Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is £350 enough to live on watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    This is 41 weeks do uni.
    This amount is left after accommodation which is catered meaning all food is sorted.

will this amount buy the course text books, print paper etc?
    Instead of going to the gym, I plan to jog? Saves money.
    What other expenses are there at uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apple1992)
    This is 41 weeks do uni.
    This amount is left after accommodation which is catered meaning all food is sorted.

will this amount buy the course text books, print paper etc?
    Instead of going to the gym, I plan to jog? Saves money.
    What other expenses are there at uni?
    Living on £8.53 a week... Don't think that's viable really. Of course it is possible, but not probable.

ReputationRep:
    Food, laundry, travel, eating/going out (eg. cinema), video games/DVDs... honestly, I'm going to say 'no'. You'll be able to stretch it for the necessities, but it won't be fun. Get yourself a part time job, though, and you'll be minted.

Have you taken into account your scholarships or bursaries yet, btw?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by March)
    Food, laundry, travel, eating/going out (eg. cinema), video games/DVDs... honestly, I'm going to say 'no'. You'll be able to stretch it for the necessities, but it won't be fun. Get yourself a part time job, though, and you'll be minted.

Have you taken into account your scholarships or bursaries yet, btw?
    No this does not include bursaries.

food had been covered, so no problem there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apple1992)
    No this does not include bursaries.

food had been covered, so no problem there
    I have no idea why I wrote food there haha, I actually remembered that was covered as well. But yeah, I meant even without food it's not a lot of money at all. University isn't a three year long break from being alive, you're still going to want to do a lot of the things you did before uni at uni.

ReputationRep:
    Ok luxuries will take a back seat

ReputationRep:
    If you buy the cheapest food you can get, not eat a lot, and rarely go out, then that should be enough to live on.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh, I think your social life will pretty much go down the drain if you don't have any other sources of income

ReputationRep:
    I spend about £5 a week on laundry alone, which would be most of your budget! Couple that with textbooks and stuff (which can get very expensive very quickly) and you're out of money... on top of that, you've got stuff like buses, nights out, predrinks, going to the cinema...
    You could do it I suppose, but you wouldn't have much scope for the traditional university style social life, and the slightest little thing (say your bike light broke or something) and you'd be out for 2 weeks.
    I'd really try and get a summer job and earn a bit more cash, even just a few hundred pounds would really help here.

ReputationRep:
    Part time job- get one.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.