Paranoia.. or sensible precautions? Watch

This discussion is closed.
G4ry
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Heathrow was just a piece of propaganda to try and sway the public in favour of the iraq war. There was no threat at Heathrow airport, for 2 (or however many days) some guys from the army just sat in their tanks and half-tracks doing nothing. We pay them so they have to do something as they are usually a waste of money and they needed a bit of practise for the iraq war.
Elle
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by winorloose)
In some ways the situation is similar to that at Heathrow last year when the Government called out the tanks. It is different in that there has been a recent attack within Europe, but the measures at Heathrow seemed to an attempt at giving the public an outside focus. By giving people something to look at, the impression is that there is something to defend against: a siege mentality.

Never forget that foreign policy has always been used to distract attention from a failing domestic policy. Henry V did it in the Agincourt campaign, the Argentines over the Falklands, and Tony Blair throughout his career (Kosovo, Liberia, etc etc).

All the same, it is not something you want to bet against: we do not know the deterrent effect police and army presence has on terrorists. Nor do we know the full extent of the war on either side, terrorists or security forces.

As in all wars the first casualty is the truth.
Well said.

I think were we ultimatley disagree is on the fact that this show is not reassuring people, but panicking them. That is certainly the impression I have been given by other Londoners. And it definatley is an act, because as G4ry pointed out, a suicide bomber will be hard to detect- therefore police are no good in that situation.. and in many others.
Elle
Rep:
?
(Original post by piginapoke)
As for the government, I wouldn't to blame them for something non-existant. If we get attacked and there was a security lapse then blame them. If they bring in crazy new anti-human-rights laws then blame them. But until then, I don't think they've done much wrong on the terrorism issue unless you include getting involved in Iraq.
lol.. Iraq's a pretty huge issue not to include. They have brought in (or are about to) bring in "crazy new anti-human rights" laws. I think your feeding into the propoganda. And I think terrorists are clued up enough not to be frightened by the sight of police or media sensationalism. They feed of this type of thing.
wiwarin_mir
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Take britain for instance, they were not ready for war, and were poorly supplied, which caused unneccissary death.
Elle
Rep:
?
What failing domestic policy?

The governments manouevres may be indeed a smoke screen, but at least I know they are at least vaguely taking it seriously. It would be so much worse if we do get attacked and the government has done absolutely nothing despite several huge warnings. So, smoke screen or not, I'm glad they are actually at least prepared in some way.
Hmmm.. maybe the pensions crisis, ridiculous council tax, the NHS, police apathy.. jus to name a few issues..
Elle
Rep:
?
You're right. Blair really wants to be a dictator and remove all our human rights secretly so we can't vote him out and anyone who speaks out against him will be locked up without trial. Before you mention propaganda, think of your unfounded accusations about the government in previous posts.
My accusations (and yes I agree that they are unfounded) aren't based on any type of propoganda.
Elle
Rep:
?
You're publishing opinions with no basis on a website. Sounds like propaganda to me.
:confused: what!? I'm just stating my opinions. This is an issue that no one is able to base facts on because we aren't given enough information. Take a closer look at your accusations before making them.
Danithestudent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Having a police presence to a certain extent is a little redundant. They won't stop any terrorist or anybody from chickening out (they do it they die, they don't they will be murdered) but as a certain amount of the population don't understand the fact you can't actually fight terrorism to a point where it doesn't happen. The government need to be seen to be doing something.
pal_sch
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I believe that the UK will definatly be hit by terrorist in the near future. Probably an instertutuional event like the London marathon or something, very... British. They will want us to know that we are targeted. They go for the very sybolic targets that will cause great damage in a practical and human sense as well as political attacks like Spain. An attack that cost non-britains lives or major tourist attractions will cost us tourism. Something on transport or on the main infrostructure of the country will cost us financial and international political power, as well as weakening the populations support for the government when things start getting expencive.
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (209)
12.83%
Excited (144)
8.84%
Worried (295)
18.11%
Terrified (367)
22.53%
Meh (149)
9.15%
Confused (35)
2.15%