Maths advice needed & the best text books for C1, C2, S1 and S2 (edexcel). Watch

Mike23
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Hey, I am studying the following on my own for the January examinations, what are the best text books I can purchase (Edexcel)?

Does anyone think I am speeding it up by doing the 4 units (C1, C2, S1 and S2) in the Jan 2007 examinations?

I feel its possible, provided I work everyday. Some of my friends feel the time is not enough and for me to sit for the May 2007 examinations.

What do you all think?
Pls do share your views.

Thanks in advance

Cheers
Rahim
shellz_luvz_ya
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
We use Heinnemann books.
All depends how good you are at maths. i got an A* at GCSE but have completely lost interest this year and am going to fail big time.
Ive done C1 and c2 which were quite difficult but S1 is much easier.
Mike23
Rep:
?
I bought the Heinnemann books recently for C1, its really good with proper examples and plenty of sums. Amazing book, and the best part is, its made for the Edexcel specification so I wont learn anyting out of the syllabus. Like I did for GCSE.
Just some guy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
If you're studying on your own I would stronly recommend taking MEI mathematics from OCR - their textbooks are brilliant.
Coolraj
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Just some guy)
If you're studying on your own I would stronly recommend taking MEI mathematics from OCR - their textbooks are brilliant.
I have that book (even though I follow Edexcel specification)... that is a good book.. but dont waste your money on it if you are sure to follow edexcel specification (I got my copy of that book from my cousin)... and yes... it is possible... but it will be very tough... you will have to work three times as hard as your friends... if I were you, I'll go for it. what other subjects have you planed to do next year? any science related? If so, it will be ever toughter! good luck with it
Mustard-man
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...25#post4794525
gerrard02
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
I also recommend the henmann books. We don't use these books at school but i used them to revise and they are much clearer than the crap,huge book we have with no colors. If you work in the summer you can easily finish C1 and C2. If working every day for about 3 hours you could finish C1 and C2 in maybe 1 month,but ideally 6 weeks. Do some exam papers after finishing C1 before moving to C2. The exam papers are difficult at the beginning as the questions are asked differently but they are easy to get used to.
I think that it's possible to do S1 in a week and a half. I haven't done S2 yet but i think there's only 4 to 6 chapters.

To manage to all this or ur own u'll need to be very motivated and work hard.
And always remember that to do well in maths a levels u always need to practice exam papers as the same type of questions are always asked.
Just some guy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
oh, I should add www.meikleriggs.org.uk has answers for all the MEI papers for the past decade or so (it's saved my arse many times); it's free, all you have to do is register (but it doesn't give the question papers, only answers)
jason01
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The thing with maths is that you have to practise every single question that you can lay your hands on (of course it has to be related to your specification)
I would say that C1 and C2 are ok, but S1 and S2 are quite tricky, since you will definitely get some questions on the exam that you have never seen before.
Mike23
Rep:
?
Hey guys, sorry to interupt, but where can I buy these books in London? I will be coming there soon, please suggest a good bookshop where I can get the longman books, the collins and these soloman papers, I will prefer a bookshop which has all these books in one stop.

Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (329)
37.3%
No - but I will (71)
8.05%
No - I don't want to (63)
7.14%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (419)
47.51%

Watched Threads