Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Morning all,

As the title states, has any got any tips and advice for revising in a noisy house!

I have two younger brothers and they're always being noisy! My mum tries to keep them quite, but I seem to be able to hear everything in my room! It's like I can hear every little noise in the house, if people are talking in the kitchen I can hear their entire conversation in my room!

I'm trying to revise for my GCSE Exams and I want to spend more time revising, but it's simply too noisy to concentrate at certain times. Is anyone else in the same situation?

I have thought about going to bed when I get in from school and then revising in the night when everyone's asleep. Has this worked for anyone?

Thanks in anticipation

ReputationRep:
    Library.

USING THE TSR APP

ReputationRep:
    SolutionName:  earplugs.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  3.8 KB Ear plugs

ReputationRep:
    Get some noise cancelling headphones and a decent playlist

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MetropolisBoy)
    SolutionName:  earplugs.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  3.8 KB Ear plugs
    They don't even block out the noise, that's how noisy everyone is!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .JJ)
    Get some noise cancelling headphones and a decent playlist
    I get distracted when revising to music!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olympiad)
    Library.

USING THE TSR APP
    Thanks, I might give the library a try.

ReputationRep:
    answer to all your prayers my friend http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KaOrSuWZeM

i also converted a smaller white noise video onto my ipod and use that to drown out my family.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james-p)
    If you have a local library, they do come in handy for this sort of thing. Though if you, like I, live in a village in the middle of nowhere, a park or a church may be worth thinking about (or just sitting in your garden - presuming you have one).

ReputationRep:
    lol my situation is much worse, I have my 2 parents, 5 brothers and sisters, 2 cats, a dog, a very noisy cockatiel and loads of family friends coming in and out of the house. Plus its only a 3 bedroom house. I just use the library

ReputationRep:
    I have this problem and I have no local library like one user has suggested. Usually I just play my own music loud enough to block it out, or attempt to ignore the noise completely. However I do often find myself doing the majority of my work/revision between can 2am-5am

ReputationRep:
    You can either study in the library, at school, at night or really early in the morning. Get a lock on your door and try and soundproof it

ReputationRep:
    I find classical music (I just stick classic fm on) is good for this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james-p)
    Try revising with classical music, it's not distract as it has no lyrics. I have unbelievably noisy neighbours, and that's what I use to drown out the sound.

Classic FM is good to listen to.

ReputationRep:
    I used to think I found music distracting, but actually I only find music with lyrics distracting. If library doesn't work for you (which would be my first suggestion) then try something like this.

ReputationRep:
    Is there a library nearby? You could revise at night although I imagine you would still be tired and you might struggle to sleep, given the noise.

Alternatively, can you listen to music whilst revising? If you can't (like me), then you could just listen to 'noise'. There are various websites which will play endless white noise and I find it's quite useful at blocking out external noises (for me it's the sound of water dripping in my student flat), but isn't distracting as music can be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RibenaRockstar)
    I find classical music (I just stick classic fm on) is good for this.
    SNAP :h:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah - use some music (if the lyrics distract you, look for some jazz or classical) - get some over ear headphones and power revise for hours

ReputationRep:
    If you think that's bad, wait till you get to uni!

ReputationRep:
    Definitely Library. There'll be silent areas you can study in where no-one is talking and plus you'll get more work done because there are no distractions

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.