Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

I currently have an IPad3, i find it very useful for casual gaming and web surfing but thats i really do however i do enjoy it alot.

I've only got a netbook and looking for a laptop thats more capable really, so i thought about getting a second hand 2012 macbook pro,

I've worked out i can sell my IPad, netbook and use some own savings and afford a next to new Macbook Pro 2012.

But should i stick to my netbook and IPad combo, or trade in for a Macbook which i also think i'd love!

I also am usually always on my netbook throughout the day, which is why i thought about getting a Macbook.

Thoughts are appreciated!

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I never was a fan of Apple until i actually started using their Macbook 2009 which i currently still own. I like the ease of MAC OS and love the trackpad. I also have an ipad mini and like you i use it for casual gaming, reading and watching online streams. However i would always choose my Macbook over an ipad.

ReputationRep:
    hmmmmm

tough

I love my MacBook but it does not have the flexibility of my iPad

ReputationRep:
    I'm leaning towards to the macbook but it'll be a big step selling my IPad! But i can always save up for a IPad mini which isn't too expensive and that way i'll be sorted, i do have an IPhone so thats just like a tiny IPad really anyway isn't it..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexwall21)
    I'm leaning towards to the macbook
    What are you going to be using whatever you end up with to do?

ReputationRep:
    Seriously, Macbook Pro.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    What are you going to be using whatever you end up with to do?
    Mainly College work, web browse, ITunes, Gaming.

Potentially i would love to look into editing which the macbook would enable me to do, as my netbook doesn't have the capability.

ReputationRep:
    I have both. I'm going to be using the iPad for storing my text books on so I can carry them all at once. Then using my MacBook for essay writing and such.

I looked on AppStore and there were no decent word / excel packages that were free (and I don't want to pay £7 for each). The free ones don't have the margin rulers that Word has, instead they're all like Notepad/Text Doc.. if you ever used that on Windows!

ReputationRep:
    MacBook Pro all the way, also you can't properly compare the two, it depends on what kind of ways you need to use the two eg if you have a lot if typing then a MacBook Pro will be more useful or if you just stream occasionally then an iPad.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

I currently have an IPad3, i find it very useful for casual gaming and web surfing but thats i really do however i do enjoy it alot.

I've only got a netbook and looking for a laptop thats more capable really, so i thought about getting a second hand 2012 macbook pro,

I've worked out i can sell my IPad, netbook and use some own savings and afford a next to new Macbook Pro 2012.

But should i stick to my netbook and IPad combo, or trade in for a Macbook which i also think i'd love!

I also am usually always on my netbook throughout the day, which is why i thought about getting a Macbook.

Thoughts are appreciated!

Thanks
    If you do anything fairly intensive such as photo or video editing then you should really go for the macbook pro

However I think for basic web browsing your iPad should be fine and word processing on the netbook.

Also if you do end up considering buying a new macbook pro - I would personally wait 2 months as the macbooks will be refreshed - the new Intel Haswell chip is a guaranteed upcoming update in the entire macbook line up

(but then I would wait another month to get a free £65 gift card as part of the apple back to school deal hehe)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by posthumus)
    If you do anything fairly intensive such as photo or video editing then you should really go for the macbook pro

However I think for basic web browsing your iPad should be fine and word processing on the netbook.

Also if you do end up considering buying a new macbook pro - I would personally wait 2 months as the macbooks will be refreshed - the new Intel Haswell chip is a guaranteed upcoming update in the entire macbook line up

(but then I would wait another month to get a free £65 gift card as part of the apple back to school deal hehe)
    This is true, however i'm not looking at new models because i wouldn't be able to afford one, but i've seen some Macbook Pro's (june 2012 model) for roughly £600 that i think i can afford, i'm all with specs but i don't think the 2012 models will be insanely slow compared to the new 2013 models.

ReputationRep:
    Macbook pro

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by posthumus)

But then you should wait for the annual extravaganza in November

ReputationRep:
    This is true, however i'm not looking at new models because i wouldn't be able to afford one, but i've seen some Macbook Pro's (june 2012 model) for roughly £600 that i think i can afford, i'm all with specs but i don't think the 2012 models will be insanely slow compared to the new 2013 models.
    Wow if you can get the 2012 macbook pro for £600... then I would definitely go for it !

ReputationRep:
    I think you've pretty much answered your own question.

I love my Macbook, it's so easy to use, and it's fast. I think for the time being, it would hurt to get rid of your iPad. You can save up for another - I have an iPad mini which I much prefer to the standard iPads. A Macbook would also be useful for uni work. Notebooks and iPads are handy but you are capable of a lot more on a Macbook, and they are faster.

(Original post by Knalchemist)
    I have both. I'm going to be using the iPad for storing my text books on so I can carry them all at once. Then using my MacBook for essay writing and such.

I looked on AppStore and there were no decent word / excel packages that were free (and I don't want to pay £7 for each). The free ones don't have the margin rulers that Word has, instead they're all like Notepad/Text Doc.. if you ever used that on Windows!
    Download Apache OpenOffice (just google it and you will be able to download the whole suite). It's pretty much identical to word and it's free. It has powerpoint, excel etc. I use it and I have no problems at all, it works fine on my mac. Opens word documents no bother also. I use it for all my uni work.

ReputationRep:
    I'm guessing you'll only get £200 max for your ipad? Just save up for a little longer to get the macbook as i'm sure another one will come up on ebay.

ReputationRep:
    I'd go for the Macbook man. Best thing I ever bought
    Never really seen the appeal of tablets

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chicken Hulk)
    I never was a fan of Apple until i actually started using their Macbook 2009 which i currently still own. I like the ease of MAC OS and love the trackpad. I also have an ipad mini and like you i use it for casual gaming, reading and watching online streams. However i would always choose my Macbook over an ipad.
    I thought the iPad does not have flash - how can you live stream?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TenOfThem)
    But then you should wait for the annual extravaganza in November
    What's that?

Is there another refresh in November ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annuhlees)
    I'm guessing you'll only get £200 max for your ipad? Just save up for a little longer to get the macbook as i'm sure another one will come up on ebay.
    Should be able to get 250 ish for an IPad 3 i reckon, with box etc.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.