Nottingham Dangerous Watch

randdom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I was just reading that Nottingham has been found to be the most dangerous city in England and Wales. That got me thinking a stupid question I know but does the fact that they haven't included Scotland mean that one or more of the scottish cities is more dangerous. Like I said a stupid question but something that has been bugging me.
George Agdgdgwngo
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by randdom)
I was just reading that Nottingham has been found to be the most dangerous city in England and Wales. That got me thinking a stupid question I know but does the fact that they haven't included Scotland mean that one or more of the scottish cities is more dangerous. Like I said a stupid question but something that has been bugging me.
Maybe it's because of like the separate government situation, but Glasgow could well be more dangerous than Nottingham. I know that Nottingham has the highest gun crime rate or something, but Glasgow has the highest knife crime rate and the highest murder rate in western Europe, so as much as I hate to say it, Glasgow could well be more dangerous.
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Apart of the problem is I don't think Nottingham ever sorted out its drug gang problem, Manchester has sorted a lot of it out, although gangland culture certainly still exists.

The Metropolitan Police also a get more funding per capita than places like Nottingham which means smaller police forces find it harder.

For those who live in Nottingham I would not worry, it is just statistics and nothing more.
Stick Man
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
They said the same about Newcastle once. Didn't bother anyone except the local news presenter.
kookabura
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Like wiki... said, some of it I would have thought depends on how they are deciding which is the most dangerous city. Is is the one with the highest gun crime rate (nottingham), or knife crime, or other factors. I don't know if this studyy has taken into account the size of each city or not, what is the crime rate in relation to the size of the cities population.

As with most cities there are 'bad' areas of Nottingham, which are probably best avoided (esp alone, and at night!) Like AT82 is saying though, I think Nottinghams biggest problem is that there is a large number of gangs though the city who are constantly going at each other, and anyone who gets in the way.

Also, as in alot of cities now, there is plenty of apathy against 'authority figures.' The most obvious is the police, but includes ambulance and fire crews. As the latter two are easier targets than the police they are frequentlu attacked by gangs of youths. A pile of rubbish is set on fire at the end of a dead end, the fire crew turn up and go to deal with the fire, the crew are then blocked in, and/or have things thrown at them (bricks etc) have fireworks fired out of drainpipes etc at them. There are areas of Nottingham where they now have to send double the crew, one to deal with the fire and one to watch their backs! When the crew do retailate (protecting themselves) they are the ones in trouble for assulting people!

I know this doesn't really relate to the OPs question, but there is alot of crime going on which wouldn't be classed under 'gun' crime or 'knife' crime etc, but is still going on.
Higgy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The report which was brought out was a load of crap, i mean in the bbc website they were comparing Nottingham and Southed! Southed with a population less than half Nottinghams? And Bradford is now the gun crime capital, Nottingham was 4th
George Agdgdgwngo
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Higgy)
The report which was brought out was a load of crap, i mean in the bbc website they were comparing Nottingham and Southed! Southed with a population less than half Nottinghams? And Bradford is now the gun crime capital, Nottingham was 4th
If the report was using crime rates/unit of population it doesn't matter what size each place is in comparison to each other. Like you said though, the report is crap, just like most reports which are clearly biased in some way or another.
Scipio
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
They rank Leicester as having a larger population than Nottingham, that simply isn't true.

The reason Nottingham is the highest for crime rate is because they exclude the suburbs (even though they are part of Nottingham) which makes the concentration of crime per person considerabley higher, especially as it takes in to consideration the more inner-city boroughs, which like all cities have more crime.
xoxo_GossipGirl
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yep not all of Notts is bad,just certain parts, but anybody with even the tiniest brain would avoid them.
serious narb
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i've been in Nottingham for 2 years now and i saw more trouble on a weekend trip to Manchester then I have since i've been in Nottm.

Like most places there are bad areas but trouble is easily avoided
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (571)
37.71%
No - but I will (119)
7.86%
No - I don't want to (109)
7.2%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (715)
47.23%

Watched Threads