Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Police presence is definatley being felt in central London and its train stations a security announcement is now pratically being made every five minutes. This is doing more to panic people than reassure them.. I mean the London Underground is an easy target and police presence won't change that. So what is the government trying to do exactly? I feel that Blair wants to keep people on edge, and keep them on his side. Any thoughts..?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    Police presence is definatley being felt in central London and its train stations a security announcement is now pratically being made every five minutes. This is doing more to panic people than reassure them.. I mean the London Underground is an easy target and police presence won't change that. So what is the government trying to do exactly? I feel that Blair wants to keep people on edge, and keep them on his side. Any thoughts..?
    i see your point but people should be kept aware and alert to be suspicious and police presence is doing that as well as they are train to look for things we would ignore as nomal event.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    Hmmm... although I'm very rarely in London, I think I'd feel safer with more police presence. I like it when I see police on patrol cos then they actually appear to be doing their job... so often they get called out to deal with yobs but there's nothing they can do :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Keeping the potential terrorists also on edge, hopefully.

ReputationRep:
    But it seems to me like they have no real role there. A terrorist can so easily attack the tube in many different ways. The security alerts being issued are common sense. So why do it? I may be wrong here.. we arehn't really told about the state of security- but the obvious conclusion is that if we are all slightly paranoid, we wont question the motives of our government...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    Prevention is better than cure.

ReputationRep:
    What would you do if you heard that a gang of bullies were causing trouble in the area of your school, and several kids had got beaten up? would you simply go about as you normally would, knowing your route home might be where they hang around, or would you change your routine in order to lessen the chance of meeting them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    What would you do if you heard that a gang of bullies were causing trouble in the area of your school, and several kids had got beaten up? would you simply go about as you normally would, knowing your route home might be where they hang around, or would you change your routine in order to lessen the chance of meeting them?
    That's a completley different situation to this..

I don't think I would change my routine if I had to use the Underground every day. As far as I'm concerned there's more chance of being hit by a car that being a victim of a terrorist attack. The worrying thing is that a lot of people are not thinking rationally and will change their routine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    Prevention is better than cure.
    I agree. But my point is that the police can not prevent anything..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    I agree. But my point is that the police can not prevent anything..
    No maybe not. But they are trained to deal with these things better than we are and it is their job to look out for things that are 'odd' when we have to get on with our lives.

ReputationRep:
    If you know a threat is coming, you will act upon it, otherwise you seem complacent and slightly arrogant, as you almost give the view that you cannot be touched by terrorists. The americans had a similar attitude before 9/11, they thought they were immune.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    I think the fact that we haven't been hit with a terrorist attack lately despite being ostensibly on the Al-Qaida hitlist is testimony to good policing and intelligence work.
    I doubt that's the case, but as I said before, this is just speculation on my part. None of us can really be sure how much the government has done or hasn't done in protecting us.

..this might sound ridiculous, but I think the government should be more open about security alerts and tell us exactley what our situation is instead of creating paranoia through uncertainty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    Did anyone hear about the ppolice officer accused of rape?

You really shouldnt trust police officers.....

ReputationRep:
    I went on the underground yesterday and it was terrible. Euston station being closed for a suspiscious package and signal failure (although that is a different thing altogether) I feel the government is really just spreading fear and not helping matters. How can they say "we know there's going to be an attack, but we don't know when and we don't know where" anyone can work that out seeing as we are America's closest ally, we attacked afghanistan and Iraq so it's really obvious.

The most likely terrorist threat would probably be a suicide bombing and probably in a shopping centre on a weekend such as Selfridges or Harrods etc. This tube policy is only aimed at packages, a suicide bomber is going to be a lot more difficult to detect. I have no doubt that the terrorists will succeed in an attack and the government is just helping them at the moment; by spreading fear and un-certainty.

ReputationRep:
    If you know a threat is coming, you will act upon it, otherwise you seem complacent and slightly arrogant, as you almost give the view that you cannot be touched by terrorists. The americans had a similar attitude before 9/11, they thought they were immune.
    are you talking about actually acting on it, or being SEEN to act on it?

ReputationRep:
    so ignoring a treat is better than over-reacting?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Well, you'd think the UK would be a more obvious target than Spain. Of course we can't be sure how much is being done, but I think we can be pretty sure that if they are doing nothing we'd have been attacked left right and centre.

I thought they were giving us a reasonable amount of information. They can't give out too much detail or people will panic and/or intelligence operations may be blown. We've been warned in the last few days to brace ourselves for an attack - can't say fairer than that. If it did happen out of the blue the government would lose face more than if we were pre-warned, even though it doesn't help the situation much.
    I don't agree that you can be sure that the government is doing something right if we haven't been attacked. Terrorists aren't stupid, they are cold and calculating and they will strike when they believe the time is right and when they think it will have the most impact. For Spain it was right before the elections- so yes, Spain was a more obvious target with hindsight.

They give us no information, apart from "be alert".. they never tell us why, when, where etc. In my opinion, Blair is using National Security as a shield to hide behind when he wants to do something controversial (asylum bill, guatanemo bay..) It's a twisted type of manipulation that more people should be aware of.

ReputationRep:
    No, I never said that- but making an ACT of it is worse that simply ignoring it.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, the threat is always there and the government don't really have a clue - or they lead the general public in to thinking they don't have a clue. If they didn't tell the general public anything, people wouldn't be so worried and anxious. This is what the terrorist want and the government is helping them in achieving their task. Once we've had our terrorist threat then we can over-react as there will be something to be worried about.

These are just my sentiments at the moment about the way the government is treating matters and making people feel very uncomfortable.

ReputationRep:
    In some ways the situation is similar to that at Heathrow last year when the Government called out the tanks. It is different in that there has been a recent attack within Europe, but the measures at Heathrow seemed to an attempt at giving the public an outside focus. By giving people something to look at, the impression is that there is something to defend against: a siege mentality.

Never forget that foreign policy has always been used to distract attention from a failing domestic policy. Henry V did it in the Agincourt campaign, the Argentines over the Falklands, and Tony Blair throughout his career (Kosovo, Liberia, etc etc).

All the same, it is not something you want to bet against: we do not know the deterrent effect police and army presence has on terrorists. Nor do we know the full extent of the war on either side, terrorists or security forces.

As in all wars the first casualty is the truth.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.