Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This question is from the A level chemistry.com site (Redox obvs), which asks you to work out half-equations and then the full equation for the redox reaction. and I can't work out how they've gotten 2e- on the first part of balancing the half-equation for the sulfur compound. I worked out 1.5e-?

Turn the following processes into redox reactions by writing out half-equations and combining them:
    S2O32- --> S4O62-, I2 --> 2I-

This is the actual answer...

2S2O32- --> S4O62- + 2e
    I2 + 2e --> 2I-
    2S2O32- + I2 -->S4O62- + 2I-

BIB: I don't understand how they worked that out?
    Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    I2 + 2e- --> 2I-

2S2O32- --> S4O62- +2e-

If there was not two electrons produced in the second half equation then S4O6 would have a charge of -4.

Because two electrons are needed in the first half equation, and two electrons are produced in the second half equation, they cancel out and you get an overall equation of
    I2 + 2S2O32- +2e- --> 2I- +S4062- +2e-

Which is equal too

I2 + 2S2O32- --> 2I- +S4062-

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.