The Student Room Group

£10 MILLION publically funded funeral for Thatcher?!?!!??!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by cl_steele
leaving aside the fact 10,000,000 isnt a lot of money...

:rofl: I don't think this is a particularly advisable argument for Thatcherites to make.
Reply 41
I'd rather the money go to this, rather than paying people to stay unemployed...
I wish Labour supporters were this concerned about levels of public spending when that party was in power.
I also assume that next time there's a TUSC march or Occupy movement or UAF protest or suchlike they'll be paying 100% of the costs of policing and security themselves, one wouldn't want to be hypocritical now.
Reply 44
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
It doesn't matter. The fact is she's dead. There are people living with serious problems for who that money could make a massive difference for

And thats why we spend £125000000000 a year on welfare.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by S1L3NTPR3Y
She believed privatisation and a small state. Surely its only fitting that her funeral be financed without using public money, its what she advocated in life?

Thatcher never advocated eliminating state occasions: the opening of parliament, the monarchy, military tattoos, etc. These are also a negligible proportion of spending.

Apart from a handful of anarchists, beneath all the affected opinions on cost it's only an issue because some people don't like Thatcher.
Reply 46
Original post by rcummins1
The irony is, the people who are complaining about public money being spent on her funeral are the people who will be in the capital causing trouble, and further increasing the cost of policing :curious:

so the people don't have a right to demonstate their disagreement? nice ideology. of course the government will paint them as "trouble makers" and therefore use a mass of security to scare others into believing the demonstrators are "hooligans" and the ones committing the offense.
Reply 47
Original post by Bellissima
so the people don't have a right to demonstate their disagreement? nice ideology. of course the government will paint them as "trouble makers" and therefore use a mass of security to scare others into believing the demonstrators are "hooligans" and the ones committing the offense.

No one has a problem with people giving their opinion providing it's not within sight of someone's funeral taking place.
Original post by Idle
No one has a problem with people giving their opinion providing it's not within sight of someone's funeral taking place.

If this was a private funeral then I would agree, but the government has chosen to make this a public spectacle.
Reply 49
Original post by cl_steele
its 10million... who cares. consoidering how much has been pised away on even less important things liuke guarding that pillock in the ecuadorian embassy. leaving aside the fact 10,000,000 isnt a lot of money...

it is an enormous amount of money to individuals. if the govt. has 10mill to fritter away, fritter it away on something useful like helping people.
Reply 50
It's ridiculous
It seems a not insubstantial amount to Joe Average but 10 mil is not even a drop in the government's treasury.
I thought times were bad and the economy in a bad shape?
Well I guess it is for us normal people whose jobs get cut back so a state funded funeral can be held...
Absolutely disgusting motion diverting resources away from areas of more importance.
Just shove her body in a hole and be done with it. Ridiculous that this amount of attention/money is going towards a funeral, payed by the state.
Simple solution just put a one off windfall levy on privatised utilities and on homeowners' capital gains profits to cover the cost of Mrs Thatcher's funeral: spread across all of them it would not be an excessive charge per person and it would mean that those who benefited most from Mrs Thatcher's reforms would share the cost of her funeral: I doubt they would begrudge paying a bit to show their respects for Mrs T.
I saw this in the paper, I'm happy I've never paid tax in my life, so it isn't my money.

I think it's a waste of money honestly, why do they need security? I don't think most people are bothered that she died

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bellissima

I never said people didn't have the right to demonstrate, but at the end of there day there will be people there purely to cause trouble and destroy a few shop windows, just like what happened with the student fees protests.
Reply 57
Original post by DaveSmith99
If this was a private funeral then I would agree, but the government has chosen to make this a public spectacle.

Regardless it is someones family saying goodbye to a loved-one. Protest after the funeral is over, protest at Parliament if you think they have made it a spectacle but not in the middle of someone's funeral, it's in poor taste, show's a lack of class and I hope if anyone does they get a baton to the head and the harshest charges that can be brought.
Original post by Observatory
Thatcher never advocated eliminating state occasions: the opening of parliament, the monarchy, military tattoos, etc. These are also a negligible proportion of spending.

Apart from a handful of anarchists, beneath all the affected opinions on cost it's only an issue because some people don't like Thatcher.

My funeral would not be paid for if I keeled over and died tomorrow, provided my family could afford the burden on their own. The Thatcher estate is rich enough to cover the cost of the extravagant funeral they have chosen to throw. I accept the security costs being picked up by the taxpayer but the actual service itself, as it is not protocol to provide such a funeral to all ex-PM's and I don't see why she should receive one.
Reply 59
Ok, so it's £10,000,000. On a national scale, that is not much at all. In fact, it's very cheap.

In the UK, there are approximately 60,000,000 tax payers. Ok, well, that's £0.17 per person. You'd be buying Margaret Thatcher less than a fredo chocolate bar. It seems silly for people to get very angry over this. If it were more than, lets say, £5.00, then I would start expecting raised eyebrows, but 17p? Bah!

I rest my case.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending