Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, there's two questions that I'm slightly confused on regarding their answers. For the first one, I don't understand why 12e- are on the products side, as although this balances the equation, 12e- were not lost in terms of oxidation numbers. Also, could anyone help on explaining an answer for the second question. Thank you
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by candyhearts)
    Hi, there's two questions that I'm slightly confused on regarding their answers. For the first one, I don't understand why 12e- are on the products side, as although this balances the equation, 12e- were not lost in terms of oxidation numbers. Also, could anyone help on explaining an answer for the second question. Thank you
    The half equation for the first question is:

C2H5OH + 3 H2O ----> 2 CO2 + 12 H+ + 12 e-.

Start off by having:

C2H5OH ----> CO2.

You then balance the carbons:

C2H5OH ----> 2 CO2.

Then balance the oxygens with water molecules:

C2H5OH + 3 H2O ----> 2 CO2.

You then balance the hydrogen atoms with protons (H+ ions):

C2H5OH + 3 H2O ----> 2 CO2 + 12 H+.

You then balance the overall charge using electrons:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegodofgod)
    The half equation for the first question is:

Start off by having:

C2H5OH ----> CO2.

You then balance the carbons:

C2H5OH ----> 2 CO2.

Then balance the oxygens with water molecules:

C2H5OH + 3 H2O ----> 2 CO2.

You then balance the hydrogen atoms with protons (H+ ions):

C2H5OH + 3 H2O ----> 2 CO2 + 12 H+.

You then balance the overall charge using electrons:

Usually I'd first consider the electrons, how come that doesn't work with this example?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by candyhearts)
    Usually I'd first consider the electrons, how come that doesn't work with this example?
    It does:

The overall charge in C2H5OH is 0, as it is a neutral compound. Each H atom has an oxidation state of +1 and each O atom has an oxidation state of of -2.

Therefore algebraically, you have the following equation:

2C + 6(+1) + (-2) = 0

2C + 6(+1) = 2

2C = -4

C = -2.

This means that the oxidation state of each C atom in each C2H5OH molecule is -2. However, as there are 2 C atoms per molecule of C2H5OH, the total oxidation states of the C atoms is 2(-2) = -4.

The overall charge in CO2 is 0, as it is a neutral compound. Each O atom has an oxidation state of -2.

C + 2(-2) = 0

C = +4.

This means that the oxidation state of each C atom in each CO2 molecule is +4.

However, bearing in mind that there are 2 molecules of CO2 in the reaction, the total oxidation state of both C atoms in 2 CO2 is 2(+4) = +8.

Okay, so going from an oxidation state from -4 to +8 requires a loss of: 8 - (-4) = 12 electrons.

Therefore, you add 12 electrons to the products side.

I hope this is clear enough

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegodofgod)
    It does:

The overall charge in C2H5OH is 0, as it is a neutral compound. Each H atom has an oxidation state of +1 and each O atom has an oxidation state of of -2.

2C + 6(+1) + (-2) = 0

2C + 6(+1) = 2

2C = -4

C = -2.

This means that the oxidation state of each C atom in each C2H5OH molecule is -2. However, as there are 2 C atoms per molecule of C2H5OH, the total oxidation states of the C atoms is 2(-2) = -4.

The overall charge in CO2 is 0, as it is a neutral compound. Each O atom has an oxidation state of -2.

C + 2(-2) = 0

C = +4.

This means that the oxidation state of each C atom in each CO2 molecule is +4.

However, bearing in mind that there are 2 molecules of CO2 in the reaction, the total oxidation state of both C atoms in 2 CO2 is 2(+4) = +8.

Okay, so going from an oxidation state from -4 to +8 requires a loss of: 8 - (-4) = 12 electrons.

Therefore, you add 12 electrons to the products side.

I hope this is clear enough
    Thank you so much Looking at it now, I'm not sure why I was even confused in the first place as they way you've explained it makes so much sense

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.