Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This may be the wrong place to be posting, so I'm sorry in advance.

My predicament is I'm currently in my A2 year and an aspiring medical student; but unfortunately I had been suffering from severely painful headaches, back pain and had a huge issues involving fatigue and my level of concentration. This went undiagnosed for some months now, though I had my January modules cancelled because of the great concern of my doctors whilst awaiting MRI scans and so forth. Luckily, I've finally got a diagnoses after nearly 6 months of suffering - that being subluxation of C1 and C2 vertebrae in my cervical spine. The problem is it's only been diagnosed very recently meaning I have in total 45 days to study for 9 examinations ! my teacher told me she had applied for special consideration on my A2 subjects but after research into that, I noticed I could only be awarded an additional 5% to my overall UMS. This is horrible news because my typical university offers are AAA and I really think I won't be achieving those at all with all my time off school and huge time constraints I'm under. Also I'm still undergoing some treatment !

I completed my UKCAT and achieved 745 and had achieved AAAB in my AS subjects, my predicted grades are A*A*A*A I know I need to take a gap year. I really think the grades I'll achieve from completing my exams this summer will be around the C grade . What do I do now ? Should I consider re-doing the year next year to fill in for my gap year ? Should I submit an extenuating circumstances with my UCAS next year ?

Thanks for reading all of that and I really hope someone can help shed light on this whole issue - I'm really terrified to think I may not be able to do my degree I've worked so hard for over something that was out of my control !!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Integration246)
    This may be the wrong place to be posting, so I'm sorry in advance.

My predicament is I'm currently in my A2 year and an aspiring medical student; but unfortunately I had been suffering from severely painful headaches, back pain and had a huge issues involving fatigue and my level of concentration. This went undiagnosed for some months now, though I had my January modules cancelled because of the great concern of my doctors whilst awaiting MRI scans and so forth. Luckily, I've finally got a diagnoses after nearly 6 months of suffering - that being subluxation of C1 and C2 vertebrae in my cervical spine. The problem is it's only been diagnosed very recently meaning I have in total 45 days to study for 9 examinations ! my teacher told me she had applied for special consideration on my A2 subjects but after research into that, I noticed I could only be awarded an additional 5% to my overall UMS. This is horrible news because my typical university offers are AAA and I really think I won't be achieving those at all with all my time off school and huge time constraints I'm under. Also I'm still undergoing some treatment !

I completed my UKCAT and achieved 745 and had achieved AAAB in my AS subjects, my predicted grades are A*A*A*A I know I need to take a gap year. I really think the grades I'll achieve from completing my exams this summer will be around the C grade . What do I do now ? Should I consider re-doing the year next year to fill in for my gap year ? Should I submit an extenuating circumstances with my UCAS next year ?

Thanks for reading all of that and I really hope someone can help shed light on this whole issue - I'm really terrified to think I may not be able to do my degree I've worked so hard for over something that was out of my control !!
    Did you apply to university this year?

You got high AS grades, and predicted grades, and you also did well on the UKCAT. So, you could speak to the universities you've applied to as they may let you submit a new reference from your referee, outlining the circumstances. OR you could get a letter from your doctor (they may charge you £15 - £50 though) and see if the universities will accept it.

There is still a chance you'll be let in this year, even if you get poor A2 grades

ReputationRep:
    I did apply this year and got 2 offers - from KCL and Manchester. I spoke to my universities about it a little bit ago but because it was undiagnosed, they said they couldn't do much about helping me this year. One of my admission tutors said she'd recommend taking a gap year? Do you think it would be worth getting in touch on Monday again ?

And thanks for your help

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I am in a similar position thanks to appendicitis and kidney stones. I unfortunately have little idea what advice to give. Talking to your exams officer at school is a good start as they can get the extenuating circumstances and the extra UMS. For the time being I would advise working as much as you can (without compromising your health) as you may even get the grades anyway.

Universities tend to be fairly good about this sort of thing anyway so keep the correspondence up with them and keep records of it all. They can sometimes lower the offer or just let you in anyway. A gap year (depending on your health) may be a good idea in which case they can sometimes just defer your offer.

The most important thing is your health. Med school can wait.

GOOD LUCK :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muppet Science)
    Hey,

I am in a similar position thanks to appendicitis and kidney stones. I unfortunately have little idea what advice to give. Talking to your exams officer at school is a good start as they can get the extenuating circumstances and the extra UMS. For the time being I would advise working as much as you can (without compromising your health) as you may even get the grades anyway.

Universities tend to be fairly good about this sort of thing anyway so keep the correspondence up with them and keep records of it all. They can sometimes lower the offer or just let you in anyway. A gap year (depending on your health) may be a good idea in which case they can sometimes just defer your offer.

The most important thing is your health. Med school can wait.

GOOD LUCK :yep:
    You can definitely understand your frustration, being this way really makes you appreciate good health! I guess I'll have to see my summer exam results to make a good judgement on my options.

I really hope you get well soon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Integration246)
    You can definitely understand your frustration, being this way really makes you appreciate good health! I guess I'll have to see my summer exam results to make a good judgement on my options.

I really hope you get well soon
    You said in your first post that you now have a diagnosis.

If this is true, contact KCL and Manchester again. They said there is nothing they can do when it was undiagnosed, but now your situation has changed. It can't hurt to give them a call

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.