Gcse Drama Devised Exam! Ideas Needed, Theme: "illusion & Perception" Watch

Tiramisu_
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
hey im doing my drama gcse devised piece in a couple of weeks. my group is desparate on abstract ideas revolving around the theme "illusion & perception" all to do with teh way different people see the same things. any ideas on what we can do?
(for example... -scenes we have so far:
*faith: the idea that god is an illusion, and what the idea of "GOD" has done to people to make them see things in a certain way... also the idea of faith is related to cults.. and teh whole idea of having your thoughts and beliefs controlled by one person.
*stereotype scene: which is where we take 5 stereotypes who will be doing...
-the geek: on his laptop
-the fat person: eating his/her pie in a really gross way
-the amazingly sucessful lawyer: on the phone?
-the straight A* student: being smart?

this will make the audience laugh at the fat and geeky people and be grossed out by what they are doing but admire the sucessful lawyer and straight a* student. we will then BREAK THE STEREOTYPE.
-the geek: turns out to be a wiz with women
-the fat person: has a fat wife who loves them so much that its just so cute
-the amazingly sucessful lawyer: has OCD and real issues with public places and dirty surfaces
-the straight A* student: is going to school tomorow to kill herself.)

those are just some of what we have got.. ive been thinking about the idea of anoerexia and they idea of lust being an illusion.. something thats not real... any ideas on that would be great!

thanks any help is really really apprieciated!
Magickal_Faerie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
umm, maybe a bit on the way autistic children see things differently? Im not suggesting making them a mascot, or making fun of them or anything like that, just if you say to a quite advanced autistic child, "Its raining cats and dogs", they might expect to see cats and dogs falling from the sky. i dont know if that was any help to you at all.

Try the different sides of an arguement, maybe. People on each side see the situation differently. Or the 'magic eye' photos?

i dont really know what else to say, im not really sure what you mean!
mazvaz
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
We just did our AS practical on the theme of illusion vs reality which we all thought was an amzing idea. Our story was abpout the fake and superficial world that we live in where people are obsessed with having to be beautiful and look perfect and that under these perfection illusion lies dark realities - they aren't all that perfect.
We had a prostitute who was thrown out by her husband because he thought that she wasn't good enough for him as she spoils his image of the perfect guy - she just wanted to be herself - which he didn't like.
There was a model who has always dreamed of entering the modelling industry and now that she's here, no one sees the real her as she has to put on this image to be perfect which she isn't - she was bullied as a child and she's very insecure.
There is the model agent who has always wanted to enter the proffesion and now that he's made it, he sees our false evrybody is and he can't stand it as he has to live up to this image of a perfect guy when he just wants to be himself - it's all an illusion.
Then's the drugy who's family lives in a high class society which she couldn't stand because it was so fake - she took drugs to escape from this fake world so she could be taken into the 'real' world.
Our main message to the audience was just be yourself, and to love yorself for who you are.

It was very abstract and expressionistic. We used naturalistic acting when we were showing the real us, but when we were in front of other peple, the acting was very stylised and axxagerated symbolisng the falseness of everything. It worked out really well and we all got A's for it.

You could use this idea of the illusion of life itself and that people put on a mask to hide away the real them because they are unhappy and dissatisfied. That behind the lives that seems so perfect lies unhappiness. You may want to look up DV8. They're a physical theatre company and research their show 'Just for Show' - i can honestly say it was the most amazing piece of theatre that i have ever seen and they were a huge inspiration for our practical since their shows looks at how prominent illusions are in our llife - it was a show that explored the imoprtance of image and appearence. They say that we now live in a world where looking good has become more important than being good, and where beautiful lies hide grubby truths. It was quite a haunting piece.

So yeah research that and look at their reviews - i hope this helps!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (329)
37.34%
No - but I will (71)
8.06%
No - I don't want to (63)
7.15%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (418)
47.45%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise