Turn on thread page Beta

Is violence in all forms of media causing anti-social behavior in children? watch

ReputationRep:
    Is all the viloence in every corner of the media, from tv to films, games to magazines, causing the youth of today to become more hostile and anti-social?

ReputationRep:
    Anti-social behaviour is caused by the will of anti-social people. Punish the anti-social people and you'll lose the anti-social behaviour. But don't mess with my right to enjoy Quake III Arena or read Hamlet within the privacy of my own home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommorris)
    Anti-social behaviour is caused by the will of anti-social people. Punish the anti-social people and you'll lose the anti-social behaviour. But don't mess with my right to enjoy Quake III Arena or read Hamlet within the privacy of my own home.
    Haven't you ever felt the urge to grab a proverbial rail gun and shoot someone with it, or get a claymore and cleave them in two? I know I have sometimes.

I for a fact that, even though games can provide a good outlet for pent up stress, they can also give you a subconcious urge to continue the game in the real world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    Haven't you ever felt the urge to grab a proverbial rail gun and shoot someone with it, or get a claymore and cleave them in two? I know I have sometimes.

I for a fact that, even though games can provide a good outlet for pent up stress, they can also give you a subconcious urge to continue the game in the real world.
    There is a difference between an "urge" and an "action". I may be urged to fire off a few rails in to, well, lecturers, politicians, that guy who lives upstairs and plays loud, crap dance music late at night. But because of self control, an element of exercising free will over my actions, I don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Some people have a hard time distinguishing fantasy from reality.

There are plenty of outlets for stress other than attacking someone. Sport for example.
    And sports arn't stressful.

Literally all sports are competative, which will heighten aggression as you wish to win

ReputationRep:
    Is all the viloence in every corner of the media, from tv to films, games to magazines, causing the youth of today to become more hostile and anti-social?
    That's one possible cause. In my opinion bad parenting is to blame a lot more for anti-social behaviour in youth/children than the media.

I'm afraid to have to say that there are many parents out there today who aren't really responsible enough to house train a puppy, let alone bring up children.

ReputationRep:
    Some people have a hard time distinguishing fantasy from reality.

There are plenty of outlets for stress other than attacking someone. Sport for example.

Literally all sports are competative, which will heighten aggression as you wish to win

ReputationRep:

Then do pub-darts instead. You might get aggressive after all that beer but you'd probably be too fat to harm anybody.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Then do pub-darts instead. You might get aggressive after all that beer but you'd probably be too fat to harm anybody.
    Apart from if you fell on top of someone, perhaps.

I think in some ways tv/video games contributes to children's general lack of respect towards most forms of authority, although I doubt it directly inspires a great many to commit any seriously violent acts. Most of it is down to irresponsible parenting though - I don't think there is too much violence on TV, but I think the parents don't talk to their kids about it as they should. Not that many parents seem to say things like "Don't worry, it's only make-believe" when something a bit nasty happens on television, to assure the child that that's not the sort of thing that's acceptable in real life. Of course children are by no means stupid, and don't believe something is normal and truthful just because it appears on TV, but to some extent I think it still makes them a little less certain of the way to properly act, especially at a young age.

I think it's a more general lack of parenting skills than anything particularly related to forms of media though. Parents simply don't control their children like they should.

ReputationRep:
    Parenting is definitely less strict than in the 'old days' where discipline was paramount. Correlation between the recent anti-smacking campaigns and unruly kids?
    Big correlation I'd say.

I went to a very minor prep school when I was young. A very old fashioned place it was (the teachers all used to wear academic gowns!-can you believe it?)

Anyway, I had many a good thrashing from the Headmaster (cain/slipper accross the ass etc) but I'd never have dared tell my old man cos he'd have given me another bloody good hiding for being out of line.

Nowadays of course, a teacher has only to raise his voice at a misbehaving child and he'll either get a punch on the nose from a protesting, loutish parent, or find him'herself sued for upsetting the little ****'s feelings. I feel sorry for teachers now.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I never thought I'd feel sorry for teachers, but they have a job I certainly wouldn't want to do. They have to control all manner of little gits while having virtually no power over them.

But, it definitely starts at home. Teachers had pretty much the same powers now as they did when I was at school (i.e. none) but there weren't many lawsuits or punchings to speak of. I resented teachers (they hated me) but I didn't act up in class because my Dad would have kicked lumps out of me. Nothing like the fear of a beating to get a kid to behave...
    Yes, it does start at home. Which sort of proves Hilary Clinton wrong. It doesn't "take a village to raise a child" just 2 (and sometimes 1 as well) decent parents.

So spoketh Howard, "the voice of reason" (or was it "the voice of altzeimers?"......I forget now....erm......)

ReputationRep:
    Anti-social behaviour stems from the fact that no-one teaches their children manners or respect anymore. Did anyone see the 'carrot/stick' programme? The stick team did so much better because they had strong discipline and weren't given choices a lot of the time. It really bugs me when parents ask their children 'what do you want for tea?' and 'where shall we go on holiday?'. You get what you're given as far as I'm concerned. A lot of parents spoil their children (maybe because some of them feel guilty about all the children in the house having different dads or something - I apologise for sounding narrow minded, this is the extreme of my view) and in giving their children whatever they ask for the children don't learn that decisions have implications or that sometimes you just can't have what you want. Children need to learn that no means no otherwise they grow up doing whatever they can to get what they want - including stealing, bullying, fighting...and all the other anti-social behaviours that manifest themselves.

ReputationRep:
    Blaming the media for violence among the kids is just a way to throw away the responisbilty from parents, school teachers and the government for not dealing with the conditions in the public school system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    Anti-social behaviour stems from the fact that no-one teaches their children manners or respect anymore. Did anyone see the 'carrot/stick' programme? The stick team did so much better because they had strong discipline and weren't given choices a lot of the time. It really bugs me when parents ask their children 'what do you want for tea?' and 'where shall we go on holiday?'. You get what you're given as far as I'm concerned. A lot of parents spoil their children (maybe because some of them feel guilty about all the children in the house having different dads or something - I apologise for sounding narrow minded, this is the extreme of my view) and in giving their children whatever they ask for the children don't learn that decisions have implications or that sometimes you just can't have what you want. Children need to learn that no means no otherwise they grow up doing whatever they can to get what they want - including stealing, bullying, fighting...and all the other anti-social behaviours that manifest themselves.
    lol

ReputationRep:
    Anti-social behaviour is being more widespread nowadays due to the change in society. In the olden days we were all together in a community with a church, it was social. However with the invention of the internet, tv etc we have become more distant. How often nowadays does one interact with someone without using a piece of technology. There isn't any body language, eye contact etc.
    It is partly down to media etc but it's only the more deep rooted stuff like alienation of our culture etc that is also to blame. We don't have an identity anymore and we see others (for example illegal immigrants) as a folk devil. Read Stan Cohen's book on Moral Panics and Folk Devils and you'll understand what I mean.
    It also explains townies/kevs/trevs/trendies and their desire to smash stuff

ReputationRep:
    As for the smacking thing, it's not the infliction of the pain it's the threat! In America you can't slap your own child yet you go and kill thousands of Iraqi's etc.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.