(Original post by kezza1993)
    any examples welcomed !
    alkanes
    alkenes
    alkynes
    aromatics
    cyclo

must include their uses within industry
    You can research this easily on the internet. I'll start you off with octane (C8H18) in petrol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegodofgod)
    You can research this easily on the internet. I'll start you off with octane (C8H18) in petrol.
    thanks for your reply but that isnt a pharmaceutical application to be honest

ReputationRep:
    thanks for your reply but that isnt a pharmaceutical application to be honest
    Well to be honest.... If you look at any drug molecule you will find many if not most of those functional groups in the molecule. Just get searching.

ReputationRep:
    Look up aspirin.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    any examples welcomed !
    alkanes
    alkenes
    alkynes
    aromatics
    cyclo

must include their uses within industry
    The pharmaceuticals industry (and others) uses vaseline, which is a mixture of alkanes ...

ReputationRep:
    You won't find many drugs which are hydrocarbons, so that leaves you with reagents/solvents.

Hydrocarbon reagents aren't all that common as most of them don't tend to do much, but there are a few uses.
    Terminal alkynes are used to extend carbon chains.
    Alkenes/alkynes are used in dihydroxylations.
    Toluene/hexane/Petroleum Ether are common hydrocarbon solvents.

ReputationRep:
    - Phenanthrene derivatives are used as pain medications (morphine, codeine, oxycodone)
    - Steranes are probably the most common hydrocarbons used in medicine, as all steroidal drugs have a sterane core with non-hydrocarbon functional groups
    - Hydrocarbon carotenoids are often taken as a supplement, so they can be considered a consumer medicine
    - Parrafin oil can be used as a laxative

These are the ones that came to my mind. Hydrocarbons aren't pervasive in medicine due to their toxicity and ability to cross the blood-brain barrier (in many cases).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i.am.lost)
    These are the ones that came to my mind. Hydrocarbons aren't pervasive in medicine due to their toxicity and ability to cross the blood-brain barrier (in many cases).
    How would they even get into the blood? They're insoluble in water and so I wouldn't expect them to be absorbed well in the gut? I do have a very limited understanding of these processes so could be wrong though.

Also care to explain why you negged me? Not that I care about rep, but I'd like to know why I am wrong. If it was for the many-any typo, well I guess that's unfortunate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illusionz)
    How would they even get into the blood? They're insoluble in water and so I wouldn't expect them to be absorbed well in the gut? I do have a very limited understanding of these processes so could be wrong though.

Also care to explain why you negged me? Not that I care about rep, but I'd like to know why I am wrong.
    My bad. I was unclear, volatile hydrocarbons pass the BBB due to their lipid-solubility.

edit: actually, scratch that - opioids (phenanthrene derivatives) cross the BBB too; I don't really know much about their pharmacokinetics though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i.am.lost)
    edit: actually, scratch that - opioids (phenanthrene derivatives) cross the BBB too; I don't really know much about their pharmacokinetics though.
    I thought opioids are a class of drug which act at a receptor instead of a general structure, and hence lots of them are not phenanthrene derivatives? Even so, I'd be surprised if any of them were hydrocarbons.

The only stuff regarding pharmacokinetic I've come across has been in group meetings as my group does a lot of drug related research, but the impression I got was that you need a drug to have a trade off of being water and lipid soluble.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illusionz)
    I thought opioids are a class of drug which act at a receptor instead of a general structure, and hence lots of them are not phenanthrene derivatives? Even so, I'd be surprised if any of them were hydrocarbons.

The only stuff regarding pharmacokinetic I've come across has been in group meetings as my group does a lot of drug related research, but the impression I got was that you need a drug to have a trade off of being water and lipid soluble.
    Indeed, opioids can also be non-phenanthrene (methadone and fentanyl come to mind). I'm no expert in this field, but I recently read a paper on the aryl hydrocarbon receptor, which can bind cyclic hydrocarbons (among other things) to change gene expression - it's a bit of a hot topic as its function is unknown. So I'm not sure about how the solubility profile of hydrocarbons affects their usage, but they certainly do have many medical applications.

ReputationRep:
    Hello,Do you have books that you can refer that have the above information for further reading?I would also like to find out how parabens are not good for the skin.Thanks in Advancemy

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.