Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all.

With an offer for straight Philosophy from both KCL and Edinburgh (at identical grades) and already knowing that essentially there is no difference in the perceived "value" of the final degree, is there any particular advantage to considering one over the other?

Being English but on a low income, the bursary on offer from Edinburgh is considerably better, which is great, but with a 4 year course that kind of negates the benefit.

The long term aim at this stage is to continue on to Post Grad level into an academic career path; will this aim be better served by a KCL degree or an Edinburgh one - assuming all other things are equal?

Sorry - but looking for all help at this stage with not long to make a decision!:confused::confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeepThought42)
    Hi all.

With an offer for straight Philosophy from both KCL and Edinburgh (at identical grades) and already knowing that essentially there is no difference in the perceived "value" of the final degree, is there any particular advantage to considering one over the other?

Being English but on a low income, the bursary on offer from Edinburgh is considerably better, which is great, but with a 4 year course that kind of negates the benefit.

The long term aim at this stage is to continue on to Post Grad level into an academic career path; will this aim be better served by a KCL degree or an Edinburgh one - assuming all other things are equal?

Sorry - but looking for all help at this stage with not long to make a decision!:confused::confused:
    edinburgh gives like £7k a year (assuming that you're entitled for the max bursary)

whereas kings only gives £1.5k, which is a bit pathetic if you ask me, considering they're a top well-established uni, ucl a few tube stations away gives double that

anyway, so its £7k vs £1.5k, so even if you take into account the extra year at edinburgh, financially you're still much better off at edinburgh

think about it, the tuition fees of each of those degree is identical, at 9k a year

since you're getting 7k per year in bursary at edinburgh, effectively that leaves you with only 2k a year to pay, so 2 times 4 (4 years you'll be studying) equals 8k in total Whereas at kings, you're only getting £1.5k per year in bursary, which leaves £7.5k per year to pay to cover the tuition fees, 7.5 times 3 equals £22.5k in total for you to pay off (in the future after you've left uni)

you tell me which is the better deal

of course you'll still need to cover accomodation and living cost for the extra year at edinburgh, but the £14.5k (22.5k - 8k) difference is more than enough to cover this

(btw do phone the unis to double check the bursary info, I'm 95% sure I'm correct about the figures, but double check for yourself just in case)

also, technically the bursary is just 'free' money given to you, so you don't have to use it to pay off the tuition fees cost (you can use it to help towards living cost which what its supposed to be), but I've assumed you'll be doing this as an example of how the extra year at edinburgh is not really that significant financially compared to doing a 3 year degree at kings

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for that info, which tallies with what I had worked out.

What I'm really interested in is whether there is any ACADEMIC advantage or disadvantage in the two choices; clearly there is a financial incentive, but that shouldn't be the only consideration.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for that info, which tallies with what I had worked out.

What I'm really interested in is whether there is any ACADEMIC advantage or disadvantage in the two choices; clearly there is a financial incentive, but that shouldn't be the only consideration.
    Can I ask what your grades are predicted/got at AS? And whether you are Scottish or not haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DonLad Academia)
    Can I ask what your grades are predicted/got at AS? And whether you are Scottish or not haha
    AAAA at AS and predicted A*A*AA at A2 - English. I couldn't bring myself to give up a subject this year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack93o)
    anyway, so its £7k vs £1.5k, so even if you take into account the extra year at edinburgh, financially you're still much better off at edinburgh
    what you're not including in your calculations is the lost year of earning.

ReputationRep:
    AAAA at AS and predicted A*A*AA at A2 - English. I couldn't bring myself to give up a subject this year!
    Nice! Come with me to Edinburgh haha

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.