Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should we purchase insurance rather than claim benefits? watch

ReputationRep:
    For example, I pay for an insurance policy that pays my wages for a year if I lose my job through redundancy, accidents, or sickness. To that end, I wouldn't be subjecting myself to the Job Centre. My parents also had an insurance policy that paid the mortgage for a set amount of time if they lost their income.

Should there be more of a focus on privately insuring yourself rather than expecting the taxpayer to look after you?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah! We could call it.......National Insurance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chadya)
    For example, I pay for an insurance policy that pays my wages for a year if I lose my job through redundancy, accidents, or sickness. To that end, I wouldn't be subjecting myself to the Job Centre. My parents also had an insurance policy that paid the mortgage for a set amount of time if they lost their income.

Should there be more of a focus on privately insuring yourself rather than expecting the taxpayer to look after you?
    Errrr we do...?

Dumb ass.

btw payment protection insurance had a bit of a track record of being dodgy - its been in the news a bit, costing banks a bit of money right now.

Jeez.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    Yeah! We could call it.......National Insurance.
    National Insurance is simply a tax that pays for **** like JSA.

ReputationRep:

Why? The end result is the same, you're paying for for someone else being out a job. what's the difference? Though tax no one is lopping off 10% or more so they can make a profit and when you claim benefits you're far less likely to be refused the payments you've earned.

ReputationRep:
    National Insurance is simply a tax that pays for **** like JSA.
    Well, yes, that's what makes it national insurance. It's insurance that everyone pays towards, and everyone can claim from if they are out of work.

The main difference in practice if everyone was expected to have insurance instead is that if you've never made enough money to be able to pay into one of these insurance schemes, you will never be able to get any benefits. Perhaps some people would consider that a good thing, but I think there are some legitimate cases where for some reason it hasn't been possible for someone to work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainingshame)
    Why? The end result is the same, you're paying for for someone else being out a job. what's the difference? Though tax no one is lopping off 10% or more so they can make a profit and when you claim benefits you're far less likely to be refused the payments you've earned.
    Since its effectively the same, the OP is wrong and so a dumbass.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.