured that he never really gets to draw, either at school or at home, and if he does, he's always told what to do. So I just let him draw whatever he wants and then teach him the names of the things he draws in English. " There are birds ! How many birds are there ? 1, 2, 3, 4 ... the birds are yellow. " I only see him one hour per week but it's working pretty well.
    China itself is amazing, I love it so much and I don't want to leaaaave. Thank God I have the UK to look forward to !

(Original post by Stevenishungover)
    Hey Bambrinia, Hows it going?
    As someone with some experince of living in China got any advice for me being a new guy in the country?
    Hi there, it's going super well ! Just stay open-minded, try everything, enjoy getting used to things that seem to weird at first, speak as much Chinese as possible ... China has so much to offer, it's totally worth it. It has its flaws - the bathrooms stink, people spit, blablabla - but which country doesn't ? Enjoy the amazing things which make China so special.

Sorry it's all very general, I'd be happy to help if you have more specific questions though

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 5, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.