Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So recently I opened a student account, no idea what it is, just knew that I had to open an account according to studentfinance.

The bank says stuff like, you will get a credit card, rather than a debit card, apparently £3 charge on cash withdrawls. Some stuff about interest or something...i don't even know.

What is the difference between all these different cards? Why do all these accounts have different names? What is the difference? What are ISAs? Do I have to pay money to have an account? What is this "full debit repayment" tickbox in this application for an account? What is this APR stuff? What is credit interest? What is a credit rating? Will this bank loan me the 9k a year I need? Why do shops brag about having cashback, isn't that just your own money from your account? i understand f***ing squat! I've tried to Google this but all I get are sites explaining what money itself is, which is obviously not what I'm looking for..aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

Someone help please?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone, anyone?............Bueller...... ........Buller........

ReputationRep:
    Anyone? :/

ReputationRep:
    Credit = borrowing
    Debit = from your money
    Cash withdrawal fee = Not an everyday card, usually for more expensive stuff.
    APR = Annual percentage rate (The amount you pay back increasing)
    ISA = Savings account, there is less tax so if you keep your money in there for a while it will increase faster than a standard bank.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGuy117)
    So recently I opened a student account, no idea what it is, just knew that I had to open an account according to studentfinance.

The bank says stuff like, you will get a credit card, rather than a debit card, apparently £3 charge on cash withdrawls. Some stuff about interest or something...i don't even know.

What is the difference between all these different cards? Why do all these accounts have different names? What is the difference? What are ISAs? Do I have to pay money to have an account? What is this "full debit repayment" tickbox in this application for an account? What is this APR stuff? What is credit interest? What is a credit rating? Will this bank loan me the 9k a year I need? Why do shops brag about having cashback, isn't that just your own money from your account? i understand f***ing squat! I've tried to Google this but all I get are sites explaining what money itself is, which is obviously not what I'm looking for..aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

Someone help please?
    Okay then, here we go a brief and my no means perfect explanation to student accounts and banking in general.

Okay- a student account is a normal account with a better overdraft. For example mine is 1500 for the full 3 years.
    The money you put in your account (either wages, cashing money in etc) Goes into your current account (student account) and this is yours to take out using your debit card. this can be used to spend on anything and you don't pay a penny to use it.
    the overdraft, is a short term loan for when you are a bit short- and when you get money it pays off, so you can go to upto -1500 in you account (you have to pay this back obviously, if you do go over the -1500 the charges are silly, for example 5 pounds per day you are over etc)
    A credit card, is a high interest lending method and i would avoid this as a student. the APR is the interest, the higher the more extra you have to pay.
    An isa, is a saving method, you put money in the isa (useally free) and you get interest (money given to you from the bank) every april, the more you have in the more you gain, however this is usally about 1/2%

The loan you need comes from student finance, not the bank itself. google student finance, they pay your tuition fees straight off and give you a means tested loan or if you are poor enough a loan and a grant.
    I hope i have helped, sorry about spelling or anyother inaccuracies, i really shouldn't be awake right now. Coursework deadlines are killing me.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you Both!!! I would rep but I have none left today.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.