Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    When testing for a halogen alkane, you mix silver nitrate (AgNO3) and the halogenalkane with ethanol. But do you have to use ethanol, or can you use water, and why do people often use ethanol instead of water?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hi, How are you ?)
    When testing for a halogen alkane, you mix silver nitrate (AgNO3) and the halogenalkane with ethanol. But do you have to use ethanol, or can you use water, and why do people often use ethanol instead of water?

Thanks
    Water is very polar. Haloalkanes are pretty much nonpolar. Can you see where this might be going?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bananarama2)
    The tests works because you react the haloalkane with sodium hydroxide to give the anion of the halogen which reacts with the Ag+. To ensure you get the anion you need the reaction of the haloalkane with sodium hydroxide to be a substitution and not elimination. The way you ensure this is my reacting it in ethanol.
    I believe A level syllabi teach that hydroxide in ethanol leads to elimination. I also do not think hydroxide is necessary for this test.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illusionz)
    I believe A level syllabi teach that hydroxide in ethanol leads to elimination. I also do not think hydroxide is necessary for this test.
    http://www.chemguide.co.uk/organicpr...nes/agno3.html

ReputationRep:
    To elaborate, silver salts can somrtimes abstract a halide anion from an organic species, but there are other factors which determine how easy it is.

My point about A level syllabi teaching hydroxide in ethanol with heat leads to elimination still stands.

The reason the ethanol is used is a solubility one, not a chemical reactivity one.

ReputationRep:
    Water is very polar. Haloalkanes are pretty much nonpolar. Can you see where this might be going?
    So i presume that ethanol can react with the halogenalkane (as a nuclophile as the oxygen has 2 lone pairs of e-'s). Right?

ReputationRep:
    To elaborate, silver salts can somrtimes abstract a halide anion from an organic species, but there are other factors which determine how easy it is.

My point about A level syllabi teaching hydroxide in ethanol with heat leads to elimination still stands.

The reason the ethanol is used is a solubility one, not a chemical reactivity one.
    Yeh you're right, my bad. I hate organic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hi, How are you ?)
    So i presume that ethanol can react with the halogenalkane (as a nuclophile as the oxygen has 2 lone pairs of e-'s). Right?
    Nope. Haloalkanes won't dissolve in water, which means you'd have a bit of a tough time trying to do the reaction. Ethanol is a very poor nucleophile.

ReputationRep:
    How does it react then?

ReputationRep:
    How does it react then?
    Well everything is soluble in the water/ethanol mixture - it is nonpolar enough for the haloalkane and polar enough for the silver salt.

The silver coordinates to the alkyl halide, and depending upon the nature of the alkyl group (basically how stably the alkyl cation would be), you may get heterolytic fission of the C-X bond, leaving an alkyl cation.

Water or ethanol (probably water) can then react with the alkyl cation.

If the alkyl cation would not be stable, then instead of getting the cation, you simply have an activated alkyl halide, with the silver coordinated to the halogen, giving the halogen a positive charge. This makes the alkyl halide a better electrophile, and now it will be reactive enough to react with water/ethanol (again, probably water).

You do not need to know the details of the reaction though.

ReputationRep:
    Well everything is soluble in the water/ethanol mixture - it is nonpolar enough for the haloalkane and polar enough for the silver salt.

The silver coordinates to the alkyl halide, and depending upon the nature of the alkyl group (basically how stably the alkyl cation would be), you may get heterolytic fission of the C-X bond, leaving an alkyl cation.

Water or ethanol (probably water) can then react with the alkyl cation.

If the alkyl cation would not be stable, then instead of getting the cation, you simply have an activated alkyl halide, with the silver coordinated to the halogen, giving the halogen a positive charge. This makes the alkyl halide a better electrophile, and now it will be reactive enough to react with water/ethanol (again, probably water).

You do not need to know the details of the reaction though.
    Thanks, that's quite interesting.

Well no now. But I might at uni

I also noted you said that a-level syllabuses teach that elimination happens in alcohol. Are you implying it's more complicated than that?

ReputationRep:
    I also noted you said that a-level syllabuses teach that elimination happens in alcohol. Are you implying it's more complicated than that?
    Yeah it is a bit. Hydroxide can act as a nucleophile or a base. You can tweak the reaction conditions to favour one over the other. It so happens that hydroxide in ethanol, at high temperatures favours elimination, and hydroxide in water at room temperature favours substitution.

I'll be honest, I don't actually know what difference water vs ethanol makes - none of the courses I've done covered solvent effects in any sort of detail. The biggest thing I can think of is the bigger increase in entropy of elimination, which explains why it is favoured at higher temperatures.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.