Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i really want to apply for a journalism/PR related course at UWE. But i thought it was at Frenchay but it is actually at Bower Ashton. I really don't want to stay at market gate and really wanted to stay at the student village, as it seems easier to meet people. Market gate and other city accommodation only has arty people, and the whole good thing about uni is meeting loads of people, not just artsy people.
    Everyone says that the student village is too far away from Bower Ashton and the buses are crap, but it is only for a year- so is it doable?

ReputationRep:
    I spent much of my childhood less than two miles away from Bower Ashton, so I know the area well. Firstly I wouldn't want to travel in from Frenchay every day - you'd be on the bus for well over an hour each way.

I very much doubt that it's only art people at Marketgate, and you can meet people doing different courses by getting involved in societies.

Given that the First bus "service" is the worst I have ever come across in the world (expensive to the point if being unaffordable, infrequent, often late and sometimes failing to show up at all) I would live at Marketgate and cycle in. It's quite a nice, flat route and much of it is along an offroad cycle path known as the Festival Way.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you're studying at Bower Ashton I'd recommend living in the center because it can take over an hour to get a bus from UWE to the center in rush hour.

Why don't you look into other accommodation? Theres Nelson & Drake House, Hotwells, Transom House, Favell House, The Rackhay and many more.

ReputationRep:
    Hey! Ive applied for journalism. I have my interview tomorrow. (Well today now) I'm super excited. I am hoping to live in private rented accomodation in the centre. To be honest, yeah they will all be artsy people at bower but you have access to the frenchay campus whenever you like anyway... you can use their 24/7 library ect. In my opinion, the centre is a much nicer place visually, culturally and employment wise than Frenchay. for instance if you want a small part time job, it really isn't hard to find one in the centre. I wouldn't really worry about the people at bower ashton only being artsy people because they all come from very different backgrounds. I know a person there who comes from america and has lived abroad most of their life, so it's not like you're going to meet people who you won't find interesting. Anyway. If you are still thinking about applying, I'd hurry up and do it because time's running out! (I applied late too about 3 weeks ago). And if you do get in, message me as I will be looking for people to flat/house share with in/near the centre
    Good luck and I hope this helped!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.