Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have come to the conclusion that I am underweight, BMI is like 16.3 (65kg for a 193cm guy ) and you can physically see I am underweight tbh, it isn't nice

I am thinking of eating pasta, bread based foods and lots of steaks but what else is there I should look towards? and how quickly do you think it would take to gain 5kg-10kg?

I'll be doing basic exercise to keep healthy but as I am not that fussed about muscle and whatnot until I am slightly fatter I am holding off on doing proper exercises or should I exercise?

But yes, suggestions please

ReputationRep:
    So you wanna gain 10kg of fat and no muscle?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krack)
    I have come to the conclusion that I am underweight, BMI is like 16.3 (65kg for a 193cm guy ) and you can physically see I am underweight tbh, it isn't nice

I am thinking of eating pasta, bread based foods and lots of steaks but what else is there I should look towards? and how quickly do you think it would take to gain 5kg-10kg?

I'll be doing basic exercise to keep healthy but as I am not that fussed about muscle and whatnot until I am slightly fatter I am holding off on doing proper exercises or should I exercise?

I don't know about food but calorie wise an extra 500 a day for a week will gain you 1lb of fat not sure if that is helpful at all. Oh and try and eat complex carbs if not you'll really mess about with you're blood glucose levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bertstare)
    So you wanna gain 10kg of fat and no muscle?
    At this moment in time I am more concerned about the fact I am underweight and would like to improve my weight up to an acceptable level (most likely 5kg more rather than 10kg) before I start exercising properly to build muscle
    (Original post by victoriajackson)
    I don't know about food but calorie wise an extra 500 a day for a week will gain you 1lb of fat not sure if that is helpful at all. Oh and try and eat complex carbs if not you'll really mess about with you're blood glucose levels.
    Not bad, so basically non-stop complex carbs (2,500kcal min?) and I should steadily gain weight? thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krack)
    At this moment in time I am more concerned about the fact I am underweight and would like to improve my weight up to an acceptable level (most likely 5kg more rather than 10kg) before I start exercising properly to build muscle

Not bad, so basically non-stop complex carbs (2,500kcal min?) and I should steadily gain weight? thank you
    But muscle is weight, and when you gain muscle you will put on some fat as well. Why on earth you'd wanna solely gain fat makes no sense, you'll end up with skinny arms and a pudgy belly, aka skinnyfat, aka the worst possible place to start. Lift heavy weights, eat a high protein, high carb, moderate fat diet and build some muscle from the get go

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krack)

Yep but don't try and gain more than 1 or 2lb a week or you'll get stretch marks trust me they don't look good!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bertstare)
    But muscle is weight, and when you gain muscle you will put on some fat as well. Why on earth you'd wanna solely gain fat makes no sense, you'll end up with skinny arms and a pudgy belly, aka skinnyfat, aka the worst possible place to start. Lift heavy weights, eat a high protein, high carb, moderate fat diet and build some muscle from the get go
    Ah I don't want skinny arms, so what do you suggest I do exercise wise? I was just going to run and cycle with weights every other day, is that viable or should I follow a programme?
    (Original post by victoriajackson)
    Yep but don't try and gain more than 1 or 2lb a week or you'll get stretch marks trust me they don't look good!
    Oh don't want stretch marks!!! I'd die if I got stretch marks :lol: thank you for your advice

ReputationRep:
    Gaining weight isn't simply of eating more for some, as you said you are underweight but tall, taken that into account, lets make the assumption you have a good metabolism so long as you are eating 3 meals a day(breakfast, lunch & dinner).

Therefore the only way of gaining weight effectively would be to exercise, through building muscle mass. As mentioned earlier you will only be gaining 1-2lbs of weight per week and that is if you stick to a high calorie diet which is balanced with all the other nutrients you need to get, as well as bulking which requires a higher intake of protein daily.

(Original post by Krack)
    Ah I don't want skinny arms, so what do you suggest I do exercise wise? I was just going to run and cycle with weights every other day, is that viable or should I follow a programme?
    Running and cycling is good for cardio and fat burning, but if you do not have the time, as most, for mass weight gaining I'd suggest to solely to concentrate on building upper body muscle, but do not forget your legs.

But remember you will have to stick to the exercise, i.e a gym or home gym and it will take at least 2-4 months to see results, but weight gain comes steadily after a month if you stick to the plan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam00)
    Yeh you need to bulk up. I am 188cm and 76kg and I still feel I need to pack of another 10kg.

You need to eat tons and tons of calories. Get yourself massive bags of walnuts, pumpkin seeds and oats.

Eat 100g of oats each morning mixed with full fat milk, blast in the microwave on full for 3 minutes then pour in with tons of honey. Get some full fat greek yoghurt and machine down half a tub straight after, and wash it down with a pint of water and a multi vit and cod liver oil. This is easy and you'll be getting around a 1000 calories for breakfast.

In between breakfast and lunch have a big banana and 50g of walnuts. And a protein shake providing you are lifting.

Then for lunch if your working or school prepare a big ass tuna sandwich with full fat mayo and big slices of bread with lots of butter. Have some crisps, and apple and a pint of water.

For dinner eat 125 of pasta, a big chicken breast or steak and 100g of spinach. Then for desert another half a tub of greek yog. Wash all down with a pint of water

Before bed eat 100g block of cheese, 50g walnuts, a banana and a pint of full fat milk
    this is what I did to gain, not the most healthy but far from junk food and after following this for a couple of months combined with training hard I put on 10kg
    How is posting your diet and eating routine going to be of any use at all to op? Anyways @op get yourself in a calorific surplus no idea why your trying to add weight just to get yourself into a certain bmi range, dum stuff if you ask me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krack)

Just eat a normal balanced diet. The main thing is the portions i.e. how much you eat. You have to figure this out by developing regular habits and then monitoring the results.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered nutrition and supplements threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.