German or English keyboard? Watch

Jammertal
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Right, I'm thinking about getting a laptop for uni, but I don't know whether to buy one with an English or a German keyboard.

I'd prefer the German one at the moment because I'm used to it, etc. However, will there be any situations (exams in particular) where I need to type on an English keyboard?

Cheers.
jozza
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Get German!!
I am currentlz using a German keyboard. It is so much better, as there is not much you can do on an English keyboard that you can't do on a German keyboard. And if you need to use umlauts and ß etc. then it is so much better to have the keys there than to use stupid codes. The only problem I can see is that speech marks automatically come out German style in word, but I'm sure there's something you could do about that.
Just 5 minutes ago actually I thought of getting a German keyboard for when I go back to England.
jozza
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
plus, if you switch to an english kezboard, you will forever be getting y and z muddled up, as I am now!
Jammertal
Rep:
?
Hmmm...yeah that's what I'm afraid of if I switch to an English board. You can always change the "Tastenbelegung" though.

However, I'm mainly concerned about if there are any official situations (such as exams) where I won't have another choice than to use an English board. Anyone on this?
kookabura
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I very much doubt there will be anything you *need* a laptop for anyway. Mostly you will just use it for typing essays etc up, which you will print off and hand it and it doesn't matter how you typed it how! Most unis say you don't even need a laptop anyway, as there will be plenty of computers there. What course are you doing? Whatever it is though, I wouldn't have thought you would be allowed, let alone need, a laptop for exams.
Jammertal
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cathie86)
I very much doubt there will be anything you *need* a laptop for anyway. Mostly you will just use it for typing essays etc up, which you will print off and hand it and it doesn't matter how you typed it how! Most unis say you don't even need a laptop anyway, as there will be plenty of computers there. What course are you doing? Whatever it is though, I wouldn't have thought you would be allowed, let alone need, a laptop for exams.
It'll be European Studies at King's College London. And I've heard that some unis will provide you with laptops for exams, that was why I was worrying. Anyway, I'll simply ask and see what they say. Have some other things to ask, so one question more or less shouldn't make a difference. Thanks for your replies guys.
kookabura
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I hadn't heard of you needing laptops for exams, but as you say, no harm in asking them!
BexTait
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The only people I know of using laptops/computers in exams are either those with special needs, or certain injuries (eg somebody I know broke her thumb so did her exams on a computer), but they were provided by the uni for the exam only. They were done away from the main exam rooms too (tapping on keyboards would be sooo annoying)
Jammertal
Rep:
?
Speaking of which: are there special exam arrangements for non-native speakers? That is could I use a laptop because it will help to prevent mistakes? I assume no, but anyway. Have you ever heard of this?
PieMaster
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
People who have english as a second language are allowed a simple translation dictionary here
kookabura
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The 'instructions' for exams at Nottingham state that people whose first language isn't English are allowed a language to language dictionary (not subject specific, eg: not a science dictionary etc), provided that the exam isn't to test either of those languages, hope that makes sense.
Jammertal
Rep:
?
Ah ok, seems to be quite common. Hope the same goes for KCL. I think I know on what I'll waste my time in exams then. :rolleyes: Or I'll just polish up my English alternatively.
asar
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I've never seen a German keyboard, but use a Spanish (Latin America) one. I think you should keep the German one; you'll have all the letters, and not the other way around. The situations when you come to need to use an English one will be totally sporadic.
Jammertal
Rep:
?
Seems like there is a clear majority to get a German one. Well, I'll just wait until King's replies and then order a German one.
Jammertal
Rep:
?
Just ordered a MacBook with a German keyboard.
tangsiuje
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
ehm. or you could just change your windows settings?! i choose freely between english, swedish and chinese. although i'm getting annoyed all the time that the ?, :, -, /, etc. move about.

edit: I'm sure macos has a similar feature
edit2: remember to bring an adapter to fit it into the wall. you can get plenty of british-->continental here, but the continental-->british are more rare.
Jammertal
Rep:
?
(Original post by tangsiuje)
ehm. or you could just change your windows settings?! i choose freely between english, swedish and chinese. although i'm getting annoyed all the time that the ?, :, -, /, etc. move about.
Yeah I know, but it's sorted know anyway. And I tried some days ago and it's evil. I can't handle it properly.
Jammertal
Rep:
?
(Original post by tangsiuje)
edit2: remember to bring an adapter to fit it into the wall. you can get plenty of british-->continental here, but the continental-->british are more rare.
I will. I took a hairdryer to the interviews but I couldn't use it because I didn't have an adapter, so I'll not forget again to get one.
global_warning
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Make sure the current is the same too- I don't know about Germany but the UK alternating current is 220/240 and the US is 110/120...make sure if the voltage is different to get a step up or step down transformer, and not just an adapter.
Jammertal
Rep:
?
Oh that sounds if it could get really complicated. :mad: Thanks for the info. I'll bear it in mind once I get the adapter/ transformer.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.8%
No - but I will (102)
7.68%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.85%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (633)
47.67%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise