Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I've been offered a place on the undergraduate history course at Oxford and at LSE. I'm really struggling to decide which one to take. I would really appreciate any advice on what I should be considering when making the choice. The course at LSE looks more interesting but I can see myself closeting myself way in my room and maybe feeling a bit lonely.

ReputationRep:
    Two things to think about:

1. Look very closely at the content of the course. Sounds like you've done some of this already but you need to check that there are optional courses in each of the three years of the degree that 'excite' you and you have a real interest in doing (not just passing the time).

2. Think about the reality of living in London or Oxford. Where would you be living, how far from the library is it, and what sort of 'other people' go to that Uni? Where are you going to feel the happiest spending three important years of your life? Yes, London can be miserable - its big and impersonal. But so can Oxford be - if you arent into what everybody else at Oxford is in to.

Try the Big Piece of Paper Test.
    Divide it in two (one column for each Uni) and write down all the pros and cons for going to each. Include everything, even the things you dont like to admit. Include things to do with the course, the accommodation, distance from home. 'feelings' etc etc. Stick it up on the wall and add to it as other things occur to you. Often just writing things down really helps to clarify all the thousands of thoughts swimming about in your head.

ReputationRep:
    I hate to be simplistic but go for Oxford.

Its just better to have Oxford on a resume cause its more recogniseable.

Or y'know you could just see who is teaching and decide based on that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    how can you reject oxford!

ReputationRep:
    What do you find more interesting about the course at LSE?I'm thinking about doing a history degree and find it intriguing that you have found something about LSE that inspires you to be drawn there
    !Oxford is the natural choice, tradition, prestige being surrounded by an academic atmosphere etc.
    What motivated you to choose LSE in the first place? Are you interested in economic history?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.