Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,
    I have a slight problem and was wondering if i could get some advice. Because of the demands of my job, i can only get my degree through distance learning ( study at night). I plan on studying with the OU next year. Thing is, the psych degree is slightly disorganised in that i can only study 120 credits over the first 2 years instead of the 180 that i want to ( this is because one of the level 1 courses is only available from october 2014), which will put me behind. i love psychology. i love the humanities also. The humanities degree is completely organised and will take 3 years. I'm now considering taking the humanities degree with an emphasis on english literature. I'm not sure what to take though and the indecision is driving me up the wall!!
    Any suggestions of what to do are welcome!
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jla7)
    Hi everyone,
    I have a slight problem and was wondering if i could get some advice. Because of the demands of my job, i can only get my degree through distance learning ( study at night). I plan on studying with the OU next year. Thing is, the psych degree is slightly disorganised in that i can only study 120 credits over the first 2 years instead of the 180 that i want to ( this is because one of the level 1 courses is only available from october 2014), which will put me behind. i love psychology. i love the humanities also. The humanities degree is completely organised and will take 3 years. I'm now considering taking the humanities degree with an emphasis on english literature. I'm not sure what to take though and the indecision is driving me up the wall!!
    Thanks
    Why does it have to be completed in 3 years?

I think you should take it slow to begin with because you are going to be very tired after working all day and you're not going to have time for yourself. You'll get burnt out and your grades ay suffer.

ReputationRep:
    I think you've got to decide carefully what you want to do. If you want to just do a degree and then go into any job that's fine. I'd suggest doing a general humanities degree if that's the case. But if you want to be a psychologist then you need a good degree before a long hard slog which even then may end in failure because of competition for few positions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jla7)
    Hi everyone,
    Thanks
    You could do an open degree so you can choose whichever modules you want, that way you'd have a nice mixture of psychology and the humanities.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all for the advice. I think I'm going to take the humanities degree and take it slow
    Thanks again!

ReputationRep:
    I would recommend then to consider
    "BA (Honours) Philosophy and Psychological Studies" Degree. (See the faculty of Arts)
    But please check the curriculum and speak with advisers.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.