Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Worked for some time, quit, took a gap year, started my own business, but i cant seem to find something that's right for me so i'm seriously looking to speak to a career coach in London. Seen a few asking for ~£1000, but cant spend that unless i know they're good.

Have you used one? Any ideas or a good career coach in London?

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't it be quicker to throw that money in the toilet and watch the Pursuit of Happyness?

ReputationRep:
    Just research for a list of job roles and read each, compare with what you can do, what you are passionate about and you won't need to spend money for that. I'm sure they would say the same as you could find on the Internet.

ReputationRep:
    Before you start spending money, try these people: https://nationalcareersservice.direc...ages/Home.aspx (don't confuse with UK Careers Service, which is a private co). I have heard they are really good (with trained career counsellors) and importantly, are free.

ReputationRep:
    I've watched the pursuit of happynes, good film. Not so good in this instance though. I've also done research but I'd like to know what each industry is really like and I fell like only a professional who's career is understanding careers will be able to give insight into many different options.

Thanks for the link InterviewAdvice. I will be calling them right now, you have have saved me a lot of money I don't have. Yesterday I spoke to one of the potential career coaches and I wasn't entirely sold, it felt like every additional minute would be chargeable, which is not really what I want when trying to explore what motivates and drives me.

ReputationRep:
    Did you speak to them? Were they helpful?

ReputationRep:
    I called yesterday to request a face to face with one of their advisors and the person on the phone explained that the London branch was already closed, that I should call today to book an appointment.

When I called today, they tried to put me through to the London office so that I could arrange, but they couldn’t get through so suggested that I try the online advisors for now, and call a little later if I still wanted the face to face with someone. I agreed and had a 2h35m conversation with one of their telephone careers advisor. He was very helpful and I didn’t feel at all rushed. He offered some advice that I had already considered, and a couple of pointers that I hadn’t. He also gave me the name of another online service I could try for more ideas. He also wrote a plan for me to get me started and emailed it.

All and all, I’d definitely recommend it as a starting point for people who are stuck or in a rut. I’m not sure that this will replace a career coach though, as although the advisors want to help make sense of your thoughts so that you can get an idea of what you’d like to do and where you can start it feels like they won’t tell you either way which path is better in their opinion. Kind of like a councillor. If you need someone to nudge you in one direction or other (assuming you need that), perhaps they won’t be as useful as a career coach.

In my situation, I will be doing both: I’ll take up a career coach (paid) and use the guidance from the National Careers Service to get the best possible outcome as I don’t want to be changing careers again. Since the NCS offers some of the paid services that the career coach would charge for, I’ll simply take up a cheaper package to save money so thanks again for the link InterviewAdvice.

ReputationRep:
    You're welcome. I'm glad they were useful. I know that www.penna.com do outplacement for some large blue chip organisations. It doesn't look from their website as though they do career coaching as such (though I would imagine the process is very similar to outplacement) - but it they can't help, they may be able to recommend someone good who does.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.