Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Gay Pride, counter-productive or merely flamboyant? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I realize this may wind some people up, but as a Bi-sexual individual who has expereinced abuse due to my preference I never really understood the craziness that is "Gay Pride" by which I refer to the immense festivals, marches, parades, and not the concept of well..being proud..which is dandy.

This little ditti really made me laugh and drove home the point.

Name:  mNhPI.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  177.7 KB

Opinions?

ReputationRep:
    I've always thought it's a slyly derogative way of going about it. It's not like we have a 'Straight-Pride' event every year. By having a celebration it's almost segregating it more by saying we need to make an exception here, as if it's not considered acceptable.

If people want to show that they accept homosexuality in society then they should do exactly that, and not make a big song and dance about it.

Just let people be I say.

ReputationRep:
    Like many such things, it's a double edged sword. On the one hand, it serves a vital service by showing the LGBTQ community that they are welcomed by society, or that there is at least a community which is proud of their sexuality, transexualism and genderqueerness. It reminds people that despite the giant steps forward, the LGBTQ community still suffers massive prejudice, both from within and out and it needs to be dealt with.

However, it does also segregate and create the idea that they are a community apart, just like gay bars, etc. do as well, which makes it harder for them.

But then, within the LGBTQ community there are differing approaches. Some don't want to be accepted as the same and would rather people just accepted them for being different and left it like that, equal rights, no cruelty directed towards them. Others want them to be accepted as just another group within the norm so they can integrate, hit on people at any bar and not be attacked, etc. So, it's really up to what they want from it all, really.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't it more to do with the fact that you can and should be able to do it? Like isn't there also that thing called slut-walk (or something like that) that basically shows women should be able to wear whatever they want without people saying 'oh that's why they got raped'. I know the 2 are different but it's basically the idea that someone is allowed to be gay, and they can be as camp as they want because it's their life and their body at the end of the day. Plus all the other things like being proud to be gay... That's just my interpretation anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what "gay pride" is supposed to be about. Basically my attitude is this: you're gay. So what? I don't care! Be gay! It's nothing to be "proud" about. Straight people aren't "proud" and don't have festivals nor whatever. Murderers, drug dealers, alcoholics, and etc aren't "proud" to be those things and don't have over-the-top things about them. If you're gay, then fine. It doesn't make any difference to me.

As for you, OP, you're bi. Fine.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.