Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I feel like I know sufficent knowledge for my psychology exams...

I just can never seem to get the last mark on 3 mark questions. I just don't seem to have A grade exam technique, but my knowledge is normally really good getting 10-11 marks on my essays out of 12.

Is there a trick? It's bugging me that I know so much stuff, yet never seem to do as well on the exam!

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the type of question you're being asked.

Commands like identify, state, name, suggest and give require the very briefest of answers.
    Commands like outline and describe require straightforward description.
    Commands like explain and distinguish require some analysis or elaboration of concepts. In the case of distinguish you need to explain the difference(s) between the two things.
    The command briefly discuss requires some description and some evaluation or criticisms and is usually worth 4-5 marks
    If asked to describe a study for 4 marks, you should refer explicitly to the aim, method, results and conclusion.

I usually remind myself that if it's a 3 mark question then I MUST make three points. Usually with 3 marks they want some form of evaluation i.e. case study method is subjective and open to bias in response to Freud for the final mark.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.