Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm an international student who plans to apply to medince in the UK about 2 years from now. I am doing my GCSE equivalent exams this May/June and as things currently, my results would most likely be as follows: A's in Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics, English Literature, (I did English Language last year and got an A), and hopeful passes in the ever boring Spanish and History. I really do hate anything non science related but I'm hoping that grades in those two subjects won't harshly affect my future application. I then intend to proceed to do my AS level equivalent exams the following year and I hopefully will be able to get the following: A's in Biology, Chemsitry, Physics and Environmental Science (I am doing both units 1 and 2 of Environmental Science in one year). I then assume my application would heavily depend on my BMAT/UKCAT results, personal statement and work experience. Is that true? If so, what do you think my possible chances would be to get into the following considering UCL, Imperial and Oxbridge are way beyond my imagination: (Applying through UCAS): Birmingham, Leceister, Nottingham and King's College London.

Also what is the difference between A* and A grades? Here we get graded numerically rather than alphabetecially but obviously an A = 1, B = 2 etc. On our grades we have profile grades, AAA or AAB = 1 but would an AAA = A* and AAB = A?

I hope this is in the right thread. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gundam101)
    I'm an international student who plans to apply to medince in the UK about 2 years from now. I am doing my GCSE equivalent exams this May/June and as things currently, my results would most likely be as follows: A's in Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics, English Literature, (I did English Language last year and got an A), and hopeful passes in the ever boring Spanish and History. I really do hate anything non science related but I'm hoping that grades in those two subjects won't harshly affect my future application. I then intend to proceed to do my AS level equivalent exams the following year and I hopefully will be able to get the following: A's in Biology, Chemsitry, Physics and Environmental Science (I am doing both units 1 and 2 of Environmental Science in one year). I then assume my application would heavily depend on my BMAT/UKCAT results, personal statement and work experience. Is that true? If so, what do you think my possible chances would be to get into the following considering UCL, Imperial and Oxbridge are way beyond my imagination: (Applying through UCAS): Birmingham, Leceister, Nottingham and King's College London.

Also what is the difference between A* and A grades? Here we get graded numerically rather than alphabetecially but obviously an A = 1, B = 2 etc. On our grades we have profile grades, AAA or AAB = 1 but would an AAA = A* and AAB = A?

I hope this is in the right thread. Thanks!
    You may find some helpful advice about international qualifications in the Medicine wiki... http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine

Your choice of AS subjects will be OK for most universities - again, see the wiki for the specific requirements of each med school.

Your GCSE & AS grades and your UKCAT score should guide you about where to apply and where not to apply. It's OK to have ambitions about studying at specific universities, but don't end up applying to somewhere which isn't a good match for your strengths.

The A* grade exists for GCSE and A2 but not for AS. It is an extra grade above an A, and it was introduced because too many A grades were being awarded.

Good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.