Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Having had a basic multi-gym for a long time I've recently acquired some free weights and decided it's time to start a proper training routine. I'm a member of my local gym but until last week there were no free weights besides dumbbells - now they have a squat rack, bench and barbells I think I'll start going again. The equipment I have at home at the moment includes a barbell, two dumbbells, a cheap multi gym, a pull up bar, ergo and my road and mountain bike (I'm a cyclist primarily).

My goal is to gain muscle as I'm relatively weak and to improve my physique. I'm currently 16, 184cm tall, weigh 65kg and I've been a vegetarian all my life but having a good diet, I don't think this has caused problems. I'm also mildly asthmatic.

My routine as it stands:
    Monday - Chest Day
    Tuesday - Shoulder Day
    Wednesday - Leg Day
    Thursday - Back and Tricep Day
    Friday - Rest Day
    Saturday - Abs and Biceps Day
    Sunday - Rest/Cycling Day

The purpose of the thread is to motivate me and also to track my progress. I'll be updating this after each workout with what I've done and what I'm lifting as well as posting photos and stats periodically.

Start Point - One Rep Max
    Dumbbell Curl - 14KG
    Chin Ups - 8
    Barbell Curl - 30KG
    Clean and Jerk - 32KG
    Tricep Pull Downs - 25KG

Might as well plug my Strava whilst I'm here too for when I get back into riding properly:
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/1140110

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamHedges)
    Having had a basic multi-gym for a long time I've recently acquired some free weights and decided it's time to start a proper training routine. I'm a member of my local gym but until last week there were no free weights besides dumbbells - now they have a squat rack, bench and barbells I think I'll start going again. The equipment I have at home at the moment includes a barbell, two dumbbells, a cheap multi gym, a pull up bar, ergo and my road and mountain bike (I'm a cyclist primarily).

My goal is to gain muscle as I'm relatively weak and to improve my physique. I'm currently 16, 184cm tall, weigh 65kg and I've been a vegetarian all my life but having a good diet, I don't think this has caused problems. I'm also mildly asthmatic.

My routine as it stands:
    Monday - Chest Day
    Tuesday - Biceps
    Wednesday - Leg Day
    Thursday - Back and Tricep Day
    Friday - Shoulder Day
    Saturday - Abs Day
    Sunday - Rest/Cycling Day

The purpose of the thread is to motivate me and also to track my progress. I'll be updating this after each workout with what I've done and what I'm lifting as well as posting photos and stats periodically.
    No. That is not the purpose of this thread. If it was, you would just keep a personal record.

And now I have commented, I'll undoubtedly be subjected to each and every one of your self-indulgent updates.

(that said, good luck)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Bro split gah ... Think this would be best posted in the fitness blogs section hopefully someone will move it for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dhaden)
    Bro split gah ... Think this would be best posted in the fitness blogs section hopefully someone will move it for you.
    Agreed.. done !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LexiswasmyNexis)
    No. That is not the purpose of this thread. If it was, you would just keep a personal record.

And now I have commented, I'll undoubtedly be subjected to each and every one of your self-indulgent updates.

(that said, good luck)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    post this in the fitness blogs section if you're going to track progress with it, or perhaps one of the mods can move it?

also why not combine abs and biceps? seems a bit inefficient to have separate days for them.

ReputationRep:

(that said, good luck)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Afaik most notepads/excel spreadsheets don't offer motivation.

ReputationRep:

(that said, good luck)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I was hoping having out here for people to see would help me stick to my routine but I guess only time will tell. Thanks for the good luck though!

(Original post by Dhaden)
    (Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
    Agreed.. done !
    Sorry if I put it in the wrong place, I don't really know my way around here Thanks for moving it.

(Original post by areebmazhar)
    also why not combine abs and biceps? seems a bit inefficient to have separate days for them.
    I was thinking abs didn't really need a whole day, how about replacing biceps with triceps and then combining bicep and abs day? Or do triceps not warrant a full day either?

ReputationRep:
    I was hoping having out here for people to see would help me stick to my routine but I guess only time will tell. Thanks for the good luck though!

Sorry if I put it in the wrong place, I don't really know my way around here Thanks for moving it.

I was thinking abs didn't really need a whole day, how about replacing biceps with triceps and then combining bicep and abs day? Or do triceps not warrant a full day either?
    How long have you been training for? If you're a beginner a full body workout 2 or 3 times a week would get you better results, before splitting everything into bodyparts.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think your lifting routine is very good. One week between body parts -- unless you are chemically enhancing yourself lol -- is very inefficient and a slow way of adding muscle. You should definitely go for full body or upper/lower splits and I'm sure other members can post you a good routine (which will inevitably be loosely based on Strong Lifts 5x5 or Starting Strength).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by areebmazhar)
    How long have you been training for? If you're a beginner a full body workout 2 or 3 times a week would get you better results, before splitting everything into bodyparts.
    For about six months now but not consistently, I was hoping that if I got into a routine where I trained daily I'd be less likely to just skip days. I got my multi gym in about November time and I've put on nearly two stone since. My body seems to respond quite well to training.

ReputationRep:
    For about six months now but not consistently, I was hoping that if I got into a routine where I trained daily I'd be less likely to just skip days. I got my multi gym in about November time and I've put on nearly two stone since. My body seems to respond quite well to training.
    If it's working for you then scratch the above post, just carry on. You're happy, your body is responding and it's a routine you enjoy so stick to it. Good luck and keep the thread updated

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, not the "wrong" place, you'll just get more support with it being here . Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    If it's working for you then scratch the above post, just carry on. You're happy, your body is responding and it's a routine you enjoy so stick to it. Good luck and keep the thread updated
    Perhaps it's in part due to the compound exercises I'm doing whilst targeting specific muscles. Thanks for the support and contributions

ReputationRep:
    I'd add one more cardio routine if I was you and merge Tuesday, Friday and Saturday routines. You don't want to be that guy who spends all his life in the gym, especially if you're going to spread it around and not really get much from each visit. If you're going for aesthetics then cardio chisels your figure and makes it look more natural, if you're going for fitness then it's going to improve your ticker and burn fat. That's my $0.02, take it or leave it.

ReputationRep:
    I was busy on Friday and as it's raining and windy I decided to do shoulder day today.

Standing Dumbbell Shoulder Press 6KG - 3 x 10
    Upright Barbell Rows 18KG - 3 x 10
    Front Dumbbell Raises 3.5KG - 3 x 5
    Lateral Raises 3.5KG - 3 x 5

I was also clean and jerking ~27KG but I'm not sure how you're supposed to do them in terms of reps and sets. I'd like to have done the upright rows with dumbbells as I've heard that barbells can limit the movement and potentially damage your shoulder but I don't have enough weight at the moment.

On another note, my legs are finally recovered from leg day.
    Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Last_Melon)
    I'd add one more cardio routine if I was you and merge Tuesday, Friday and Saturday routines. You don't want to be that guy who spends all his life in the gym, especially if you're going to spread it around and not really get much from each visit. If you're going for aesthetics then cardio chisels your figure and makes it look more natural, if you're going for fitness then it's going to improve your ticker and burn fat. That's my $0.02, take it or leave it.
    Well I'm training to ride John o'Groates to Land's End in the summer and I'll be riding over 100 miles each day so I'll be training on my bike at least twice and probably three times a week in the coming months.

ReputationRep:
    Today was chest day:

Chest Press (Multi Gym) - 3 x 13
    Dumbbell Floor Press 9KG x 2 - 3 x 10
    Push Ups - 3 x Fail

Unfortunately I don't have a bench to do proper presses but I'm sure I'll get one sooner or later.

Here's one of my favourite motivational videos

ReputationRep:
    How long are you spending doing your exercise's because it seems from what I've read you spend 10-15 minutes at the gym and leave (no offence).

Also what type of weights are you doing and what is your progression like currently?

Finally, what is your diet like, are you using any supplements?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingGym)
    How long are you spending doing your exercise's because it seems from what I've read you spend 10-15 minutes at the gym and leave (no offence).

Also what type of weights are you doing and what is your progression like currently?

Finally, what is your diet like, are you using any supplements?

Cheers
    I'm usually in the gym for somewhere between half an hour to an hour but that includes a warm up.

What do you mean by what type of weights do you use? They're standard as opposed to Olympic. I don't really know about progression as I've only just got into a proper routine but the purpose of this thread is to track my progress.

I'm vegetarian but my diets pretty good really and I don't use any supplements.

ReputationRep:
    I'm usually in the gym for somewhere between half an hour to an hour but that includes a warm up.

What do you mean by what type of weights do you use? They're standard as opposed to Olympic. I don't really know about progression as I've only just got into a proper routine but the purpose of this thread is to track my progress.

I'm vegetarian but my diets pretty good really and I don't use any supplements.
    I think he meant what you weight you are actually lifting for all the major lifts.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.