Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What do you think doctors and med students should wear around the ward?

I don't like seeing doctors in chinos. What the hell?

ReputationRep:
    Chinos ftw.

Whatever makes them feel comfortable imo, the best doctor i've ever been with wore short and flip flops to his practice and the patients loved him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacob :))
    What do you think doctors and med students should wear around the ward?

I don't like seeing doctors in chinos. What the hell?
    Chinos are fine!
    I usually wear black trousers but have been known to rock the chinos + brown shoes look

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gozatron)
    Chinos ftw.

Whatever makes them feel comfortable imo, the best doctor i've ever been with wore short and flip flops to his practice and the patients loved him.

(Original post by Philosoraptor)
    Chinos are fine!
    I usually wear black trousers but have been known to rock the chinos + brown shoes look
    Do you not think a higher standard is needed? I'm not saying I would have a massive problem with it but most of your patients will be of an older generation who are usually far more traditional.

ReputationRep:
    Tweed jacket, a fez and a bow-tie.

ReputationRep:
    The studies that have looked at whether patient's care about what doctors wear reveals that the majority of patients don't care.

I used to wear a shirt and trousers (chinos sometimes) with trainers on most days and jeans with a scrubs top and trainers when on-call. Now I get to wear scrubs all the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacob :))
    Do you not think a higher standard is needed? I'm not saying I would have a massive problem with it but most of your patients will be of an older generation who are usually far more traditional.
    Frankly, if some of our medical students managed chinos and a shirt, I'd be pleased.

I do think doctors should be reasonably smart - you are a professional and should dress the part. But I don't think suits are necessary. Fortunately I chose a specialty where I get to wear scrubs and trainers/crocs for the rest of my life!

ReputationRep:
    I hoestly believe that a doctor wearing jeans and a t-shirt who smiles and says 'hello' to his patients will give a better impression to a doctor wearing a suit who just picks up the notes and grumbles to the junior docs. There is more to being professional that how you're dressed.

Having said that... i came across a med student who came to an ALS course wearing big headphones around his neck. That i did find offensive and unprofessional - he looked about 13 and for me it implies that he was there to listen to music rather than learn. I find that 100x worse than wearing trainers, say, but maybe that's just because i wear trainers at home but not headphones? I dunno.

This guy also just acted like a moody teenager, and indeed a complaint was made about his conduct to the med school by the course organisers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    I hoestly believe that a doctor wearing jeans and a t-shirt who smiles and says 'hello' to his patients will give a better impression to a doctor wearing a suit who just picks up the notes and grumbles to the junior docs. There is more to being professional that how you're dressed.

Having said that... i came across a med student who came to an ALS course wearing big headphones around his neck. That i did find offensive and unprofessional - he looked about 13 and for me it implies that he was there to listen to music rather than learn. I find that 100x worse than wearing trainers, say, but maybe that's just because i wear trainers at home but not headphones? I dunno.

This guy also just acted like a moody teenager, and indeed a complaint was made about his conduct to the med school by the course organisers.
    :yep: to the first part and bewilderment over the med student in the second.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muppet Science)
    :yep: to the first part and bewilderment over the med student in the second.
    The most annoying part is that he came around top of his year in Cambridge before coming here and will no doubt go on to get a top decile result. But he's an arse who's rude to everyone around him and can barely run through ABCs. Rage at the system

ReputationRep:
    The most annoying part is that he came around top of his year in Cambridge before coming here and will no doubt go on to get a top decile result. But he's an arse who's rude to everyone around him and can barely run through ABCs. Rage at the system
    Take solace in the fact his colleagues will always think he's a douche.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by March)
    Hmm... I don't know, I was thinking more of a blue suit and converse combo. Though I hear long multicoloured scarves are a winner.

ReputationRep:
    Scrubs because they're comfortable, protective and practical.

ReputationRep:
    Black tie, like you've just come in to work from an all night party.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by March)
    Or a Stetson. Stetsons are cool :cool:.

ReputationRep:
    if house is anything to go by jeans, trainers, shirt and a blazer...

ReputationRep:
    I don't care what they wear or don't wear, as long as they help cure me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Future radiologist? :p:

Not a fan of chinos personally - I also agree with you that there is more to being professional than just dressing in an expensive suit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brittanna)
    Or a Stetson. Stetsons are cool :cool:.
    Not as cool as Jayne hats!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by March)
    Not as cool as Jayne hats!
    I just kind of assumed that everyone knew that, and so it would be a waste of time saying it .

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.