The Student Room Group

Revising in a noisy house!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
don't try revising at night, I've found it really doesn't work!! tried to do this when I was doing my january exams and I couldn't manage it. I would wake up exhausted and not ready for the day at all and when it came to night revising again I was just falling straight to sleep:s-smilie:

I have 2 little sisters who are absolute nightmares when revising and i found it much easier to either go to a friends house, the library or starbucks with my friends.

:smile:
I also have 2 very noisy brothers and one of my brothers moved into my room when I moved out to go to uni (my brothers used to share a room before). So when I come home the only place I can revise is the living room, which is also the dining room. The TV is always on in the living room and my brothers are really loud all the time. My mum also has friends around who bring their little kids with them! Its so annoying!! We don't have a garden and we live int he middle on nowhere so there is no library within walking distance.

I've just learned to live with it. I use ear plugs. Although they don't block out all the noise, its better than nothing! I also stay up late revising until 2-3am when everyone else is in bed.
Original post by RibenaRockstar
I find classical music (I just stick classic fm on) is good for this.

Thanks so much for this. I live in the historical center of Turin, an Italian city of a million people, and somehow classical music just feels right to me when I study here. Stack of books, fountain pen, calculator on the side, cup of espresso in hand while listening to classical music. :moon:
Original post by james-p
I get distracted when revising to music! :frown:

As sad as it may seem, go classical. Really, dont knock it till you've tried.
whoops, someones already recommended it, oh well now you have double reason to try it op :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
I am in the exact position as you! It is always noisy in my house, currently my mum is doing the Hoover upstairs whilst my brothers are talking downstairs and I am stuck in the living room, I literally cannot take it ! Similar to your situation, my house is thin walled so even if I'm upstairs, I can still hear what's going on in the other rooms... What annoys me the most is hearing my family walking :/ The library is definately a great place to revise as it should be quiet in there :smile: you could also try a friends house, however choosing the right friend is important as there always the possibility of being distracted. Revising in a similar context to your exam hall (I.e. quiet, at a desk) is very important as it enables you to recall more due to familiarisation. Good luck with your exams and revision!
Reply 25
classical music or any other music without lyrics really does work for a lot of people! although if it's really not helping, get out of the house - if the weather's good, sling a couple of textbooks in a bag and find a park bench or a cafe. revising with friends really does a lot of good too - although if you can't meet up with them for whatever reason, skype/videocall them - it's just as good. as long as you can throw some ideas around together, test each other and make your revision more active.

Posted from TSR Mobile
how about you use your common sense and close the door, kick them all out of your room and close the door....
Original post by han.23
don't try revising at night, I've found it really doesn't work!! tried to do this when I was doing my january exams and I couldn't manage it. I would wake up exhausted and not ready for the day at all and when it came to night revising again I was just falling straight to sleep:s-smilie:

I have 2 little sisters who are absolute nightmares when revising and i found it much easier to either go to a friends house, the library or starbucks with my friends.

:smile:

why would u revise at starbucks
Reply 28
Thanks guys for all your advice, it's been very useful. I might try out the local library next week :smile:
Original post by james-p
They don't even block out the noise, that's how noisy everyone is!

You should try getting some of the silicone ear plugs like these: http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Pharmaceuticals-Soft-Silicone-Earplugs-Pink-3-Pairs-_1121441/

That's how I managed to sleep in my student house of 7 with paper thin walls :wink:
Reply 30
Original post by therisenmitten
You should try getting some of the silicone ear plugs like these: http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Pharmaceuticals-Soft-Silicone-Earplugs-Pink-3-Pairs-_1121441/

That's how I managed to sleep in my student house of 7 with paper thin walls :wink:

They're the ones I was using! Still didn't manage to block out the noise! It made it worse in a way, I could just feel my room vibrating!
Original post by james-p
They're the ones I was using! Still didn't manage to block out the noise! It made it worse in a way, I could just feel my room vibrating!

Never wear them whilst eating crisps :tongue:
Reply 32
Original post by therisenmitten
Never wear them whilst eating crisps :tongue:

I thought wearing them with hiccups was bad! :wink:
Reply 33
http://www.rainymood.com/ plug yourself in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending