The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Yeah I find it pretty annoying. It was however pretty disturbing when one of my guy friends starting doing it.
Reply 41
Make a sentence more complete? Look nicer? More neat lol
Reply 42
Original post by Vibenation
I returned the favor by negging you back. I don't like being neg for no reason.

I didn't neg you though.
Rep is just pointless, don't put that much significance to it.
I don't know X
Actually I don't know why I do it, I guess it's a habit X

:-D

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Popppppy
Plenty of guys do it too.

Yeah, when we're sending messages to girls :/
Original post by jblackmoustache
Yeah, when we're sending messages to girls :/

Even girls you don't fancy?
So many guys text me with Xs, a good proportion of my male friends.

I also have a guy mate who sends Xs to his male (and female) friends.
He's not even camp or anything *shrug*
Reply 47
Because I'm sentencing you to death when I do it... X
I only use it when a text could be taken as cold/unfriendly/irritable, so people know it isn't meant to be - a bit like using the word "lol" in instant messaging to make clear that you aren't serious
It's just what you do. If my boyfriend texts me and theres no 'X' I'm like 'Babe, you ok? xx'

My bf's group of friends all do it too, his best friend also gives him a lil 'love ya' every now and then. Well cute. :tongue:

Also it's hard to perceive people's intentions through text so it shows there's no serious **** going down. x :wink: Also smileys obviously serve the same function. Notice the pragmatic difference between......

"Hi, I need to see you in the morning." ..........Sounds like someone's getting fired

and..

"Hi, I need to see you in the morning :biggrin: xx" .........Sounds like someone's about to kiss and tell.
Reply 50
Original post by boba
some of my friends get upset and think I'm annoyed if I don't put an x so I pretty much have to with them. Then it eventually becomes habit so I end up doing it to everyone. Then I can never stop as a precedent has been set that I do and people who wouldn't of originally been bothered would notice the change and think I am annoyed with them.

its a vicious cycle of kisses.

Even as a guy, this happens :| To girls I message either 1,2 or 3 dependant on who they are.

I've had a few guys do it too messaging back but sometimes it just as you say, happens out of habit (lol)

It does get rather annoying if you are constantly texting the same person though, and you feel like dropping the x's since its a constant convo almost.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 51
Some boys do the same
Reply 52
i don't put x's generally, but if i dont put a smiley at all its either " woah, serious conversation here" or " you're annoying. go away."
Reply 53
How dare you say I'm gay! xxXXxx
Reply 54
Someone on this thread is going all neg happy, and isn't getting any kisses :frown:
Reply 55
Original post by Kage
Someone on this thread is going all neg happy, and isn't getting any kisses :frown:

Its not my fault damn it, I want my kisses. Where are there? :confused::confused:
As for your question, I'm not sure. It's probably because of the affectionate stereotype females have. Also, females are stereotypically more politely directly. Athough, I do know a few straight males that use x's in messages to other males.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 57
Original post by pessimist
As for your question, I'm not sure. It's probably because of the affectionate stereotype females have. Also, females are stereotypically more politely directly. Athough, I do know a few straight males that use x's in messages to other males.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That weird, it seem more of a girly thing. Unless its a guy using x to girls which is more normal. But yeah that a weird fact. I can say that I never used X and never will. I don't go that way.
its just something i do automatically now, i don't know why. I think its to make the message look friendly.
They don't, they want the D.

Latest