Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, just wondering what is lucid dreaming because i been having tbe same dream every night for the past year.

ReputationRep:
    it's a dream where you're aware that you're dreaming.

ReputationRep:
    Lucid Dreaming is dreaming with the ability of controlling it, or more less being aware that you are dreaming.
    And recurring dreams are what you are having. Just google recurring dreams.

ReputationRep:
    Don't think of trying lucid dreaming. Sometimes it will go wrong and you will have dreams that haunt you for the rest of your life.

Some things are psychological like we never see ourselves in a mirror, or even look in the mirror in the first place, in our dreams.

Lucid dreaming removes these psychological boundaries, and if you see your face in the mirror and the background is black or something really unnatural, then that's gonna **** you up.

Posted from TSR iPad

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the suggestions
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    (Original post by JellyJ_26)
    Thanks for the suggestions
    (Original post by anonymouse01)
    Don't think of trying lucid dreaming.
    My own experiences are completely different from anonymouse's - I'm not one of those people who naturally lucid dream, I had to learn, but it didn't take much effort. It doesn't "**** you up" to see weird things in a mirror - aside from anything else, you're dreaming, so you don't really feel emotions the same way (in general, in my experience, emotions in dreams are either massively, ridiculously overamplified, or pretty much not present). You take very weird things in your stride (as if it were completely natural for you to have seven fingers, for example - that's my stock lucidity test). I've never been haunted by dreams (at least, not for longer than about five minutes after the dream ends)…

ReputationRep:
    I'm on medication that has lucid dreaming as a common side effect. I would agree with the previous descriptions about how you are aware your dreaming and can somewhat be in control of your dreams but a lot of the time I am completely lucid but have little or no control over my dream. Likewise you can have control over a dream and not be aware that you're dreaming.

ReputationRep:
    If you expect to see something bad in a mirror then you will Anonymouse :P I've been lucid dreaming for a year and a half now. It is literally just you being aware that your dreaming. Reoccurring dreams are something else entirely :P

ReputationRep:
    The only major downside of trying to lucid dream that I've had is experiencing Sleep Paralysis, that's no fun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steevee)
    The only major downside of trying to lucid dream that I've had is experiencing Sleep Paralysis, that's no fun.
    Do you have hallucinations or get vibrations when you enter sleep paralysis? I never have done which is probably why I've never minded going into sp.

On another note, with quite a few people interested in lucid dreaming on here maybe there should be a lucid dream sub-forum?

ReputationRep:
    I had a lucid dream once by accident, it was amazing, I jumped off a building and flew. Tried to get there artificially ever since, but have either woken up in excitement, forgotten the dream or failed completely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djpatch)
    Do you have hallucinations or get vibrations when you enter sleep paralysis? I never have done which is probably why I've never minded going into sp.

On another note, with quite a few people interested in lucid dreaming on here maybe there should be a lucid dream sub-forum?
    It's weird you should comment today, I had a slight LD experience last night.

For me I'm aware of my body, but it feels odd, sort of like it's vibrating or there's a light pressure all over it. This is true when I'm waking to SP or falling into an LD state. I don't often achieve proper LD, last night it was pretty uncontrollable, as I fall out of it very easily, so if I try to interact too much I often just wake into SP.
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    so if I try to interact too much I often just wake into SP.
    Goodness only knows why, but it can help to spin fast on the spot if you feel this happening (it can shuffle the environment a bit in my experience, though!), and I'm told that studying your hands in close detail works too, but I haven't really tried that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smaug123)
    Goodness only knows why, but it can help to spin fast on the spot if you feel this happening (it can shuffle the environment a bit in my experience, though!), and I'm told that studying your hands in close detail works too, but I haven't really tried that.
    I've attempted these, but once I'm aware I'm dreaming, everything becomes very delicate. The best way for me to describe it is that the dream becomes like a calm lake. If I attempt any interaction that would change the course of the dream, I make ripples, any drastic movement and the entire thing churns and dissapears. Sadly, 'drastic' movement for me is nothing in these dreams. It's like being in a film sort of, when I'm supposed to do something I can, but if I act outside of the script, then I encounter problems. For instance, in last nights' dream I was sat on a bed in a pretty ordinary situation, realising it was a dream because of the people who were there, the topic of conversation and other things that were very much out of the ordinary I decided I would attempt to pull a girl down next to me as she walked past. I'd been interacting with people, with the conversation and it felt natural, but at this action I began to feel my body in bed, like I was vibrating, and the dream became confused and unclear, I could feel both my dream body, and my real body. It took what felt like a few minutes of focussing to fall back into the dream.

I suppose, what I have isn't proper LD at all really. I'm very jealous of my Dad, he can do it properly by accident very often, and he describes it as perfect wish fufillment. So he'll want a car to be parked around the corner, walk around the corner, and presto, there's a car. Whereas for me, I'm very much a passenger in the dream.

ReputationRep:
    I've had a fair number of lucid dreams without ever trying, i hate them though. I can never change them like you're supposed to be able to, and i feel trapped because i can't wake myself up either. Sometimes i run off a cliff or something because you always wake up before you die in your dreams Sleep is a strange and fascinating thing.

ReputationRep:
    I've attempted these, but once I'm aware I'm dreaming, everything becomes very delicate. The best way for me to describe it is that the dream becomes like a calm lake. If I attempt any interaction that would change the course of the dream, I make ripples, any drastic movement and the entire thing churns and dissapears. Sadly, 'drastic' movement for me is nothing in these dreams. It's like being in a film sort of, when I'm supposed to do something I can, but if I act outside of the script, then I encounter problems. For instance, in last nights' dream I was sat on a bed in a pretty ordinary situation, realising it was a dream because of the people who were there, the topic of conversation and other things that were very much out of the ordinary I decided I would attempt to pull a girl down next to me as she walked past. I'd been interacting with people, with the conversation and it felt natural, but at this action I began to feel my body in bed, like I was vibrating, and the dream became confused and unclear, I could feel both my dream body, and my real body. It took what felt like a few minutes of focussing to fall back into the dream.

I suppose, what I have isn't proper LD at all really. I'm very jealous of my Dad, he can do it properly by accident very often, and he describes it as perfect wish fufillment. So he'll want a car to be parked around the corner, walk around the corner, and presto, there's a car. Whereas for me, I'm very much a passenger in the dream.
    hmm, have you tried touching things all around you to see how 'real' they feel? That often works to stabilise the dream. Or, if you really can't move then feel the wind on your face or the smells or sound of where you are

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deedee123)
    I've had a fair number of lucid dreams without ever trying, i hate them though. I can never change them like you're supposed to be able to, and i feel trapped because i can't wake myself up either. Sometimes i run off a cliff or something because you always wake up before you die in your dreams Sleep is a strange and fascinating thing.
    Keep trying, dream control takes alot of practice. From my first proper lucid it took me about 2 months to have enough control to learn to fly :P It also helps to tell yourself you're dreaming, have an open mind an know that anything can happen

If you want to wake up then there's two ways you can do it very easily and quickly:

1. Just shout "WAKE UP" and you often will

2. Close your eyes and spin around/fall backwards and you should wake up in your bed

ReputationRep:
    Okay so ive kept having these dreams and now i think i can actually control the whole dream. How is this possible its quite scary
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    (Original post by JellyJ_26)
    Okay so ive kept having these dreams and now i think i can actually control the whole dream. How is this possible its quite scary
    Don't be scared - you're just taking control of a natural process within your brain. AFAIK, there are no known downsides to lucid dreaming (on health etc).

ReputationRep:
    I didnt think it is was this scary i actually started getting bit freaked out but after a while i thought its nott too bad

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.