Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am new to TSR.
    I did maths as an option at my college and I was an awful student. I was in the top group of people in my class who actually understood the course, and most topics we learnt in class I understood.
    However, I was going through a time in my life where I was seriously unmotivated and I had personal troubles which I struggled to overcome (and these are only just being forgotten about... which leads me to writing this post.)
    I did not do my homework. We got given a set of 12 or so questions exam level every week which took about 3 hours, and I usually started the homework at about 11pm the night before it was due and had a half assed piece of work completed at about 1-2am with mistakes and missing questions all over it. I did not mind as I was adamant that I would do well and those A results were going to naturally come to me (so I thought.)

I was given several warnings about my homework and got offered limited support, but then in January of this year I was kicked off the course. This threw my world upside down and I more or less said to myself 'I will start it next week' and in a mix of procrastination and disaster I find myself, with a month left until my C1 exam, having done no work.

My friends mocked me for it and I said to them "Just you wait, I will get those A's."

So humble Maths AS students, here is my situation:
    29 days until my C1 exam. (13th May)
    33 days until my S1 exam. (17th May)
    40 days until my C2 exam. (24th May)

I have about 112 free hours until C1 exam.
    I have about 132 free hours until S1 exam.
    I have about 162 free hours until C2 exam.
    I have all the textbooks (my ex-teacher thinks she can get those back?! Think again!)

I can get a B in a C1 exam already, but I still need to revise it.
    I know no stats except for the stuff covered in Maths GCSE (not Stats GCSE)
    My C2 is average but I do not know all the course at all.
    I will have to revise for my other exams, but I am doing well in those and I can do this at school and on the side, so please account for this
    Can I do it?!

(I am expecting a grilling from you lot so let me know how stupid I am allowing my self to get to this; its extra motivation)
    (I will be upset with anything below an A)
    (I believe in you guys)

Thank you x

ReputationRep:
    You can do it... But I think you should return the books to your teacher

Posted from TSR iPad

ReputationRep:
    you can do it Do it to prove anyone who doubts you wrong Good luck!

I was totally not motivated for stats last year, but I carried on & got my target grade

If I can do it, you can too

btw, use exam solutions! Best thing ever for help/learning maths

ReputationRep:
    I did the sats gcse last yearm i got an A* in the coursework but ended up with a C overall. I blamed the fact that to start the exam late because i had to do my German Listening Exam at the same time. But tbh i just couldn't be bothered with it. Stats isn't proper maths. Its pure bs. Its pointless. The exam boards and teachers make me sick. I begged the maths department to not make us do stats. I wanted us to do M1 instead because it would benifit those of us doing physics and because stats is pointless. I passionatly hate stats.

I know thats irrelivent but i need to stress how stupidly easy and crap stats is.
    You can easily cover stats in that time.

Core 1 should be ok if u do enough work for core 2 because core 1 is the foundations of core2 and by practicing core 2 u r practicing core 1 whether u know it or not.
    However, you may have left it too late and i dont think id be able to ace c1 &2 in that time. Id probably just be able to scrape a high b/ low a if i was doin all the review exercises and past papers possible. And Understanding them.
    What other a levels r u doin??

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eilish1903)
    I did the sats gcse last yearm i got an A* in the coursework but ended up with a C overall. I blamed the fact that to start the exam late because i had to do my German Listening Exam at the same time. But tbh i just couldn't be bothered with it. Stats isn't proper maths. Its pure bs. Its pointless. The exam boards and teachers make me sick. I begged the maths department to not make us do stats. I wanted us to do M1 instead because it would benifit those of us doing physics and because stats is pointless. I passionatly hate stats.

I know thats irrelivent but i need to stress how stupidly easy and crap stats is.
    You can easily cover stats in that time.

Core 1 should be ok if u do enough work for core 2 because core 1 is the foundations of core2 and by practicing core 2 u r practicing core 1 whether u know it or not.
    However, you may have left it too late and i dont think id be able to ace c1 &2 in that time. Id probably just be able to scrape a high b/ low a if i was doin all the review exercises and past papers possible. And Understanding them.
    What other a levels r u doin??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Law, Economics and business. I am comfortable in all three.

Thank you all for your advice. You are all giving me confidence!

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't worry if i were you, i started studying for my june AS exams around this time last year (i used to be a terrible procrastinator ) and i managed to get good grades, its just important that you are organised and work hard...like ridiculously hard

From a practical point of view

- Make a revision timetable (as complicated or as basic as you like, or you can just make a checklist list of topics )
    - Go through each topic in a chapter and write down any equations that you need to use/remember. Read through examples so you understand them, then do a couple questions from the excercise that follows. Repeat for each topic in a chapter, for C1 it should take around 3/4 hours to do a chapter as far as i remember (been a long time since then though )
    - After studying a chapter do 4/5 exam questions for that chapter, make sure you do different types (i.e. not 5 questions that are the same question just with different numbers )
    - As soon as you feel you know what's going on in each chapter, start past papers, aim for 2/3 maths papers a day

Now usually people try to get really solid in their theory before doing past papers, but i'd recommend starting them as soon as possible, because tbh for AS maths you can get a very good grade just from doing past papers, particularly since you'll realise that after creating 15 past papers, the exam writers end up making lots of the similar questions every year .... so do as many papers as you can

...now get off studentroom and revise .... had to be said

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lilmzbest)
    I wouldn't worry if i were you, i started studying for my june AS exams around this time last year (i used to be a terrible procrastinator ) and i managed to get good grades, its just important that you are organised and work hard...like ridiculously hard

From a practical point of view

- Make a revision timetable (as complicated or as basic as you like, or you can just make a checklist list of topics )
    - Go through each topic in a chapter and write down any equations that you need to use/remember. Read through examples so you understand them, then do a couple questions from the excercise that follows. Repeat for each topic in a chapter, for C1 it should take around 3/4 hours to do a chapter as far as i remember (been a long time since then though )
    - After studying a chapter do 4/5 exam questions for that chapter, make sure you do different types (i.e. not 5 questions that are the same question just with different numbers )
    - As soon as you feel you know what's going on in each chapter, start past papers, aim for 2/3 maths papers a day

Now usually people try to get really solid in their theory before doing past papers, but i'd recommend starting them as soon as possible, because tbh for AS maths you can get a very good grade just from doing past papers, particularly since you'll realise that after creating 15 past papers, the exam writers end up making lots of the similar questions every year .... so do as many papers as you can

...now get off studentroom and revise .... had to be said

Good luck!
    2-3 papers A DAY??! Im lucky if i do two a week!! Am i screwed?? Its only like 4 weeks till the exam!! I dislike maths

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    2-3 papers A DAY??! Im lucky if i do two a week!! Am i screwed?? Its only like 4 weeks till the exam!! I dislike maths

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I can't complete a past paper

Posted from TSR iPad

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    sorry, didn't mean to scare you tbh that was what i personally did, but then again i really like maths, i hate everything else ... and i was doing further maths as well

tbh it depends on how fast you can do them and how many you want to do, if you have 2 weeks before an exam and you do a past paper every day you'll do 14 by the exam which is all of them but tbh i think doing around 5 papers should be enough as long as you mark them thoroughly afterwards

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lilmzbest)
    sorry, didn't mean to scare you tbh that was what i personally did, but then again i really like maths, i hate everything else ... and i was doing further maths as well

tbh it depends on how fast you can do them and how many you want to do, if you have 2 weeks before an exam and you do a past paper every day you'll do 14 by the exam which is all of them but tbh i think doing around 5 papers should be enough as long as you mark them thoroughly afterwards
    Ive done three past papers so far and i still have a montg until the core 1 exam. Im not stressed. But im not not stressed either

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.