Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    After a fantastic drive this morning (of a car which is according to the BBC not up to standard), Jenson only claimed 5th place. What surprises me is that with McLaren last year, Jenson was performing much better, finishing first in several races, including the Brazillian GP. Is it likely that Jenson will only peak at around 4th/5th this season and struggle to reach the podium? Is so, is he likely to follow former teammate Hamilton and leave McLaren? Who can doubt that Jenson is a fantastic driver who is worthy of more than 5th, yet with McLaren this season I just cant see that happening. (eg. He qualified 8th for today's race, last year he was nearly always on the front two rows at least)

ReputationRep:
    Moving team is a big risk considering the rule changes next year. You'd surely want to wait and see what happened first...

ReputationRep:
    mcclaren have lost it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by properjoka)
    mcclaren have lost it
    Couldnt agree more.

ReputationRep:
    Button is a competent driver, nothing more.

However, he is leagues ahead of Perez.

McLaren really have a bad driver pairing, at the moment. And Martin Whitmarsh is not much better.

ReputationRep:
    Too bad the car is not fast enough to compete.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
    Button is a competent driver, nothing more.

However, he is leagues ahead of Perez.

McLaren really have a bad driver pairing, at the moment. And Martin Whitmarsh is not much better.
    I'd rather have JB and SP than MW if I were the owner of an F1 team tbh.

ReputationRep:
    with Webber almost certain to leave Red Bull I can definitely see Button going there, Horner has spoken highly of him before and I think they will like how he worked well alongside Hamilton at McLaren, could be a good move for both parties.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 002)
    After a fantastic drive this morning (of a car which is according to the BBC not up to standard), Jenson only claimed 5th place. What surprises me is that with McLaren last year, Jenson was performing much better, finishing first in several races, including the Brazillian GP. Is it likely that Jenson will only peak at around 4th/5th this season and struggle to reach the podium? Is so, is he likely to follow former teammate Hamilton and leave McLaren? Who can doubt that Jenson is a fantastic driver who is worthy of more than 5th, yet with McLaren this season I just cant see that happening. (eg. He qualified 8th for today's race, last year he was nearly always on the front two rows at least)
    I think that Jenson will be on the podium at least once this season. The McLaren is bad, there's no doubt about that but I think there'll be one race in changeable conditions that will cause some chaos and it'll play to his strengths, like Williams last year.

ReputationRep:
    McClaren should have gone for Hulkenberg rather than Perez in my opinion.

Their car isn't up to the standard they usually set.

Button is doing well in terms of damage limitation I guess.

ReputationRep:
    I think Button will end his F1 career at McLaren. If Webber leaves RBR then even if Button would like to go there, I think RBR would rather take Ricciardo or Vergne. Can't really see Button moving to Ferrari; Lotus might be possible, but it seems unlikely. I doubt he'll move to a slower team just to stay in F1, which leads to the conclusion that he'll retire from F1 at McLaren imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SciFiRory)
    with Webber almost certain to leave Red Bull I can definitely see Button going there, Horner has spoken highly of him before and I think they will like how he worked well alongside Hamilton at McLaren, could be a good move for both parties.
    SV rules there.So if mark leaves they will sign a slow driver

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tigers)
    SV rules there.So if mark leaves they will sign a slow driver
    Mark leaving is a rumour, just like SV going to Ferrari

RBR may have a whole new driver pairing in 2014...who knows?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 002)
    Only reason jeson got 1st in brazil was...

1) Lewis hamilton did not finish because he got taken out
    2) Hulkenberg got a penatly for taking out lewis, he would of got 2nd if he just gained some self control

I just love how lewis hamilton got so many DNF's because of his car (many whilst leading)/ so many bad pitstops, but still managed to beat jenson button in the championship. The only time jenson button one a race was due to lewis hamilton car giving up on him.
    The amount of times button got out qualified should already tell that hes not good enough a driver compared to the top runners. He also can't set up a car for ****, stealing your team mate set up and then trying to claim yourself as number one is pretty daft tbf.

Shame martin twitmarsh made his bed with such an average driver who moans at the slightest things. Ohh the car had oversteer, why? because your can't set up for ****, stop blaming the car and the mechanics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YamahaLondon)
    Only reason jeson got 1st in brazil was...

1) Lewis hamilton did not finish because he got taken out
    2) Hulkenberg got a penatly for taking out lewis, he would of got 2nd if he just gained some self control

I just love how lewis hamilton got so many DNF's because of his car (many whilst leading)/ so many bad pitstops, but still managed to beat jenson button in the championship. The only time jenson button one a race was due to lewis hamilton car giving up on him.
    The amount of times button got out qualified should already tell that hes not good enough a driver compared to the top runners. He also can't set up a car for ****, stealing your team mate set up and then trying to claim yourself as number one is pretty daft tbf.

Shame martin twitmarsh made his bed with such an average driver who moans at the slightest things. Ohh the car had oversteer, why? because your can't set up for ****, stop blaming the car and the mechanics.
    F1 cars are delicate things with small tolerance margins. How you drive them affects reliability. Hamilton did not master this. He had raw pace but the car always seemed to let him down. He must have played a part in this by not running the car around like it should have. MW for RBR is in a similar boat. His set-up probably doesn't allow for good KERS cooling or harvesting meaning it always fails on him rather than SV.

JB is very happy with understeer (not too much obviously), but hates oversteer due to his driving style. LH is the opposite, he loves oversteer (again, not too much) but cannot live with understeer. Rear end stability is hard to get due to tighter regulations with the diffuser and rear wing nowadays so inherently the car will always tend to oversteer.

I like how you're ignoring the fact LH posted his team mates and his telemetry (and hence most likely set-up) on twitter for the world to see.

Imagine seeing JB take MW place at Red Bull, SV moving to Ferrari and LH taking his place. Two brits in the same car again! Unfortunately, JB will probably retire at the end of the next season and start managing drivers as he wants to do now.

ReputationRep:

But seriously, dynamics can change quite quickly in F1 - look at 2005 where Ferrari had a terrible season after the dominance of 2000-2004, but then came back strongly in 2006 - Mclaren certainly has the potential to improve towards the end of this year and come back strongly for 2014, putting Button in a competitive position. He has outperformed Hamilton in the past not through raw pace, but through tyre and race management, particularly in the wet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by How)
    McClaren should have gone for Hulkenberg rather than Perez in my opinion.

Their car isn't up to the standard they usually set.

Button is doing well in terms of damage limitation I guess.
    I think they should have gone for Di Resta rather than Perez tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Button might well benefit from the return of Honda as well assuming he is still with McLaren in 2015, he will know some of the people from when he was with B.A.R/Honda factory team.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Like_A_G6)
    F1 cars are delicate things with small tolerance margins. How you drive them affects reliability. Hamilton did not master this. He had raw pace but the car always seemed to let him down. He must have played a part in this by not running the car around like it should have. MW for RBR is in a similar boat. His set-up probably doesn't allow for good KERS cooling or harvesting meaning it always fails on him rather than SV.

JB is very happy with understeer (not too much obviously), but hates oversteer due to his driving style. LH is the opposite, he loves oversteer (again, not too much) but cannot live with understeer. Rear end stability is hard to get due to tighter regulations with the diffuser and rear wing nowadays so inherently the car will always tend to oversteer.

I like how you're ignoring the fact LH posted his team mates and his telemetry (and hence most likely set-up) on twitter for the world to see.

Imagine seeing JB take MW place at Red Bull, SV moving to Ferrari and LH taking his place. Two brits in the same car again! Unfortunately, JB will probably retire at the end of the next season and start managing drivers as he wants to do now.
    Your chatting SHIATT man. You seriously think the team that monitors nearly every aspect of the car would implement a setup that would compromise the car?

You also forgot that button literally copied lewis hamiltons set up week in week out.

ReputationRep:
    Second Rate driver

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.