German or English keyboard? Watch

PieMaster
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Most if not all computer equipment is auto-sensing between 110v and 240v, it'll say if it is on the label.
global_warning
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by PieMaster)
Most if not all computer equipment is auto-sensing between 110v and 240v, it'll say if it is on the label.
Quite true- with some desktops there is a switch you need to throw manually, see your owner's manual. Laptops have a transformer bloc on the charging cable. It's the other electrics you need to watch- you need different transforming functions for heating appliances (Jammertal's hairdryer), other appliances like, for example, electric toothbrushes, and be careful with electronics. If the German current is the same, it's not a problem.
Jammertal
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
In Germany there are also 230V.
*soph*
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
My laptop is German but I manage fine with a German keyboard and I haven't had any problems with adaptors either. Only thing is, because all the software installed is English, the umlaut keys don't actually work, but I'm used to touchtyping anyway so it hasn't been a problem for me.
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i have an american keyboard and it's no problem,if i have to use umlaute i just change the configuration.but i haven't found the euro sign yet :-)
Jammertal
Rep:
?
Same with the GBP sign here. Don't know how I get it here on TSR. (Ok, I haven't tried yet though :p:)
thomasp
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The power adapters for Mac laptops cope with 110 - 240V with no switching involved. You will probably have to get an adapter for the UK socket though.

The £ (pound) sign may be alt+2 or alt+3. On my PowerBook, here in the UK, the £ sign is Shift+3, while to get the Euro € sign, I need to do alt+2.

If you find you're having trouble typing on English keyboards, you can always buy a cheap USB English keyboard to "practice" on - just remember to switch the keyboard layout to UK from German though!!
Jammertal
Rep:
?
(Original post by thomasp)
The power adapters for Mac laptops cope with 110 - 240V with no switching involved. You will probably have to get an adapter for the UK socket though.

The £ (pound) sign may be alt+2 or alt+3. On my PowerBook, here in the UK, the £ sign is Shift+3, while to get the Euro € sign, I need to do alt+2.

If you find you're having trouble typing on English keyboards, you can always buy a cheap USB English keyboard to "practice" on - just remember to switch the keyboard layout to UK from German though!!
Thanks for the tips, but alt+2/3 isn't the Pound sign. I'll try to find it later...
thomasp
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Jammertal)
Thanks for the tips, but alt+2/3 isn't the Pound sign. I'll try to find it later...
Do this:

Apple Menu (top left of the screen) --> System Preferences --> International --> Input Menu:

If it is not checked, click the tickbox next to "Keyboard Viewer" at the top of the "page", then make sure "Show input menu in menu bar" is clicked. You'll notice the flag for whatever language your keyboard is set to (or possibly the actual name of the language or keyboard setting) in the right hand end of the menu bar.

Click on the flag and choose "Show Keyboard viewer". A "floating" window will appear showing a map of the keyboard. Hold down the shift key, alt key or both to see what keys are "available" with that key combination - find the £ sign

Edit:

I'm not sure if this will work on your computer, but I've just tried setting my input language to German, and to get the £ sign, you have to hold down alt + shift and press 4.
Freckles
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I hadn't even thought about all this before you brought it up :p: I'll just bring my German laptop and things should be fine. The important thing is that you're comfortable and familiar with your keybord. Every new keyboard takes getting used to and I hate those phases... When I first got my laptop, I kept hitting two keys at once because I was so used to the bigger desktop ones...
Don't worry about it, you should be fine with a German one And you'll have a new one, too! Mine is oooold :p: (as in ... 1 1/2 years, but anyway! lol)
Freckles
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
P.S. I have a windows laptop, but I dunno how to get the the pound sign either ... Anyone :confused: ?
Jammertal
Rep:
?
(Original post by thomasp)
Apple Menu (top left of the screen) --> System Preferences --> International --> Input Menu:
Sorry, but I'm still using a Windows PC until my Apple Laptop is delivered.

Anne, try Systemsteuerung > Regions- und Sprachoptionen > Erweitert und dann GB und Nordirland. Danach sollte das irgendwie gehen, mit den Tastenkombis die thomas vorgeschlagen hat. (Dafür muss man neustarten, sonst hätte ich schon versucht :p:).
thomasp
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Jammertal)
Sorry, but I'm still using a Windows PC until my Apple Laptop is delivered.
No worries - let me know how it works when you get your mac
mauritius
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by 713)
but i haven't found the euro sign yet :-)
On my keyboard it works with Alt and E.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (571)
37.71%
No - but I will (119)
7.86%
No - I don't want to (109)
7.2%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (715)
47.23%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise