Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So it says this on my car's fuel cap, and I was wondering what it means by that?

Is it getting at that I'm OK to fill up with Shell Fuel save, or BP's regular unleaded fuel or is it saying that I must fill up with Shell v power, or BP's equivalent?

Im not sure what Honda are quite getting at here

ReputationRep:
    It's fine to use normal fuel. Just means you wont quite get the maximum performance out of the car.
    What car is it?

ReputationRep:
    It's the octane level, so minimum 95 RON.

Shell V-Power is rated 99, for example, most non-premium fuels in the UK are circa 95 RON (including supermarket fuels). Broadly speaking, the higher the number, the less chance of engine knocking. Perhaps the reason this is mentioned is that in Japan, the 'regular' fuel is only 90, and premium is 100. It'll matter more in Japan with those numbers than over here, but with it being a Japanese car perhaps they always put it on the cap regardless. It also means less strain on the engine (knocking can cause damage to parts) so it's in the manufacturer's interest to recommend higher octane fuels.

In short, regular UK fuel will be fine, if not ideal, but this applies to most petrol-engined cars.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camoxide)
    It's fine to use normal fuel. Just means you wont quite get the maximum performance out of the car.
    What car is it?
    (Original post by russellsteapot)
    It's the octane level, so minimum 95 RON.

Shell V-Power is rated 99, for example, most non-premium fuels in the UK are circa 95 RON (including supermarket fuels). Broadly speaking, the higher the number, the less chance of engine knocking. Perhaps the reason this is mentioned is that in Japan, the 'regular' fuel is only 90, and premium is 100. It'll matter more in Japan with those numbers than over here, but with it being a Japanese car perhaps they always put it on the cap regardless. It also means less strain on the engine (knocking can cause damage to parts) so it's in the manufacturer's interest to recommend higher octane fuels.

In short, regular UK fuel will be fine, if not ideal, but this applies to most petrol-engined cars.
    Hmm thanks for the advice. I've found that weirdly, Shell fuel gives me better Mpg. Any way, it's a Honda Civic hybrid that I have

I know about the octane levels, but I thought perhaps they're recommending premium fuels because they have more additives or something like that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by de_monies)
    Hmm thanks for the advice. I've found that weirdly, Shell fuel gives me better Mpg. Any way, it's a Honda Civic hybrid that I have

I know about the octane levels, but I thought perhaps they're recommending premium fuels because they have more additives or something like that
    Then you're fine then. All fuel in the UK is 95 octane which is standard not premium. Our premium fuel is usually 98 octane.

It's usually only high performance cars that are affected by using non premium fuel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camoxide)
    Then you're fine then. All fuel in the UK is 95 octane which is standard not premium. Our premium fuel is usually 98 octane.

It's usually only high performance cars that are affected by using non premium fuel.
    Hmm fair enoughs. No expensive V power needed then Tbf, this isn't really a "high performance car" It's more a cheap to use car

ReputationRep:
    I would imagine regular 95 RON will be fine in a Honda Civic, maybe the sticker is more applicable to other markets that don't have as high quality fuel as we have here?

I know on high performance cars you should use premium stuff if the manufacturer tells you to.

I don't know much about hybrids, but it might be worth giving it a tank of premium and seeing if that makes much of a difference to the fuel economy? My Dad has taken to using premium diesel in his A4 3.0 TDI as it returns more miles per gallon and actually offsets the higher cost of the fuel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1992LP)
    I would imagine regular 95 RON will be fine in a Honda Civic, maybe the sticker is more applicable to other markets that don't have as high quality fuel as we have here?

I know on high performance cars you should use premium stuff if the manufacturer tells you to.

I don't know much about hybrids, but it might be worth giving it a tank of premium and seeing if that makes much of a difference to the fuel economy? My Dad has taken to using premium diesel in his A4 3.0 TDI as it returns more miles per gallon and actually offsets the higher cost of the fuel.

Well normal Shell definitely seems to give better Mpg, but shell vpower not so much. Normal shell seems to be more cost efficient as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by de_monies)
    Well normal Shell definitely seems to give better Mpg, but shell vpower not so much. Normal shell seems to be more cost efficient as well
    Problem solved!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1992LP)
    Problem solved!
    Perhaps. I thought I'd ask because I didn't really want to do damage to the engine. I guess Ill keep filling up at Shell and use their "fuel saver" option

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.