Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    In the Scotland independence vote, 16 year olds will be allowed to vote.

If 16 year olds are mature enough in the Scotland vote, does this mean that the voting age for general elections should be lowered to 16 instead of 18?

I was just wondering about other people's point of view on this topic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aoxa)
    In the Scotland independence vote, 16 year olds will be allowed to vote.

If 16 year olds are mature enough in the Scotland vote, does this mean that the voting age for general elections should be lowered to 16 instead of 18?

I was just wondering about other people's point of view on this topic
    Yep. There aren't really any arguments in favour of keeping it at 18. The one that always comes up is 'they're not mature enough' but there's just as many idiots at 18 as there is at 16, so might as well let those who want to have a say. Especially as you get charged 'adult' prices everywhere. If I'm an adult, treat me like one ktnx.

ReputationRep:
    Everything needs equalising age wise, seems to be moving more to 18 than 16 though with education changes and legal age to buy cigs. Personally I'd go with 18 but I think theres a world wide definition of a child as someone under 18.

ReputationRep:
    No way.

Although there are a minority of relatively smart 16 year olds in the country, they are far outnumbered by the number of idiots at that age.
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    The simple unavoidable truth is the following:

a) The brain isn't fully developed yet at 16.
    b) 16 year olds have unrealistic expectations about the world as they've not yet started working.
    c) It's only two years of your life you have to wait in order to get something that's pointless really.
    d) Politicians would abuse the younger vote garnering making us even less about policy and more about image.

I'm not saying 18 year olds are automatically more capable of making informed decisions, and to be perfectly honest I wouldn't mind it be raised to 21. The simple truth is school life isn't the real world, and I personally believe most (not all) 16 year olds wouldn't vote on policy at all, but on propoganda.

ReputationRep:
    Liberal Democrats would eventually get a majority.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sgt.Incontro)
    No way.

Although there are a minority of relatively smart 16 year olds in the country, they are far outnumbered by the number of idiots at that age.
    Difference from any other age group...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Difference from any other age group...?
    Not much, but obviously the average 16 year old is still less mature than the average 18 year old.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)
    The simple unavoidable truth is the following:

a) The brain isn't fully developed yet at 16.
    b) 16 year olds have unrealistic expectations about the world as they've not yet started working.
    c) It's only two years of your life you have to wait in order to get something that's pointless really.
    d) Politicians would abuse the younger vote garnering making us even less about policy and more about image.

I'm not saying 18 year olds are automatically more capable of making informed decisions, and to be perfectly honest I wouldn't mind it be raised to 21. The simple truth is school life isn't the real world, and I personally believe most (not all) 16 year olds wouldn't vote on policy at all, but on propoganda.
    1) Not everyone's brain is fully developed at 18. Some people develop quicker than others. I don't see why this would matter considering 18 isn't much better.

2) Rich adults who've never had to work have unrealistic expectations. So do numerous other groups.

3) I'd still have liked to be able to vote, regardless of whether people think it's pointless

4) That's a valid point but they can already do that with regards to other minority groups.

I don't really see how it's any different to any other age group.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sgt.Incontro)
    Not much, but obviously the average 16 year old is still less mature than the average 18 year old.
    Wanna' bet? Most people my age are immature little ****s, even more so than when they were 16 because a lot of them have moved out and so have nothing to stop them acting like idiots

ReputationRep:
    The brain is actually not fully developed until the age of 20-21, but still I would like 16 year old children to vote.

I've actually had quite a pleasant experience from the 16 year old children I met in this country. Although they weren't very mature, they were clearly very smart and also very liberal. In fact they mostly have better opinions than their own parents. The younger generation is much more liberal and much less racist and homophobic than the older generations.

Also you have to consider that 16 year old children DO make decisions that affect them when they're older, but they don't have the perks that 18 year olds have. That's not fair.

ReputationRep:
    16 year olds aren't old enough to vote in the Scottish referendum either. The SNP just want a load of teenagers to get all passionate and idealistic.
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Tyrion_Lannister)
    1) Not everyone's brain is fully developed at 18. Some people develop quicker than others. I don't see why this would matter considering 18 isn't much better.

2) Rich adults who've never had to work have unrealistic expectations. So do numerous other groups.

3) I'd still have liked to be able to vote, regardless of whether people think it's pointless

4) That's a valid point but they can already do that with regards to other minority groups.

I don't really see how it's any different to any other age group.

1) Which is why I suggested it should be raised to 21 :yep:

2) This is true, but at least they have interests even if that's protecting their investments and funds, whereas even rich unrealistic 16 year olds won't have any say in their affairs yet.

3) That's true, and I always vote to exercise my right. The point I was highlighting by linking that video is that there are much more pressing things to address.

4) Yes, but we should be focused on decreasing how much of that occurs rather than increasing.

The only valid pro argument in my eyes is the fact that 16 year olds have no say in matters that massively affect them. Ideally a system would protect that, and I don't think lowering the voting age actually would.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyrion_Lannister)
    Wanna' bet? Most people my age are immature little ****s, even more so than when they were 16 because a lot of them have moved out and so have nothing to stop them acting like douches
    I said on average.

Just forget about perceptions, as they will wildly vary. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    No way, not many 16 year old's I know are politically aware or even capable of being so.

ReputationRep:
    you should make this a poll
    But imo, no if anything it should be highered... I'm 17 and I know barely anything about politics, and I know way more than many others in my year...I don't think 18 years is enough experience to have an opinion on how the country is run, many people will probably vote based purely on the rise of tuition fees without a proper insight to anything else. I think that the age can only be lowered if learning about politics is on the syllabus in high school.
    That said, even if they do lower it, most people wouldn't vote, I don't remember the exact statistics but most people under 24 don't vote (I think this is shocking and in 16 days, whenever I'm called to vote I will because people died for that right, which is a completely different point so I'll just shut up now)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)
    1) Which is why I suggested it should be raised to 21 :yep:

2) This is true, but at least they have interests even if that's protecting their investments and funds, whereas even rich unrealistic 16 year olds won't have any say in their affairs yet.

3) That's true, and I always vote to exercise my right. The point I was highlighting by linking that video is that there are much more pressing things to address.

4) Yes, but we should be focused on decreasing how much of that occurs rather than increasing.

The only valid pro argument in my eyes is the fact that 16 year olds have no say in matters that massively affect them. Ideally a system would protect that, and I don't think lowering the voting age actually would.
    1) Fair enough, that's consistent

2) You'd be surprised. What about a disabled 16 year old who passionately wants to keep DLA? Or a 16 year old who cares for a sick mother who supports the welfare state? Or a budding entrepreneur who's just starting a company and wants to protect small business?

3) I agree there are more important things right now, but it should still be looked at

4) In order to do that we'd have to have a shift in how people think about things, which won't be achieved by limiting who can vote

ReputationRep:
    Speaking as a 16-year-old, I would like to be able to vote. Most people of my age I know are better informed about politics than people of my parents' age, and have not made clear partisan decisions, whereas more adults will stay with a single party no matter what. Labour are considering it to be part of their 2015 manifesto.

ReputationRep:
    I strongly oppose this, most people at 16 don't know enough about politics to be able to vote.

ReputationRep:
    I think if you want to realistically assess the maturity and capacity for rational political thought of 16 year olds then a debating thread on an internet UK politics forum is probably not going to give you an accurate representation.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.